This fabia is being a pain.

LB123

Changed the cam belts this morning. Went without a hitch. Test drive. Lovely. Stopped outside. Got out. Car locked itself with the only key in the ignition. I had been driving with the window down on the test drive. Sods law I shut it as I drove up my street!

Spent the last half hour hoovering up glass from the window I broke to get in, ordering new and throwing things around.

Is there a way to get in other than breaking a window? Answer by PM if there is but only for future use .

And how come the little rat locked itself?

• Sad 1

Replaced the rear driverside quarterlight I smashed to get into the car yesterday. That was a bit of a pain. Went to Murray Skoda in Plymouth and had their last 9 panel poprivets. They're huge. My popriveter wouldn't take them, even if I had the strength to snap them which I probably don't. Renewed the sealant to stop leaks. Still part way through cleaning up the glass fragments. Then on to try to find why the car locked itself. Oh Joy.

P.S.  PILSDON Auto Breakers in Bridport got the replacement window to me, FeDeX express overnight. Brilliant service. £28 all in.

Edited by LB123

should have smashed a front window, they dont require the regulator removing to replace glass just 2 10mm bolts.

I reasoned that whichever window I smashed I would have to remove the regulator to hoover out the glass from inside the door.

Why do you need to remove the regulator for a rear quarter light?

Cos that's what Haynes said. I did have a look with the window down and the door card off. Might have been possible but I couldn't see how. Anyway its done.

The belts were a doddle compared to my Bora which I did 6 months ago. Acres of room. Most difficult bit was removing the alternator belt. Very tough spring in the alternator mount. (No aircon or tensioner idler.) I was standing (65KG) on the alternator at one stage and that did not compress the tensioner spring.