Octavia 1.0tsi SE Tech - Experiences?

5 minutes ago, dogdiego said:

Thanks guys for your help. Seems to be a few of us expecting similar cars!

Since first seeing an Octavia in Red over 2 years ago, I've seen about 3 on the road. Now I've got one in red coming, they're showing up all over the shop :D

June... ouch :( 

2 minutes ago, gRoberts said:

Since first seeing an Octavia in Red over 2 years ago, I've seen about 3 on the road. Now I've got one in red coming, they're showing up all over the shop :D

June... ouch :( 

Current lease car goes back then, so couldn't really take on another. We've lost a lot of kit compared to our current 5008 GT line but I'm so excited to get a DSG box again. Can't wait for a relaxing drive. 

Weirdly some dealers have been okay holding it, others have said that delivery needs to happen before the reg change. Not sure why some say different things, must be for figures. 

4 minutes ago, dogdiego said:

I'm so excited to get a DSG box again. Can't wait for a relaxing drive. 

I hear you. Although I don't really drive much as it is, I do love driving and having the goodies that the SE Tech combined with DSG is only going to make that even better, especially on the longer journeys or in traffic. 

6 minutes ago, dogdiego said:

Weirdly some dealers have been okay holding it, others have said that delivery needs to happen before the reg change. Not sure why some say different things, must be for figures. 

I may be completely wrong here, but I'm pretty sure the ones that won't hold it for you, are only thinking about their current sales targets. 

Had  the 1.0se tech dsg estate for a few months now. I have no issues with the power at all as long as your in the right gear it goes as fast as you need although by doing this myths fuel consumption takes a big hit , doing 20 miles daily my fuel consumption struggles to hit 43 mpg. Apart from that it's a fantastic choice,  I would recommend the rear view camera.

IMG_20180831_134006.jpg

• Like 4

I have had a 1.0 SE Estate with DSG since July this year.  I've done almost 5,000 miles.  The car is great.  I have found no deficiencies in performance and the mpg over this distance has been just short of 50 mpg according to the onboard computer.

We will be taking the car to Austria in January, 4 people plus roof box.  On my experience so far, I have no concerns.  I've done the journey a number of times in our 1.2 DSG Yeti with no problems at all and of course the Octavia has both higher power and torque figures.

People have said you need to be in the right gear but of course with DSG, you are.

I've always been a fan of bigger cars with smaller efficient engines and this car totally fits the bill.

John

• Like 4

12 hours ago, maffyou said:

Good to read some more positive reviews! April seems like a loooong way off at the moment...

Not bragging but even 3-4 weeks seems too long, especially since my current car goes back on 05/12. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gRoberts said:

Just seen the SE Tech in Energy Blue in my own eyes... Glad I decided to change the colour as it's how I imagined it. The alloys are a bit weird too but can live with them.

If you go on auto trader you can probably find an se tech in your ordered colour so you can have a proper look. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dogdiego said:

If you go on auto trader you can probably find an se tech in your ordered colour so you can have a proper look. 

I've seen a few of them knocking about in the red I've picked - I'm happy, but not quite sure about the wheels etc. 

Ignore me for the most part, I'm going from a car that's one or two parts away from being a VRS (engine being one of them lol) to mid-level spec and I'm thinking of all the things I may miss. 

Just now, gRoberts said:

I've seen a few of them knocking about in the red I've picked - I'm happy, but not quite sure about the wheels etc. 

Ignore me for the most part, I'm going from a car that's one or two parts away from being a VRS (engine being one of them lol) to mid-level spec and I'm thinking of all the things I may miss. 

What alloys did you plump for, just the standard 16"? Ultimately my thinking for not going for anything bigger was a 35mm or 50mm set of Eibach springs are a damn sight cheaper than £700 alloys. Cheaper tyres too.

To be honest, I'm in the same boat though. I'm losing a lot of kit in comparison to the current 5008 but it's all swings and roundabouts.

15 minutes ago, dogdiego said:

What alloys did you plump for, just the standard 16"? Ultimately my thinking for not going for anything bigger was a 35mm or 50mm set of Eibach springs are a damn sight cheaper than £700 alloys. Cheaper tyres too.

To be honest, I'm in the same boat though. I'm losing a lot of kit in comparison to the current 5008 but it's all swings and roundabouts.

Yeah just the standards. I don't mind the wheel size/ride height, especially since it makes the ride so much smoother, but the alloys look weird to me.

I have these currently (Denom 17"):

image.png.dbe8c1febc5abf8fbdca210f0efcacdf.png

But the Velorum 16" wheels look a little... weird.

image.png.2c8ab194e12ba6f19ec9b44efd66b82a.png

@gRoberts I know what you mean about the alloys, and I think its just down to 'us' getting used to larger wheels. The Octavia is a big car, and having such high side walls, these days, just jars a little. I have flirted with getting some second hand larger wheels (probably off the forum!) but I just can't be bothered. As you said, it is a mid-spec car (which is a small issue for me too having had top of the range cars - or close- for most of my driving career), but its a tool for me, a 2 year hire car! So, I think I can live with the wheels, especially as the ride is meant to be great on them.

Unfortunately, just had my weekly update from Skoda and no build date so far :(

@dogdiego Did you still manage to get the deal price?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zeddicus said:

@gRoberts I know what you mean about the alloys, and I think its just down to 'us' getting used to larger wheels. The Octavia is a big car, and having such high side walls, these days, just jars a little. I have flirted with getting some second hand larger wheels (probably off the forum!) but I just can't be bothered. As you said, it is a mid-spec car (which is a small issue for me too having had top of the range cars - or close- for most of my driving career), but its a tool for me, a 2 year hire car! So, I think I can live with the wheels, especially as the ride is meant to be great on them.

Unfortunately, just had my weekly update from Skoda and no build date so far :(

@dogdiego Did you still manage to get the deal price?

I've actually enjoyed having smaller alloys/larger tyres, it's saved me a tonne of times where I've hit a kerb etc and my alloys are pretty much spotless, even after two years.

It's just the alloys are damn ugly :D - but if I can't live with it, I will just find some cheap alternatives. 

Mines apparently being built now, or this week, so I'll hopefully have an update at the end of the week/beginning of next.

Unfortunately my current car goes back in two weeks too :( 

• Like 1

My main motivation for getting this deal was because I was fed up of paying so much money for a car, especially one that the vast majority of journeys I make in it are short. My current PCP is almost £300 a month and that was with £3.5k upfront. That's a lot of money for around 8000 miles a year and is hard to justify. I still need something which can fit the wife, daughter and (small) dog in for trips and holidays a couple of times a year, so this deal for the SE Tech was a no brainer. Decent kit level and very cheap, so I can live with the dodgy alloys and iffy colour :D

• Like 2

So Ive just taken delivery of one of these 1.0 models. I took a long motorway journey and to say I was quite impressed is to put it mildly. The car sits happily at 80mph and as long as the revs are over 2200 overtaking is not the chore I thought it would be. This engine is more than 50% smaller than my old car but the difference was not as apparent as I thought it would be. So far I am pretty pleased.

• Like 3

Shouldn't really be surprised because it only takes about 25(?) horses to push an Octavia along at 80mph which is about the max you can stretch uk motorway limits for any length of time without inevitable police or camera attention.

Edited by Gerrycan

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after waiting an age, it turned up this Tuesday and I've been driving it since.

The engine it self, is quiet as a mouse. I thought it would be nosier than the 1.4 due to it being a 3-pot, but it's probably quieter. Certainly shifts, but you have to give it a bit of beans. 

Driving in tiptronic mode is clearly the best, as you can push it out and it shifts when you do. Driving in sport/drive, is great too, as you don't really notice it until you look at the speed.

The only issue I have, which is no doubt just down to experience, is the lag between pressing the pedal and it moving. Putting into drive/reverse, has the expected creep, but I have been caught out when pushing the pedal, it not doing anything and then it shoots off lol.

I love it though, the red is amazing, even though it's a cheap colour.

• Like 2

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 20:49, gRoberts said:

Well, after waiting an age, it turned up this Tuesday and I've been driving it since.

You taking the mickey? :D I see your "age" and raise you 8th April estimate when ordered end of October! :crying:

Glad to hear it's a positive start. I'm looking forward to a quieter engine after years of grunting diesels!

34 minutes ago, maffyou said:

You taking the mickey? :D I see your "age" and raise you 8th April estimate when ordered end of October! :crying:

Glad to hear it's a positive start. I'm looking forward to a quieter engine after years of grunting diesels!

Well, "you snooze, you lose" :D - another member mentioned June/July :o 

It's certainly quiet. Handles hills perfectly fine (I live at the top of a 12%+ incline - great for cycling!) and will happily shift as you put your foot down.

• Like 1