Hit by a driver escaping Police - worth claiming?

alessio92

Hi guys, I could really do with some advice about whether to bother putting in a claim. 

First up, my car. It's a 2003 A4 Avant 1.9TDI Quattro Sport that I paid £750 for earlier this year. Bodywork condition was average - no major visible rust but a couple of small scrapes from the previous owner. 226k on the clock. It's got hugely comprehensive service history and the last owner spent £800 on it about 3 months before I got it; I've since had a new cambelt fitted. I was hoping to sell soon for around what I bought it for (give or take) as it's costing way more than anticipated in fuel, and insurance is higher than my previous A4 Avant SE. I get married next year and am moving to a postcode where insurance is quite a bit higher than my current residence so hoping to reduce costs wherever possible.

Two weeks ago, a guy who was attempting to evade the Police in a chase hit the side of the back of the car. It was a glancing blow, but it's damaged the rear wheelarch and the panel between the arch and the bumper, as well as damaging one rear light. Some of the panel is slightly folded, there's a huge dent and paint has been taken off. I reported it to the Police and they've passed on the driver's insurance details to me.

Thing is, I can't decide if it's even worth making a claim. The loss I have incurred isn't so much in the damage - it's just not worth the cost of repairing and the car's still perfectly driveable & legal - it's in the fact that I now won't be able to sell the car except for scrap, which has probably cost me £600ish. I was banking on that money to go towards the next car. I can put in a claim against the other driver and see if I can get that money back, but I'm more concerned that my own insurer will put my next premium up just for doing so, and that overall I'll end up paying out more than that in increased premiums over the next few years.

Does the fact that the Police can vouch for my total innocence count for anything? Or will my insurer just screw me over anyway? I'm starting to wonder if I just keep the car, run it into the ground and try and save up in the meantime... Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.

I suspect it will end up costing you even as a none fault claim, they will probably increase your initial premium before NCD which will mean you will/may pay more for insurance for the next few years.

That's assuming they can make a successful claim against the car that hit yours, if they can't it may cost you your Excess and your NCD as well.

I'd probably go for the keep it running until it dies option.

Happened to my sister, admittedly a long time ago and the car was new.

Insurance were not really interested and treated it like any other bump where the other party couldn't be identified.

TBH I wouldn't want the claim on record

If the person being chased by the police had stolen the vehicle or managed to evade capture you may be able to claim back from the motor Insurers bureau. 

It will take a long time, your own insurance may be effected whilst sorting it and you may have to pay your excess  in the mean time, but I would contact them and sound it out. 

15 hours ago, alessio92 said:

I reported it to the Police and they've passed on the driver's insurance details to me.

Wow! That must be a first – a driver evading the police was insured for the vehicle he was driving :o

They would write your car off. Even if down as no fault, or a successful claim against the third party, your premium will go up, perhaps substantially if they now class you as living or driving in a crime hotspot.

If the other car owner makes a claim, or the police report the accident to his insurance (which is likely) you will be involved anyway and still end up with you having an accident recorded and revised premium. Not reporting it will then also be against you as its in your contract to do so.

Difficult.

Edited by xman