Tyre Wear on 2.0 TDi 4x4

Luckypants

As the Karoq has been available for close to a year, I wonder if any higher mileage drivers have had to fit new tyres due to wear? If not, how ell are your tyres wearing? My Bridgestones (225/50 R17) have lost 2mm of tread in 8K miles which puts me in the position of having to put new tyres on before the end of the lease. This puts me in a quandary, change the tyres now for a good all-season tyre (Goodyear 4Season Gen2 / Michelin CrossClimate) and get the benefit of better winter performance for most of my time with car, then refit the original tyres to complete the lease OR wear these tyres out and fit the cheapest tyres I can to complete the lease and minimise costs of running the car. I can't weigh it up so any guidance from other with higher mileages would be welcomed.

3 hours ago, agedbriar said:

Is that the tyre size you got from factory?

On 4x4 they should be 225/55 R17, according to my configurator.

My 2.0 TDI SEL 4x4 came with 18's.

225/50/18 with the awful Turanza tyres, unfortunately I don't do the mileage to worry about quick wear, plus the winter rims & tyres are on for 5 months of the year

Is that wear even across all tyres or just the front tyres? Even on AWD the front tyres do most of the driving and most of the stopping, So would front to rear tyre rotation extend tyre life?

Is the tyre wear even? Wouldn't be the first time a vehicle has left the factory needing a good Hunter based wheel alignment.

Tend to agree with the comment that fitting cheap tyres is the most stupid option.

Got a bit side tracked by work....

Sorry got the wheel size wrong, 225/50R18.

My point was (maybe not articulated well) is, do I run the current tyres to death and accept they will not be the best over the winter then fit the cheapest tyres I can find for the last couple of months of the lease - OR change now, to all-season tyres and re-fit the current tyres when those wear out to complete the lease? To help me with that decision, I was asking about real world experience of tyre wear on this model. This would give me an idea if I'm likely to wear out new tyres fitted now before the end of the lease or not.

@Offski Agreed, hence me thinking of fitting tyres more suited to where I live and the weather here. I just don't want to be stuck with a set of tyres that are hardly worn.

@GerrycanWear appears to uniform on all 4 tyres, but they are due to be rotated per the manual for AWD models. Cheap tyres is only an option to run out the last few weeks of the lease, so not stupid.

Change the tyres to high quality all season tyres now. They will be quieter and fit the car performance better than the stock tyres. Only problem is that it will be difficult to find either winter tyres or all season tyres in the 225/50-18 size.

I have been very happy with mine - both on the current Karoq and the previous T-Roc - but have not had any real winter experience with them.

@Agerbundsen You are right, but Michelin do the CrossClimate in 225/55R18 which is 3.3% bigger, within acceptable limits I think.

EDIT: Also available in 235/50R18, which is 1.5% difference. That may be a better option.

Edited by Luckypants

On ‎04‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 13:00, Luckypants said:

As the Karoq has been available for close to a year, I wonder if any higher mileage drivers have had to fit new tyres due to wear? If not, how ell are your tyres wearing? My Bridgestones (225/50 R17) have lost 2mm of tread in 8K miles which puts me in the position of having to put new tyres on before the end of the lease. This puts me in a quandary, change the tyres now for a good all-season tyre (Goodyear 4Season Gen2 / Michelin CrossClimate) and get the benefit of better winter performance for most of my time with car, then refit the original tyres to complete the lease OR wear these tyres out and fit the cheapest tyres I can to complete the lease and minimise costs of running the car. I can't weigh it up so any guidance from other with higher mileages would be welcomed.

When you get to 12,000 miles with 5mm left on the fronts you could swap the tyres front/rear. If you don't fancy doing it yourself local tyre fitter should do it for about £12 possibly saving you from buying more tyres before the end of the lease.:cool:

Edited by shyVRS245
spelling mistake

1 hour ago, Luckypants said:

@Agerbundsen You are right, but Michelin do the CrossClimate in 225/55R18 which is 3.3% bigger, within acceptable limits I think.

EDIT: Also available in 235/50R18, which is 1.5% difference. That may be a better option.

Be careful, 235 m wide tyres are only used by Skoda Karoq on a 19" wheel. When I looked at it, it seemed to me that the 235 mm on a smaller than 19" whell got too close to the strut.

• 3 months later...

Tyres are wearing well. Now at 4.5mm after 12K miles. Wear is even front to rear, so the tyres were not rotated. Fingers crossed I get 20K from the set.

Edited by Luckypants

1 minute ago, Luckypants said:

Tyres are wearing well. Now at 4.5mm after 12K miles. Wear is even from to rear, so the tyres were not rotated. Fingers crossed I get 20K from the set.

Our front wheel drive Karoq is exceptionally good on its tyre wear. Fronts have 6mm left and rears 7mm after 13,000 miles. Very pleased with the standard fit Michelin Primacy 18" tyres, should last 35,000 miles if I rotate them around 17,500 miles.:thumbup:

3 minutes ago, Luckypants said:

Tyres are wearing well. Now at 4.5mm after 12K miles. Wear is even from to rear, so the tyres were not rotated. Fingers crossed I get 20K from the set.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Our front wheel drive Karoq is exceptionally good on its tyre wear. Fronts have 6mm left and rears 7mm after 13,000 miles. Very pleased with the standard fit Michelin Primacy 18" tyres, should last 35,000 miles if I rotate them around 17,500 miles.:thumbup:

Thats because you're a lightweight SHY, all that golfing. And you probably drive it around like Miss Daisy, saving all your pent up frustrations for that fire breathing 750 hp, stage 7 Octavia of yours!

:giggle:

Edited by xman

13 minutes ago, xman said:

Thats because you're a lightweight SHY, all that golfing. And you probably drive it around like Miss Daisy, saving all your pent up frustrations for that fire breathing 750 hp, stage 7 Octavia of yours!

:giggle:

Wife's learns from the best, most economical part-time Karoq driver in the UK. You're are right do my best Miss Daisy impression when driving the Karoq because of the most valuable gift in the world SWMBO, SITTING BESIDE ME. Sorry to Wino for SHOUTING but she's very special and deserves the odd SHOUT OUT, LOL.:clap::inlove::tongueout::blush

• Like 1