Tyre sizes for winters

On my mk1 4x4 that was originally on 205 55 16s I was running 15 inch pepperpots with 195 65 15s to keep the rolling circumferen.  On the mk2 scout the standard size is 225 50 17 so what sizes are people running for their winters?  I was always led to believe that winters should be narrower to help deal with slush and I firmly believe modern cars are getting ridiculously over tyre'd more and more.  

So i was thinking 215 55 17 or 215 60 16 if getting different rims though it ot sure if there is a 16 inch equivalent of the 15 inch Audi pepperpots which we're incredibly light and strong being forged not cast.

That said 225 50 17 winters seem to be reasonable prices..

I dont see why 205 shouldnt be an option either as the haldex really makes up for the reduction in tyre width very well.  Never had issues with loss of traction in the mk1 and that was running 220bhp and 22psi peak boost :D

7 hours ago, karlbar2k said:

On my mk1 4x4 that was originally on 205 55 16s I was running 15 inch pepperpots with 195 65 15s to keep the rolling circumferen.  On the mk2 scout the standard size is 225 50 17 so what sizes are people running for their winters?  I was always led to believe that winters should be narrower to help deal with slush and I firmly believe modern cars are getting ridiculously over tyre'd more and more.  

So i was thinking 215 55 17 or 215 60 16 if getting different rims though it ot sure if there is a 16 inch equivalent of the 15 inch Audi pepperpots which we're incredibly light and strong being forged not cast.

That said 225 50 17 winters seem to be reasonable prices..

Try this calculator - https://tiresize.com/calculator/

either stick with 225/50r17  or go with a 205/60r16 or 205/55r17

5 hours ago, Anddenton said:

205-55-16 On Audi A4 alloys

It's a Scout - needs a bigger overall diameter.

Check the manual, it tells you in there what size you can use. I expect 205 55 16 that you had on originally would be right as it enables you to fit chains if you need to. 225 will be too wide for chains to fit without the risk of catching on something.

Try this site, I think you want "Octavia Tour" for the normal 4x4 unless you have a Scout.

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/skoda/

First set of Nokian Cold Weather tyres were 17 on original Proteus alloys. Very good traction, but found in really deep snow the wheel arches would get filled with snow and then freeze solid. 

Since 2012 I've been using 16 Nokian on steel wheels and never experienced the above. I also found there was a far greater choice in tyres at a far lower price than I got with 17. 

This was taken earlier this year and will give you an idea if you could live with the 'gap' over 17. 

20180118_133141.jpg

9 minutes ago, Anddenton said:

The only alternative size to the 17" given by Skoda for my Scout is 205/55/16

As fitted in the phot above. 

On 06/11/2018 at 03:17, Anddenton said:

The only alternative size to the 17" given by Skoda for my Scout is 205/55/16

Why on earth would they recommend  a tyre that is 25mm less in diameter? 

The speedometer error would be around 11% (speaking from experience, not playing with a calculator).

Speaking from experience i measure the tyres side by side (on and off rims) and also put a tape measure around tyres because the numbers on the sidewalls really do not always tell the same tale as the tape. Brand to brand, tread type to tread type or seasons usage, Summer / Winter / All-weather / All Season / All -terrain / Off-road etc.

Circumference tread on the surface of tyre width sidewall to sidewall or bead to bead and rim protector.

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

Still always going to be horses for courses and location location location and what suits the person paying the money.

Edited by Offski