New Owner - Few Nagging Concerns/Questions

Lewz

Hi all.

I've (very) recently bought a 65 plate Fabia 1.2 TSI 90 BHP. It is a marked improvement on my old motor which was falling to pieces with a bunch of stuff going wrong, luckily managed to get rid before it's next MOT which would probably have cost me an arm and a leg! I bought the car from a skoda dealership and it comes with a years warranty, free MOT, etc as part of an approved used Skoda event.

I've just got a few questions regarding things I've noticed the few weeks I've been driving it, I'm a bit paranoid because I decided to lay down money on a car as opposed to leasing or PCP (was in a position to buy outright so paying interest didn't seem sensible) so it may be me overthinking or obsessing but I thought it best to try put my worries to rest.

1) Fuel Consumption - My daily commute is about 11 miles each way and includes a fair share of stop/start traffic and a couple of steep incline hills (they aren't very big but do need me to drop down in gear to pull up). My fuel consumption is coming out at about 37mpg and that's with me driving it very conservatively. From a full tank i'm at about 1/2 and have covered about 170 miles. I was just wondering if this fuel consumption seems normal? I guess I was expecting a bit better especially since I'm driving sensibly but I'm honestly not sure.

2) External Noise - One thing that I've noticed is that inside the car external sound seems to penetrate quite a bit. It may be that I've noticed it and now I'm obsessing over it slightly but I can hear passing cars very distinctly (don't know how to describe it other than the "whoosh" sound as they pass). My previous older car seemed a lot quieter and more "air tight" than this from what I can remember. I can still hear passing traffic even with my radio up. I just wanted to know if this is normal with the Fabia's or if I might have a problem somewhere? I've checked to make sure a window isn't ever so slightly cracked open or anything and can't find any signs.

3) Space Behind Glovebox -  This is where my lack of car knowledge probably shines through but I thought it worth asking since I noticed it... I noticed after reaching for my glovebox (and going too far) my hand hit an empty space behind/underneath and my hand hit something sticky. Found this a bit weird so I took a picture of underneath and there is a space with components behind and it appeared my hand was hitting a piece of gray sticky material, kind of looks like a sponge? I can post a picture for clarification if required but can anyone tell me what this is?

Apologies for the long post and if these concerns are a bit ridiculous. I'm just a bit of an anxious individual and this was a rather large purchase for me. I ended up on this car after doing a fair bit of research for a reliable runner that hopefully won't sting me for some time with faults (though I know nothing is guaranteed in motoring..). 

Many thanks in advance.

1.  My commute is 12 miles in the country with no stop start. Filled up after 516 miles at 55.8 MPG with the same car as you.

You do need to learn how to get the best MPG out of the car and do the tank to tank MPG calculations first.

2. For me the car is very quite compared to my previous 13 year old Diesel. So I can notice more outside noise with the Fabia.

3. Don't know. will have a look tomorrow.

Thanks AG Falco

You do not mention whether thenre car is a manual or auto.

As AG Falco says it takes a while to work out how best to maximise consumption in different environments.

I reckon it took me near a month to transition from a diesel to petrol.

You will not really know your consumption untill you have done a couple of tanks and recorded them. The display might be optimistic.

Cold starts nearing winter are always worse and then maybe using aircon and heater for humidity reduction if raining has quite a marked effect.

With regard to noise check the door seals fit properly or for damage.

1) It has been cold, so fuel consumption will be higher, may be worth changing to a super fuel (the premium ones that cost about 15p litre more) for a couple of fills, and let the detergents clean out any grot.   Fuel tank might be smaller than you are used to. Won’t really know until you refil it and see what you have used.

Dont want to criticise your driving style but modern tsi engines work best when the turbo is spooled up (think above 2000rpm min), a whole bunch of electronics then works on fuel saving.  If you are driving too softly will undo this.

2) Assuming none of the windows are slightly open, even 1mm, letting noise in, then check the door and window seals, might be one that is dislodged.  Don’t know what you came from, but if that was full of rattles and noise, you might not have noticed other traffic sound before

3) sounds like you have found some of the noise insulation material, at a guess if it is loose and has a sticky side, it has come unstuck, probably should be above the glovebox.  Get dealer to pop it back

Edited by SurreyJohn

1 hour ago, SurreyJohn said:

Dont want to criticise your driving style but modern tsi engines work best when the turbo is spooled up (think above 2000rpm min), a whole bunch of electronics then works on fuel saving.  If you are driving too softly will undo this.

Interesting to see you post this.

At 30mph around town I feel the car runs much better in 3rd with the engine around 1800rpm. But the display always shows the [3]>[4] icon suggesting I should shift to 4th. 

If I do, the engine runs around 1400rpm and feels really laboured especially when climbing minor inclines.

What do you think?

7 hours ago, alan4856732 said:

Interesting to see you post this.

At 30mph around town I feel the car runs much better in 3rd with the engine around 1800rpm. But the display always shows the [3]>[4] icon suggesting I should shift to 4th. 

If I do, the engine runs around 1400rpm and feels really laboured especially when climbing minor inclines. 

What do you think? 

I think you should ignore the GSI. Choose a gear that's appropriate to the situation and keeps the engine happy and responsive.

• Like 1

I think that 37MPG is terrible for this sort of car, yes you mention driving up hills but on the return trip you are driving down hills so the average usage over the two hill transits is quite average.  My wife has had a 1.2TSI 110PS 6SPD Polo SEL from new, so probably slightly heavier than your Fabia and overall over 1000miles works out at 54MPG averaging over a year.

External noises being heard inside the car, yes with her Polo 5 door, I've sat in the passenger side and there is a lot less external noise being heard on that side - okay so the majority of traffic is passing on the driver's side, but even although external noise getting into that side of the car is much less, I've never tried to work out why or from where it is getting in from though.

• Like 1

Note that most (if not all) car manufacturers have 'designed' 3rd gear as the ideal ratio for town work. This allows the car to move in an un-laboured way. To go around in 4th promotes the unit to struggle to maintain that '30' speed area - hence the need to use the throttle more to maintain speed.

Years ago to go round in 4th in town trying to climb or maintain speed on  (even slight) inclines - generated 'pinking' - so audibly any driver knew it was time to change down.

Today's engine management systems overcome that issue, so with no audible clue it is easy for drivers to go around oblivious to the fact that the engine is being laboured unnecessarily.

Try it, and you find the car a lot more responsive and manageable.  A laboured engine equals higher fuel consumption.

Edited by 2ndskoda
  • Like 2

I would be expecting more than 37 mpg. But have you reset the long-term consumption? Often cars for sale will have terrible MPG stored in the computer as the car's been moved around without actually going on a long run, and never getting warm. 

I find 4th fine on the flat at 30, but hills do require a change down. Regarding noise, it's not the quietest car inside, I think because the engines are so quiet they could reduce the amount of sound insulation!

• Like 1

I’ve got a 1.2tsi 90bhp manual 2015 28k on clock

1. Best I’ve had was 57mpg on motorway at 60mph driving sensibly. I often see 50mpg no problem on motorway at 70mph. My commute is a short journey to work through town I normally see 37mpg - 45mpg... depends on weather and temp! Worst I’ve seen is 34mpg in town but I drove it like I stole it so that’s why.

2. I know what you mean, I’ve come from two Audi’s and can notice the sound deadening is not as good but Skoda is a cheaper brand... it’s normal, and doesn’t bother me.

3. no idea lol

I find the gearing and torque charcteristics weird on my loan Fabia Combi , 1.0tsi 120 bhp. I'm used to a 1.4tsi 150 bhp Octavia Combi btw.

3rd gear seems to suit the Fabia around town at 30mph , it gets too rough in 4th.

Now my Octavia on the other hand can comfortably pull 4th or 5th at 30mph . 

The Octavia drives like a diesel with a surge  of torque at lower revs but the Fabia  needs to be revved. Just a friendly comparison.:)

• Like 1

On 22/11/2018 at 21:50, Lewz said:

Hi all.

I've (very) recently bought a 65 plate Fabia 1.2 TSI 90 BHP. It is a marked improvement on my old motor which was falling to pieces with a bunch of stuff going wrong, luckily managed to get rid before it's next MOT which would probably have cost me an arm and a leg! I bought the car from a skoda dealership and it comes with a years warranty, free MOT, etc as part of an approved used Skoda event.

I've just got a few questions regarding things I've noticed the few weeks I've been driving it, I'm a bit paranoid because I decided to lay down money on a car as opposed to leasing or PCP (was in a position to buy outright so paying interest didn't seem sensible) so it may be me overthinking or obsessing but I thought it best to try put my worries to rest.

1) Fuel Consumption - My daily commute is about 11 miles each way and includes a fair share of stop/start traffic and a couple of steep incline hills (they aren't very big but do need me to drop down in gear to pull up). My fuel consumption is coming out at about 37mpg and that's with me driving it very conservatively. From a full tank i'm at about 1/2 and have covered about 170 miles. I was just wondering if this fuel consumption seems normal? I guess I was expecting a bit better especially since I'm driving sensibly but I'm honestly not sure.

2) External Noise - One thing that I've noticed is that inside the car external sound seems to penetrate quite a bit. It may be that I've noticed it and now I'm obsessing over it slightly but I can hear passing cars very distinctly (don't know how to describe it other than the "whoosh" sound as they pass). My previous older car seemed a lot quieter and more "air tight" than this from what I can remember. I can still hear passing traffic even with my radio up. I just wanted to know if this is normal with the Fabia's or if I might have a problem somewhere? I've checked to make sure a window isn't ever so slightly cracked open or anything and can't find any signs.

3) Space Behind Glovebox -  This is where my lack of car knowledge probably shines through but I thought it worth asking since I noticed it... I noticed after reaching for my glovebox (and going too far) my hand hit an empty space behind/underneath and my hand hit something sticky. Found this a bit weird so I took a picture of underneath and there is a space with components behind and it appeared my hand was hitting a piece of gray sticky material, kind of looks like a sponge? I can post a picture for clarification if required but can anyone tell me what this is?

Apologies for the long post and if these concerns are a bit ridiculous. I'm just a bit of an anxious individual and this was a rather large purchase for me. I ended up on this car after doing a fair bit of research for a reliable runner that hopefully won't sting me for some time with faults (though I know nothing is guaranteed in motoring..). 

Many thanks in advance.

I have had the same model bought April 2015 and get an average of 45 to 50 mpg. External noise was a lot more noticeable from my old 55 Fabia diesel estate especially road noise from the tyres. Reading early owners posts it depended on the original tyres fitted as to how much tyre noise came into the cabin mine were not to bad. Keeping to 30mph speed limit 3rd gear @ 2k revs car will happily run up to 40 mph before changing up. Demisting the Windows has been a problem from new it’s quicker with the ac turned on I also keep the windscreen as clean as possible plus I have a bag of moisture absorbig crystals on the dashboard. Keep the filler flap clean on the inside and the small internal rim dry I have had water collect on the bottom edge and freeze the flap to the car apart from that I am very happy with the car Joe