Consul bushes - Powerflex vs Cupra OEM, which?

Clarke2744

Good evening all, having searched the forums for info on uprating the consul bushes on my mk1 VRS I’ve short listed down to either Powerflex PFF85-602 or the OEM Ibiza Cupra solid rubber bushes 6LL407183. 

Ive read about the cupra bushes being hard to fit, and would require a special tool realistically.   The powerflex being easier to fit, but some topics have mentioned about them wearing quickly (despite the warranty) because of the inner part rotating within the outer part of the bush. Also have read about them being quite loud, I assume transmit more road noise and engine vibration?

Although the cuppa bushes are a fair bit cheaper, once you’ve bought the fitting tool they end up around the same price as the power flex bushes, so that doesn’t really set them apart in the long run.

Can anyone help me out with any experience of the two consul bushes, not just from fitting point of view but also how they perform on the road and in the long run, as I really can’t decide which to go with!

Many thanks,

Ben

I'm no mechanic by any means but having been where you are 2 years ago and opting for the cupra ones. I got a garage to fit them and there still okay now. They made my steering much sharper, so would recommend them myself, but haven't had any experience with powerflex though

• Thanks 1

I fitted some no-name poly ones on my Ibiza (same suspension as the VRS). Really easy to fit, I'd got the wishbones off, so I burnt the old ones out, being scientific as I am, then put the poly's in with a bench vice, a big rubber mallet and a bit of cheap furniture polish to help it slip. 

No real thoughts on whether they're better or worse than Cupra ones, but I've had no grounds for complaint. 

Edited by StevesTruck

17 hours ago, Tomjones1995 said:

I'm no mechanic by any means but having been where you are 2 years ago and opting for the cupra ones. I got a garage to fit them and there still okay now. They made my steering much sharper, so would recommend them myself, but haven't had any experience with powerflex though

I did the same for my wife's 2002 9N Polo 1.4 16V when it was only 4 or 5 years old due to torn original design voided bushes, again I used a good VW Group Indie as they are said to be quite difficult to fit.

Sold that car at 13 years and 105K miles and these bushes were still as good as new.

The improvement to the steering was a real bonus!

• Like 1

Thanks for your help all. Having read just about every forum review/fitting guide I think I can get away with fitting the cupra ones using a bearing removal kit borrowed from work (if they’ll let me!!) so that saves money buying the special vag tool. Have also read more reviews mentioning how the powerflex/poly consuls can become noisy and very harsh.  So, I’ve bought a Powerflex Bush (PFF85-201) for the front of the wishbone, hope that and the cupra bush on the rear will be a good mix. Shall let you know how I get on!!