Fabia vrs window regulator

Had the horrible job of replacing the window regulator, Friday night the dreaded crack and the window dropped into the door card. So on Saturday I made a dash to the scrapyard and grabbed a replacement regulator and glass (just in case) for 15 quid. It was an 04 plate and all bolted together nice and easy.

I got home and set to the vrs, only to discover that the 54 plate was riveted. Ugh, easy enough to drill out and managed to get the thing apart but they are 2 different shapes, they fit fine though, although I haven’t got them into the door yet. Would it matter if they’re slightly different? I assumed not. However I bust one of the plastic runners in attempting to fit it, any idea where to get spares? Also where is a good place to get rivets? The skodaparts site has a link saying they’re not taking orders now?

Well I beg to differ, the one on the vrs is a slightly different shape and has green bits on the mechanism, the one I took out of the scrapyard had no green bits, different gauge steel wire and different shape plastic sleds holding the window clamps. The vrs one was riveted to the frame, this one is now bolted. Unless of course the one I took from the scrapyard had previously been replaced by the old owner?

it is a faff of a job and one that I’m not finished yet

Edited by dancingbear84

There might be some slight differences in parts/quality/colour between different brands of regulator assembly but basically they are all the same. The panels were bolted to the door on cars up to about 2003 and then they changed to pop rivets, but the panel itself is still the same as far as I know. I recently bought one and it was suitable for all MK1 Fabias with electric windows.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/457115-window-mechanism-failure/

Edited by TMB

Brilliant thanks. I spent far too long in the rain on Saturday trying to fix it, it was a total nightmare and the window is currently held up with 2 by 1. I didn’t think I could handle going through the hassle again of redoing it if there was some reason it would not work