Interpreting a bulb error

Can anybody point me at an app that will give me info on which bulb is giving an error. I’ve been getting an error about once a week and then it goes away, for about 6 months. However I don’t have the maxi dot menus or VCDS. There’s obviously a bulb out of spec but its still lit. How can I work out which one, it’s driving me nuts, I don’t want to just blanket replace all of them!

sounds like a buld  (or could be possibly more at the same time incidentally..)  become loose in the socket perhaps due to vibrations...

If not having a scanning tool then when happens next time you'll have to observe yourself out of the car  (if it is possible depending where you will drive at that time..).

I've reseated all the bulbs in the rear  light clusters. The bulb warning hasn't come on again yet fingers crossed. I noticed the brake light bulbs are a little bit cloudy, If the error re occurs I'll replace those I think see if it fixes it.

Thanks, for the help so far I'll try tightening up the bulb clips, another bulb error came up today. If only It would tell me which one, it's a pretty useless warning system with out the full menus on the dash!

The common bulbs to play up intermittently, and that are monitored by the CANBUS are the front sidelight bulbs, the 2x rear 3W taillight bulbs (that join the top and bottom of the letter 'C') and the rear number plate bulbs.

Best thing to do it to pull over somewhere safe next time the warning light comes on and take a look around the car.

Thanks silver I've pulled over a number of times but everything I can see is lit, side lights, the 3w3s etc are all definately on. I've already done the number plates but I will replace those bulbs you mentioned, and see if that fixes it.

Edited by paddypaws

My DRL's occasionally throw up a bulb error due to the bulb holder +ve spring biting into the solder on the end of the bulb. However they still light but I think that the canbus sees a higher resistance than it would like.

I don't have LED DRL's and my car isn't ex emergency services, I've had it from new so I know theres been no electrical mods. I think I've found a colleague that has VCDS and he will scan it for me. Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of which bulb its complaining about 

My drl gave similar intermittent bulb failure reports. I used Carista to find which bulb.

When I took the bulb out to check it I found the centre contact had been fritted away by vibration until it was only making occasional contact. Replaced the solder pip on both drl bulbs and problem solved.

16 hours ago, pikpilot said:

My drl gave similar intermittent bulb failure reports. I used Carista to find which bulb.

When I took the bulb out to check it I found the centre contact had been fritted away by vibration until it was only making occasional contact. Replaced the solder pip on both drl bulbs and problem solved.

Perfect thats the answer I was looking for, I'll get Carista, thanks Pikpilot!

I managed to borrow VCDS and it came back with this. I'm guessing this is the LED brake strip on the tail gate, can anyone confirm this is the faulty light:

1 Fault Found:
01503 - Bulb for 3rd Brake Light (M25) 
            010 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00101010
                    Fault Priority: 1
                    Fault Frequency: 36
                    Reset counter: 65
                    Mileage: 97670 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2018.04.25

As it's intermittent it could be a faulty light or just a wiring issue.

Obvious place to check would be the wires in the rubber gator between the boot lid and car body as that's the most likely place for mechanical damage to the wiring.

Yes thanks langers2k, I've had a search on here and it would seem water ingress is a common problem with these so I guess that would explain the intermittent bulb error as well. I'll have it apart and post what I find.

• Like 1

Just to complete the thread, the 3rd brake light had water in it and a broken solder joint on the connector pin on the LED board. I prised the light open dried it out fixed the solder joint and stuck it back together with clear bathroom silicone sealer and sealed the board. Could have just bought a new light for about £40, but it didn't take long to repair. Done 600 miles since and so far so good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1