1.2 TSI stutter/jerk

Evening all,

Today I purchased a 60 plate fabia 1.2 TSI. Test drive was fine, drove as expected. Upon taking the car home I noticed when stationary every now and then there was a hiccup if you like from the engine, a jerk that could be noticed from inside the cabin. The longer stationary the more frequent it seemed to get. 

Also when driving, mainly in second gear on acceleration it felt like there was a stutter, milliseconds but again frequent throughout the rev range. It hasn't happened every time but enough for me to take notice.

Has any one suffered this and if so what was the issue?

?

When was the car serviced and what was done, when did it get spark plugs last, or a fuel filter?

Have you checked the Service History, and Service Campaign Work done or Warranty Work carried out in the past?

?

Do you know the various possible issues with these early Euro 5 1.2 TSI that might have been addressed or maybe not.

Plug Lead. Timing Chain Tensioner, Turbo Shim, Turbo Actuator.

• Like 1

I'd advise you to immediately buy a diagnostic scanner, here's a cheap one

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/p/-/-/-/-/?548775301&0&t5_399&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-eiw7JGM3wIVabvtCh1KqA1DEAQYAyABEgJkvPD_BwE

Plug it into the OBD port under the steering wheel behind a removable panel and scan for error codes.

Its either an ignition problem (coil/leads/plugs), not too expensive to fix if you can DIY, or it could be turbo actuator related (actuator and/or a waste gate mechanical problem) potentially VERY expensive to fix. Only OE replacement turbos /actuators available at £1000+

A 60 plate 1.2 tsi is a prime candidate for the well known chain/tensioner problem this engine has. Watch out for prolonged death rattle on start up, if it happens switch off immediately! Again an expensive thing to change.

If you bought it off a dealer/garage/trader my advice is to take it back and reject it.

If they offer to fix it, fine, but get a written guarantee.

When running right this engine is beautiful, but as I'm finding out (with 2 cars I have) its design and quality problems mean they can (and probably will) go wrong very expensively eventually.

Edited by xman
  • Thanks 2

It has full service history. It is a tidy car and seemingly well looked after, mint inside and out.

This isn't good news, I paid full, no finance, what rights do I have in regards to refusing the car? Is it 14 days I can take it back and be refunded? 

Or are they in their rights to offer to fix it first?

I'm really anxious where cars are concerned, I seem to have an unreal ability of picking lemons, I've been looking for 6 months before deciding on this. 

But thanks for the info, much appreciated

• Like 1

If you bought privately, you're stuck with it, otherwise the Consumer Rights Act applies.

https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rights

Get the car scanned for error codes, that will help you decide if its a serious problem or not. Its also ammunition for you rather than just saying, "its not running quite right".

Edited by xman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There may still be "Pending" fault codes. For instance a misfire will be logged, but if it is an isolated incident it wont put the EML on.

https://www.nyvip.org/PublicSite/OBDII/diagnostic-trouble-codes.html

Evans Halshaw is a big dealer, they know you have rights, just go back to them and discuss. You can reject the car in first 30 days if it has a fault.

• Like 2

But if there's no fault codes are they likely to be able to reject my claims?

This is not a buyer's remorse thing I was over the moon with the car until the drive home

I would worry that given the issues without any fault codes they can say is normal for the engine to behave that way, but can i still reject it even if they refuse to acknowledge there's a mechanical problem? 

• Like 1

First tell Evans Halshaw the car has a problem and you are considering or wanting rejection as per your rights. See what they say.

Get it scanned.

With the Carparts4less discount code, that scanner I linked above is only £17, they do a cheaper one if you want

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/p/-/-/-/-/?553997350&0&t5_399

Same item at eurocarparts

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/tools/car-service-tools/diagnostic-tools/diagnostic/?553997350&0&t5_399&type=shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIup-FtL-M3wIVhDLTCh1-KAMKEAQYAiABEgI12_D_BwE

These scanners will give you actual and pending dtc codes. If the car is stuttering or misfiring there should be a pending code at least. 

• Like 2

@McG MkII   Sorry, do not panic.   I was asking if you had done your research.

Full Main Dealer or Full Service History means nothing much, it should show all TPI, Service Campaign work done, and often shows little gets done with Full Servicing other than Oil & Filter services.

Talk to Evans Halshaw today and let 'The Dealership Manager' know by phone, in person and by E-Mail the car might be faulty.

It might not need much, just 'Servicing'.  Some work doing.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/452890-yeti-18tsi-brand-new-engine-a-success-story

Sadly in the last while i know of a member here that sold to Evans Halshaw a totally gubbed Mk2 Fabia vRS that Skoda UK had rejected Warranty claims on.

Some poor unsuspecting person now has this lemon.....

• Like 1

As it goes my brother messaged me about plugging it into the port as he has the exact same reader, but can they say anything about me doing the self diagnostic like that?

Going to do as you guys say though, email call and visit the showroom

All you need to do is to read all the stored fault codes, maybe use your phone to take pictures of them all, but do not delete them.

You have every right to interrogate your car's engine ECU for logged fault codes.

It could help if you then report back on here as to exactly what the stored fault codes were, along with any other description that that scan tool gives you, be precise though so that you can get the best advice back.

• Like 2

I took it to my local garage as other car was in for service today. They hooked it up to diagnostic machine and no codes came up. 

Driving the car first thing it was doing it constantly, but seemingly when the car had warmed up it's does it alot less. I've filmed the car stationary (vids below) but obviously can't record the stuttering in gear whilst driving, may not even be noticeable on camera

That's from inside

That's from outside. Notice the noise about 12 seconds in. It does that frequently too. Maybe once a minute or two 

(3 times in this video of a minute I should say)

Edited by McG MkII

Do not delay talking to Evans Halshaw and getting it in writing.

The car might have been getting Italian Tune Up's,  been to Auction, MOT etc etc and crap fuel in as well and a crap fuel filter.

They can have a Mechanic / Technician open the Air Box and look at the air filter while you are present. 

They could remove the spark plugs and look see.

Fault codes for mis-fires might not log if not enough in a cycle.  

Normally if not Evans Halshaw or a private buy i would suggest go put in Super Unleaded so Tesco Momentum 99 or Shell V-Power Nitro + and give it a run.

This time i suggest, do not mess about.  Log your concerns now with Evans Halshaw. 

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

?

Any invoices with the car showing what the Full Service Record is?    Were Spark Plugs changed ever etc etc 

????????????

Who is the Service History showing as having Serviced the car?

Ask Skoda UK what the Service & Service Campaign and any Warranty work history is on the system.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

A VW Group Main Dealership can look on the system as well and tell you what the Skoda System shows on the car, at least for 3 years hopefully and maybe since.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 2

Well its certainly slight/subtle in those videos.

Has it had any fresh fuel since you bought it? The car may have old stale fuel which can cause this kind of running.

What mileage is it on? At the moment I'm inclined to think spark plugs/leads or coil.

Those leads are replacement upgraded leads, original ones fitted didn't have the corrugated trunking. Although I note someone has modified them by cutting the trunking so they can clip the leads to the old small clips rather than fit new larger clips. Hope they didnt damage leads in the process. And not neatly arranged at the coil end as is normal, see pic. Very dirty around lead carrier, not great for ignition leads.

skoda fabia engine wash - overview after.jpg

• Like 1

So I called Evans halshaw, expressed my concerns, told to take the car down and they would arrange a courtesy car, on the drive there the stutter on acelleration  wasn't as  frequent but the cars been used today, even still doing it more on cold running I wouldn't think is normal, at time no technicians were available but I showed the chap on service desk. He actually mentioned the turbo/waste gate. But it's logged at least now so abit of peace of mind

When I bought it first thing I did was take it to shell and put fuel in. I never use supermarket fuels in my car, some people think thats a myth but I stand by it

But yeah xman I see what you mean about the leads, the lead at the back that just seems to be hanging in the air I thought was abit weird. 

I'm super crap at buying cars clearly, I thought I'd ticked all the boxes yesterday, I have all the service history but foolishly I've just checked the year and milage and not what actually was done. The book is all in my wife's car that's in for service at the minute but will be checking that when I pick her car up

But thanks for all the input so far, really do appreciate the help and advice

• Like 1

I also note that it has a Mann oil filter fitted, so last change was definitely not by a Skoda or VAG dealer (which is not necessarily bad, the Mann is a top OE quality filter).

Come to think of it, check it has had the turbo shim fitted. This vintage had a recall, and this could be the reason.

Edited by xman
  • Like 2

I'll have a look into that when I get car back. But if it hasn't does that mean I would have to take it back to Skoda for that shim to be fitted under recall?

But if they were to find this is the problem would they fix or would they themselves take to skoda or just pass the book back to me to take to sort?

• Like 1

Evans Halshaw know Skoda Uk's number.

They the seller 'Evans Halshaw' can get the car fit for purpose.  If that requires a 'Turbo Actuator'  then they can have Skoda get that or what ever.

Known issues and Skoda / VW / Audi / SEAT are those that know and VW Group did jack Sh!t.  So Evans Halshaw like 'Warranty Providers' know how to make VW squirm.

Amazing how customer and owners do not worry VW but big business scare them very much.

• Like 1

Well I got the service booklet.. reads as follows

24/10/11 - 6,781 - oil change (Grey gables Skoda Oxford)

01/11/12 - 12,287 - oil change (benfield Harrogate)

14/10/13 - 17,085 - oil change, brake fluid change (benfield Harrogate)

07/10/14 - 21,855 - oil change, spark plug change, air filter replaced (benfield Harrogate)

29/09/15 - 23,073 - nothing ticked but stamped by Eddie Wright car supermarket

21/10/16 - 36,316 - oil change, fuel filter, rear drums cleaned(?), spark plugs changed, air filter changed (walkers garage Huddersfield) looks like an independent

12/10/17 - 49,108 - oil change, fuel filter, clean rear drums, air filter (walkers garage Huddersfield)

12/10/18 - 60,251 - oil change, rear drums cleaned, air filter(walkers garage Huddersfield)

Edited by McG MkII
Added place serviced
  • Thanks 1