If you're thinking about fitting two winter tyres...

JamKart

2 hours ago, Russ77 said:

This is the same reason new tyres should be fitted to the rear axle of a FWD (and I guess AWD) cars, or at least the best performing tyres.

Yes, but lets be fair here and note that a set of 4mm rears and 7mm fronts is not going to display a 70% grip differential like this test is showing with winter front and summer rears.

Yes you should put the better/more tread tyres on the rear, but you're not going to encounter this problem anywhere near this badly if you don't.

• Like 1

Can we see a video of the same manouvers with 4 winter tyres?

I used to have a car with winter tyres (Town and Country) on the front only. So did a lot of people. Getting some traction was the sole consideration and that setup worked.

I'm talking ancient history and not recommending the practice nowadays. 

• Like 1

Lots of us still do it.

I have Snow Tyres on the front now and All Weathers on the rear and when i want to change the rears it will be dead quick just changing that pair.

Just now i am happy enough with the Mis-matched front and rears.

Done similar for decades now with Pullers or Pushers or Pullers & Pushers.  There can be some lovely weather in the UK between October and April in different parts of the country.

(A matching pair to the All Weathers or the Snow tyres are carried on trips with a trolley jack, then they can be fitted as a pair if i have a puncture, 

or if the weather by chance shout become Snowmageddon or the roads grind to a halt because of HGV's running Summer Tyres. 

Or the sun is splitting the pavements and you could fry an egg on the road surfaces as oft happens pre spring in the North of the UK.)

Edited by Offski