Auto headlight dipping?

Dafyddapw

Glad to hear that on Karoq this system works more or less good. I had quite negative experience with 2016 Volvo V60, it was not working when it should work, and working when it shouldn't - constantly dazzling oncoming traffic. Conditions were very simple - winter landscapes of Northern Sweden, where there are not that many people living, but anyways every light source was shutting the high beam down (except for some oncoming cars lol). I didn't find a way to forever turn it off in Volvo (but it was just a rental car for a week when my BMW was waiting for new window, steering wheel and navigation), so I was not really sure if it's reasonable to spec Auto High Beam for Karoq.

I think local conditions can cause quite different behaviour. 

I live in an area where there are lots of narrow roads and walls with road signs at various heights. Owners have complained that the beam hitting the lower signs is reflected back and the car dips the beam (probably thinking its a headlight). 

Perhaps the light sources reflecting off ice could have caused a similar problem?

1 hour ago, TheRobinK said:

I live in an area where there are lots of narrow roads and walls with road signs at various heights. Owners have complained that the beam hitting the lower signs is reflected back and the car dips the beam (probably thinking its a headlight). 

When I had the auto dipping on my Octavia I found on very narrow lanes it wouldn't go into high beam, I always put this down to the general amount of light generated on dipped beam confusing the system into thinking it was lighter than it actually was, never had too much of a problem otherwise.

While my SEL 1.5 Karoq was off the road awaiting 'the fix', I borrowed a Scout as a courtesy car for 5 or 6 weeks. It had the 'auto-dipping' headlight feature and I can say that it is the one thing that I will really miss now that I've handed the Scout back. The timing of the dipping/raising was pretty much spot-on and the only time that it failed to dip was after the car had passed through roadworks with a double row of closely-spaced reflective cones which I think had confused the system. 

I asked about the possibility of a retrofit, but was informed that it would be nigh-on impossible. Knowing what I know now, I would certainly specify it for a new order.

49 minutes ago, SimonAudi said:

Have  a look here - they do the camera, wiring and coding dongle... not sure how easy it is... but would seem it is possible

https://www.kufatec.com/en/all-products/front-camera-for-driver-assistance-systems-mqb-version-2-41405

Thanks, Simon, but although I found auto-dip very handy, I wouldn't dare risk the warranty on a new car. :unsure: