1.0 SE Tech DSG - finally arrived

10 minutes ago, zeddicus said:

Nice one mate!

I'm now onto my 5th weekly update and still no build date :crying:

It'll fly by mate. Don't worry. 

Start/stop is going to drive me batty though, as I don't like sitting with my foot on the brake pedal :( 

Just now, gRoberts said:

Start/stop is going to drive me batty though, as I don't like sitting with my foot on the brake pedal :( 

I'm pretty certain you can turn it off. When I went for a test drive, pretty sure dealer said there's a button to turn it off...

Deactivate it with OBDEleven if you don’t like it, just remember to turn it back on again before you return it from lease!! Otherwise you’ll learn to get used to putting it in Park with the handbrake on fairly quickly. Looks good in the red, I so nearly got one of these for my OH but we have decided to go bangernomics when the Citigo goes back :)

Edited by SashaGrace

I'm getting used to it but just completely different style of driving than I'm used to. I'd drop the clutch and coast to junctions where S/S would kick in before I've even stopped.

That and times where pushing the pedal doesn't actually do much and then a surge lol.

The red is a lot better than I thought. I thought it would be totally flat but it's lovely. 

IMG_20181211_175301.thumb.jpg.aae5b18343feade79c9205539a38f521.jpg

• Like 2

The s/s on the DSG is so dim witted it’s untrue. Ford/PSA have had s/s systems that shut off below a few mph when slowing down on their automatic and dual clutch gear boxes for years. It’s rediculous that VAG haven’t done the same IMO.

I must admit that is annoying, but I’ve learned to live with it. On my car you have to put it in Park with the handbrake on to get the s/s to keep working without your foot on the brake. It won’t work in Neutral, if you release the brake it’ll just start up again.

11 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

The s/s on the DSG is so dim witted it’s untrue. Ford/PSA have had s/s systems that shut off below a few mph when slowing down on their automatic and dual clutch gear boxes for years. It’s rediculous that VAG haven’t done the same IMO.

This is how mine behaves, it always stops the engine before the car has come to a complete stop, as long as you press the pedal hard enough. A soft press allows you to keep it running if you're just slowing for a roundabout or something. 

If you're stopped for a while, just pop it in neutral with handbrake on. Engine stays stopped. 

Guess the DQ380 in the 245 behaves differently. 

Edited by Kenai

11 minutes ago, Kenai said:

This is how mine behaves, it always stops the engine before the car has come to a complete stop, as long as you press the pedal hard enough. A soft press allows you to keep it running if you're just slowing for a roundabout or something. 

If you're stopped for a while, just pop it in neutral with handbrake on. Engine stays stopped. 

Guess the DQ380 in the 245 behaves differently. 

I think I'm experiencing that too but with the brakes being as sharp as they are, I'm not pressing the pedal hard enough

2 minutes ago, gRoberts said:

I think I'm experiencing that too but with the brakes being as sharp as they are, I'm not pressing the pedal hard enough

Something you could try, when you want to start slowing down, tap the brake and the gearbox will engine brake more and drop gears, then you can just feather the brake and only give it a firm press as you dip under 10mph. As its engine braking, it'll be stopping fuel anyway even if its not stopping the engine as early as you can get a manual to do. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

How do you find those projector / reflector headlights ?

Surprisingly not as bad as I thought I would. 

I only drove for a short period last night in the dark but the throw is far better than I thought it would be. 

I'd imagine with a decent set of bulbs in there, they'd be great. 

I remember when the FL came out the concensus was the maligned headlight arrangement was actually a better performer.

I have been too lazy to upgrade mine to date and they have ok for my part of Australia but we have a driving holiday down through Victoria across to Tasmania early next year so I should do something. Lots of forested roads and wildlife to consider. 

• Like 1

Great to see you've picked it up, looks very nice in red! 

S/S sounds a royal pain in the arse, so that will be getting turned off immediately when I get mine. If you get chance as well, can you take a photo of the lights in the dark?

Thanks mate. Enjoy it!

2 hours ago, gRoberts said:

Surprisingly not as bad as I thought I would. 

I only drove for a short period last night in the dark but the throw is far better than I thought it would be. 

I'd imagine with a decent set of bulbs in there, they'd be great. 

Are they projecters?

2 minutes ago, dogdiego said:

Great to see you've picked it up, looks very nice in red! 

S/S sounds a royal pain in the arse, so that will be getting turned off immediately when I get mine. If you get chance as well, can you take a photo of the lights in the dark?

Thanks mate. Enjoy it!

I'm definitely pleased with how it looks.

The S/S isn't as annoying as you think. I just don't like keeping my foot on the brake pedal, otherwise it'd be fine and I'm getting used to it really quickly.

One annoying issue however... through habit, I am constantly trying to drop a clutch that doesn't exist and wiggle my gearstick (sanity check that I was in neutral) as I come to junctions etc. 

First world problems heh ;)

2 minutes ago, match14 said:

Are they projecters?

Nope :( reflectors. 

I can't remember what any of my previous reflector based headlights were like, other than how shocking they were and my wifes Dacia's headlights feel like you can only see 5ft in front of you.

The throw on the FL Halogens seem to go a lot further.

9 minutes ago, gRoberts said:

Nope :( reflectors. 

I can't remember what any of my previous reflector based headlights were like, other than how shocking they were and my wifes Dacia's headlights feel like you can only see 5ft in front of you.

The throw on the FL Halogens seem to go a lot further.

What colour do the bulbs look - are they cold or quite warm? 

On 11/12/2018 at 19:45, gRoberts said:

I'm getting used to it but just completely different style of driving than I'm used to. I'd drop the clutch and coast to junctions where S/S would kick in before I've even stopped.

That and times where pushing the pedal doesn't actually do much and then a surge lol.

The red is a lot better than I thought. I thought it would be totally flat but it's lovely. 

IMG_20181211_175301.thumb.jpg.aae5b18343feade79c9205539a38f521.jpg

Congratulations, its a beauty and yes I found it needs a different type of driving. Once I got used to switching off the start/stop before most journey's  and engaging neutral before arriving at junction. Otherwise the stop start can cause a few unexpected drama's.  It soon becomes a pleasure to drive.