Fabia vrs

Essexben

Best mods is down to how deep your pockets are and what you consider to be "the best".... are you talking best bang for buck or best outright performance, as they are completely different answers!

"looks wise" surely has to be down to your own personal preference?! Many people have done many things to these old cars over the years. The usual ones are to de-chrome the grill surround, colour code the door handles (if they aren't, of course) retrofitted Xenons, coilovers and of course wheels.

Rather than asking what other people's opinions are why not take a look through the various build threads to see what has or hasn't been done and make the decision based on what YOU like.  

14 minutes ago, MattD said:

I'd personally get a FMIC, PD150 turbo, EGR Delete, Exhaust system, AP Coilovers and a remap (and a clutch if you can afford one for more torque capability)

What would that little set up cost me (ballpark figure)

37 minutes ago, jars said:

Best mods is down to how deep your pockets are and what you consider to be "the best".... are you talking best bang for buck or best outright performance, as they are completely different answers!

"looks wise" surely has to be down to your own personal preference?! Many people have done many things to these old cars over the years. The usual ones are to de-chrome the grill surround, colour code the door handles (if they aren't, of course) retrofitted Xenons, coilovers and of course wheels.

Rather than asking what other people's opinions are why not take a look through the various build threads to see what has or hasn't been done and make the decision based on what YOU like.  

Yes your right I just fancy a little more power and just to look clean and crisp on the eye.

50 minutes ago, Essexben said:

Yes your right I just fancy a little more power and just to look clean and crisp on the eye.

Get a decent stage 1 map and give it a detail, Id think about lowering it because they look like they are on stilts in standard form!

54 minutes ago, Essexben said:

In which case, a remap (£300 ish) , 312 brake upgrade (£100 and fit yourself), ap coilovers (£400 and fit yourself) and dog bone engine mount (£30 and fit yourself).

That’s all the performance and looks you need without going over the top imo, once you’ve given her a decent mop and polish ;) (if you’re handy with a can of paint, £25 for the bits you need to strip off the chrome grill surround and paint it black - £60 ish by a Bodyshop)

You should add for an fmic as the side mount ‘cooler isn’t really up to it when really giving it some for prolonged periods, but you can get away without it if you can’t stretch to another £500 (if you fit it yourself)

50 minutes ago, jars said:

In which case, a remap (£300 ish) , 312 brake upgrade (£100 and fit yourself), ap coilovers (£400 and fit yourself) and dog bone engine mount (£30 and fit yourself).

That’s all the performance and looks you need without going over the top imo, once you’ve given her a decent mop and polish ;) (if you’re handy with a can of paint, £25 for the bits you need to strip off the chrome grill surround and paint it black - £60 ish by a Bodyshop)

You should add for an fmic as the side mount ‘cooler isn’t really up to it when really giving it some for prolonged periods, but you can get away without it if you can’t stretch to another £500 (if you fit it yourself)

Yeah that sounds good just been looking at exhaust systems for it

Rear anti roll bar and a remap are best in my bet

Whiteline rear anti roll bar is good for road. As said by other folk, make sure you have good rear tyres and understand that the rear end can slide out but in my experience it has never happened except with **** tyres

Decent coilovers/ shocks set up. (depends what you want comfort/performance wise)

Good front tyres and decent alignment.  Check subframe for any misalignment, might be apparent with a ruler on variouis points or a scrape where it has shifted

Check all your suspension joints/bushes.  wishbone bushes are crap unless the solid ones are used (most people use solid when replacing) Look for ibiza cupra ones or powerflex or similar ones

I'm happy with my blacksmoke £40 (search google) remap but a custom one is likely to be better just a lot more expensive. If using blacksmoke you will need a MPPS cable, computer and the software

A remap may break weak/end of life turbos and clutches

Mr muscle turbo clean!

clean out EGR/intake of caked on crap

312mm brakes are a huge improvement

boost pipes have crap extruded bits that wear down. You can use screws or similar to hold the pipework together

Service it

Most of these are maintnance rather than mods but they will essentilly be mods on an old car unless already done in last few years.

Edited by corndog
  • Like 1

I would agree with corndog, no point uprating items unless the basics are all tip top, find someone with VCDS and get it scanned as not all faults will trigger the engine management light.

Whiteline RARB has got to be the best single thing I have done to my VRS