Thames TV 70's Car Reviews

• 1 month later...

Ah, the Chrysler Sunbeam.

Never worked for them or owned one but - anal fact coming up here......

The rear side window was the subject of great debate when the car was being designed. The rear lower corner is not radiused as in most cars but both horizontal & sloping lines continue to a meeting point. Stylistically it was felt an essential effect despite the extra costs involved in manufacturing.

When looking at the line of the car it does hang together better like this than having a radius (in context with contemporary designs of the day).

Bill :)

My dad had it's cousin, the horrible Talbot Horizon. there were 5 of us plus a very large Basset Hound in it and it was powered by a wheezy 1.1 engine. Perfect for the hilly North East  :(  I had just passed my test and learnt very quickly to change down early and not chase the box :D 

I had a Sunbeam as a company car way back in the Seventies. No choice of make or model in those days, just get lumbered with whatever was cheap.

The rear “hatch” was a frameless all glass affair glued to the hinges and latch.

”Can you see where this is going yet?”

Yup, one day driving across the Fens one hinge unglued itself, followed shortly by the other hinge and mighty crash as the latch gave way and the whole thing hit the road and exploded into a million toughened glass fragments. Luckily nothing was following.

3 hours ago, KenONeill said:

I grew up near Linwood and resent this remark! The Alpine/Horizon were French cars!

Hillman/Chrysler/Talbot :( I had a Hillman Hunter which I consider a much older brother to the Sunbeam, but I'm afraid the horrible Horizon was a French cousin :(  Awful steering and a terrible gearbox, it was comfy in a French car sort of way though (car sickness aside) 

My Dad also had a Hunter estate :) an Avenger :) and a Solara  :sadsmile:  It was in non-violent yellow....hideous. 

Edited by Lady Elanore