newby

rad3

hello

about to pickup my 2015 yeti  2ltr  tomorrow  any ideas as to my purchase 

also cambelt advice  im told 40,000 seems  very early to me as other makes go twice as long 

any advice welcome 

thanks  rad3

You don't say if it's a euro 5 or 6, mine was mid 15 and is euro 6 (it has the adblue tank).  When I had it in for a service just before the warranty ran out I asked for a printout of what was the timings of the service items since what passes for a service book these days is 100% useless and seems to be solely intended to keep you hooked to the official dealers.  Of course I spun it that I was wanting to plan for the costs of major items and figure out what I had to spend when.  They know this info otherwise how could they give you a call and say Mr XXX your car is due a major service/Haldex change/etc. would you like to bring it in for a service?

He looked my car up on the computer and printed me a list of all the service items and timings.  For my car the timing belt and tensioners should be replaced every 140k miles or five years whichever comes first.  Cost was listed as £560.56

It should however be inspected at every 20k service

Others are Air filter 6y or 60k £30.99

Brake fluid every 2 years £54.00

Diesel Filter 60k £64.52

Haldex oil (4wd only) 3y £75.60

Pano Roof 3y/40k £31.11

Pollen filter 2y/40k £31.11

Your car may be different, different engine or perhaps you have the DSG gearbox.  But it should give you some rough ideas.  Prices are as at June 18 from my local Skoda dealer in Edinburgh.

Edited by widdershins
Date of prices
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, rad3 said:

hello

about to pickup my 2015 yeti  2ltr  tomorrow  any ideas as to my purchase 

also cambelt advice  im told 40,000 seems  very early to me as other makes go twice as long 

any advice welcome 

thanks  rad3

Cam belt change is 5 years and I have seen no mileage figure stated

On 02/01/2019 at 11:03, Llanigraham said:

Cam belt change is 5 years and I have seen no mileage figure stated

ok thanks 

thought 40000 was daft  140,000 makes sense and check every 20,000 

recommended to change at 5 years 

On 02/01/2019 at 01:20, widdershins said:

You don't say if it's a euro 5 or 6, mine was mid 15 and is euro 6 (it has the adblue tank).  When I had it in for a service just before the warranty ran out I asked for a printout of what was the timings of the service items since what passes for a service book these days is 100% useless and seems to be solely intended to keep you hooked to the official dealers.  Of course I spun it that I was wanting to plan for the costs of major items and figure out what I had to spend when.  They know this info otherwise how could they give you a call and say Mr XXX your car is due a major service/Haldex change/etc. would you like to bring it in for a service?

He looked my car up on the computer and printed me a list of all the service items and timings.  For my car the timing belt and tensioners should be replaced every 140k miles or five years whichever comes first.  Cost was listed as £560.56

It should however be inspected at every 20k service

Others are Air filter 6y or 60k £30.99

Brake fluid every 2 years £54.00

Diesel Filter 60k £64.52

Haldex oil (4wd only) 3y £75.60

Pano Roof 3y/40k £31.11

Pollen filter 2y/40k £31.11

Your car may be different, different engine or perhaps you have the DSG gearbox.  But it should give you some rough ideas.  Prices are as at June 18 from my local Skoda dealer in Edinburgh.

thanks for your detailed reply      my how  i do look forward to spending all that money  

the joys of motoring ehh

thanks again 

Yea, for more good news, although it's not listed above, you're probably best getting the water pump done when getting the timing belt done.  The labour costs for swapping it if it goes after the timing belt is done labour will be more than the pump costs probably.  But if done when the belt is done half the labour cost to remove the pump will already be in the timing belt price, so pump replacement will be little more than the parts cost.  As an aside you also get an antifreeze change for just the cost of the antifreeze since it all has to come out when the pump is removed.

I'd recommend going indie though, by the time you've clocked up 140k/5yrs it'll be out of warranty.  My local garage did my old Fabia with a timing belt and waterpump kit from TPS for a lot less than Skoda were charging just for doing the belt.

Edited by widdershins

46 minutes ago, rad3 said:

ok thanks 

thought 40000 was daft  140,000 makes sense and check every 20,000 

recommended to change at 5 years 

I have never seen the "check every 20k" either. Someone is pulling your .........................(insert as required!)
My last Yeti did 110k and only had the belt changed once. Modern belts are VERY resilient.

Perhaps I've misunderstood the contents of skodas major service then, seems to include checking and adjusting at 20k service to me?

A major service is carried out every 24 months or 20,000 miles, whichever comes sooner. A major service includes: Everything from an interim service, Replacement air filter^, Spark plugs^ (petrol engine) or fuel filter^ (diesel engine), Remove wheels and check brakes, Check/adjust tension of all drive belts, Check/replenish gearbox oil (where applicable), Check/replenish final drive oil (where applicable), Check suspension system, Check heating/aircon operation.

From here https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/servicing-maintenance-fixed-price

Edited by widdershins

Not sure how that would work out on extended service intervals, which my car is on. Typically car says it needs a service at 18000 miles or so. However as I own my latest Yeti I did get it serviced slightly early at 1 year old and 16.5k. If these items are done at the second service, that would have been 36k on previous cars, and potentially 32k on current one if I service at 2 years old.

Not sure I agree with fixed time servicing for Haldex either, at 3 years old mine will be on at least 48k at current use, and I have read elsewhere that it should be done at 30k miles?

30,000 miles or 3 years whichever comes first is correct for the Haldex.

& wet clutch DSG's at 40,000 miles or if an Audi and called a s-tronic @ 38,000 miles.

The Skoda site has said 'check all belts' in Major Services, even though obviously they can not all be checked where they are not in the open.

PS

Remember a Service @ Main Dealers / Approved Repairers should include a 'Body Inspection',   for the Paint & Corrosion Warranty.

Reason being Skoda UK have tried knocking back Warranty Claims because no Body Inspection report,. 

even with cars with FMDSH.   Obviously if a Full Main Dealer Service History then Skoda UK know where 'Body Inspections' are not getting done.

Edited by Skoffski

On 03/01/2019 at 12:27, widdershins said:

half the labour cost to remove the pump will already be in the timing belt price

Where do you go that takes 90 minutes to change a water pump? 15 would be more like it.

On 03/01/2019 at 12:27, widdershins said:

Yea, for more good news, although it's not listed above, you're probably best getting the water pump done when getting the timing belt done.  The labour costs for swapping it if it goes after the timing belt is done labour will be more than the pump costs probably.  But if done when the belt is done half the labour cost to remove the pump will already be in the timing belt price, so pump replacement will be little more than the parts cost.  As an aside you also get an antifreeze change for just the cost of the antifreeze since it all has to come out when the pump is removed.

I'd recommend going indie though, by the time you've clocked up 140k/5yrs it'll be out of warranty.  My local garage did my old Fabia with a timing belt and waterpump kit from TPS for a lot less than Skoda were charging just for doing the belt.

Was in local TPS today and they gave me a quote of £272 for timing belt and water pump kit. Whilst there a separate guy offered his company’s service to fit the parts and said it would be 4hrs labour. ( A mobile service offered)

I don’t know how much 4 hrs labour would be but I was thinking approx £30 to £40 per hour. I also rang Volkservice and they quoted me £380 all in. 

Doesnt seem to to be much in it either way? How much did your local garage charge you to fit if you don’t mind me asking?

Cheers 

No I don't mind, but I'm afraid I couldn't say.  When I sold the Fabia I gave the service history over with the car, and that included the invoice for the timing belt and water pump work.  I do remember pricing it at Skoda and my local garage was cheaper by enough of a margin that it made sense to use him instead given the age and value of my car.

Of course the fact that he'd been doing work on my cars for years and has a great reputation for the quality of his work and his integrity didn't hurt.  Personally though I'd be a bit wary of going to some unknown "man in a van" who propositioned me in a motor factors shop to do something as important as the timing belt.  The desperate guy who's touting for business isn't the one you want, it's the guy who's beating work off with a stick.  Stick to personal recommendations.

It's a bit like my local tyre fitters, I hardly ever see any adverts for them, yet their place is always full, whereas Kwik Fit plasters adverts in the papers but always has tumbleweed blowing through it.  Why?  The local business is family run and treats customers like family, good prices, no sales targets, no unnecessary work, will fix if possible before replacing, do good work etc.  Word of mouth recommendations keeps them rushed off their feet.