End of lease repairs

So I'm returning my beloved Superb as the end of the lease is up.

I had traditionally been wary of the inspections as it's a licence for people to make money for nothing in terms of inventing defects. However, a friend who recently returned his VW said that they couldn't have been more reasonable, both in deciding what needed to be done and the rates quoted. So I thought I'd get them to inspect.

Sadly, in my case they have been (IMHO) unreasonable. So what I would like to do is get my tame bodyshop man to do the work. He does an excellent job, but is not on the list of Skoda approved repairers (in fact nobody is within 10 miles or so of my home in North London). I'm told that I can't let him do the work, but this is a call centre staff member reading from a script. I would hope that if my guy does a decent job on the scuffs, nobody would even know there had been any damage at all - other than the fact that they took pictures!

The question is, will BCA see this as a money-making opportunity - i.e. still charge me the full £500+ or will they cross items off the list that really no longer need doing?

I guess one can't be certain with this, and it's down to personal experiences and anecdotes.

Lesson learned - always get the work done before inviting the inspectors in. You might get lucky, but you might very well not....

Attached is an example of the rear bumper. They want £130 to put that right. Then there 2 other scuffs at the same price and the one genuine bit of work that justifies itself on the wheel arch - happy to bite the bullet on that (and scratches to the alloys).

IMG_0886.JPG

What was the reference point for the acceptable damage?

See https://www.bvrla.co.uk/fleet-services/product-listing-page.html or

https://www.hitachicapitalvehiclesolutions.co.uk/personal-leasing/fair-wear-tear see Page 9 for paint type damage and Page 13 for door apertures, and ask them highlight where and what they wish to charge you for.

Page 14 offers comment upon options for repair

It’s very subjective.  When my Yeti went back, I just cleaned it before they came.  Previous week I had got some touch up paint (not Skoda petrol blue, but similar colour) and went over a deep scratch, gently rubbing with a cloth minute later (bit like you would do with T-cut)

VW Finance used BCA, and BCA sent inspector day before collection, everything ok, the small marks below standard, so acceptable.  Scratch I had touched up not mentioned.  Even got told valet company had done a good job (it was me).  Put a BCA inspected sticker on windscreen.

Next day another chap came to collect, and drive it to Blackbushe, he insisted on checking it again, even though it hadn’t moved, hadn’t rained, was on my drive.  Insisted on putting dirty (to cover his backside, in case a scratch was found, he even said that to me)

Didn't hear anything for about 7 weeks, then just got invoice for some excess mileage so must have been ok when it was checked at BCA.   

To be fair I would expect to be charged for those, bit more than stone chips,looks like rear reflector cracked as well .if Mrs car got anything like that I would get fixed before inspection as prob cheaper that way ,she's 9 mnths and 11000 miles into lease and so far couple small stone chips in bonnet so fingers crossed for another 2 yrs and 30k miles .

• Like 1

Agree with @2wheelsgood

I'm not an expert but if they are wanting to charge £500 to walk away from what might be considered to be low level but numerous areas of damage;

• bumper also has scratches down to plastic as well on the top surface as chips/gouges on the top corner,
  • reflector cracked and bumper scored,
  • front skirt scuffed,
  • alloys scuffed?
  • Window trim damage
  • Dent adjacent to fuel filler cap

And that's all you have shown us.  I would be tempted to suck it up, unless you have someone who can do them all for less than the offered price.  

That's helpful (really!). I think part of my problem is that the last time I ever had any bodywork repairs done was over 20 years ago, and so my view on costings is somewhat out of date! But will try to get them to take off the rear bumper scratches, which I think are fair wear and tear....

• Like 1

When my son and I visited a BMW garage to gain knowledge to buy a Mini the extras foisted upon us to protect us from this scrutiny and damage was eye-boggling. They wanted us to take out insurance policies for the wheels, the paintwork and GAP insurance. The garage wanted us to sign on the dotted line then but we decided to take the paperwork home to study the small print. We did not proceed with the purchase but new car purchase is not as simple as it was years ago. They are all out to get you!!

7 minutes ago, facet edge said:

They are probably making more money out of the insurance than the sale of the car.

+1.  GAP, LifeShine, finance, etc.  The 'add-on's' are usually the best commission makers for salespersons.