Battery flat after a few mins ignition on

Hi,

I was distracted before starting the engine yesterday and found the battery too low to turn the engine over after about 10 minutes sat with ignition on.  Main lights off and  the car a 1.6 Diesel less than two years old.

I had driven 30 and 40 mile trips during the day.  The car starts OK but stop start doesnt often activate.   After the AA jump started me the battery was full enough to do a stop start after about 90 minutes driving and 44 miles.

Does this sound normal or like a battery about to die?  I have booked it in to the dealer for a battery check tomorrow.

Being winter your battery gets that bit more of a pounding with all of the lighting & electric heated devices such as wing mirrors & rear windscreen, so it might well be that it's knackered, although it shouldn't be at <24 months.

You may just be unfortunate in that you have a defective cell in the battery or a current leak somewhere, I know my battery is still good after 32 months and it has the stop start going, heated seats etc all running without issue, it gets used most days, but not all and it does do some weird start times too and no issues. 

I'm sure I've seen reports of a bad batch of batteries on here, very recently.  Maybe you're one of those owners.  Having the dealer check it out is the way to go.

Gaz

Similar case to mine 1.6 diesel just over 2 years old, regular commute is 29 miles each way 38k on clock and regularly serviced. 

and battery died.

Stop start didn't kick in as often as it should and then odd running finally wouldn't start. Skoda assist diagnosed dead battery replaced under warranty. They did keep the car for a couple of days to see if it was anything causing the battery to die, OK as provided with hire car. Skoda assist reluctant to replace batteries at roadside as apparently they don't get paid for them, according to roadside technician. 

1 hour ago, Mr Rubble said:

Skoda assist reluctant to replace batteries at roadside as apparently they don't get paid for them, according to roadside technician. 

They would have been more than happy to sell me one !   Dealer is checking it for me tomorrow.  I gather from here its a warranty item if found faulty :-)

Definitely warranty in my case, Skoda assistance tech, boosted battery and followed me down to dealer organised hire car, typical failed on a Sunday. Dealer recharged battery kept car overnight but battery didn't hold charge so replaced under warranty. I have a feeling it had been going for a while as occasionally slow to start up and stop start not always kicking in.

The dealers diagnostic equipment will soon be able to tell whether or not the battery is faulty.  Should be a warranty job provided the car is still under warranty and there is no aftermarket wiring causing a current drain.

The batteries Skoda fit have over the years been a common cause of complaint.

However, as mentioned, around 18-24 months ago a bad batch of MOLL branded batteries found their way into the Skoda factory and were fitted to a number of different models.

There was a technical bulletin issued I believe so the dealer should be able to check if your battery is one of the affected ones.

Either way, it's under warranty. Dig in and demand a new one.

16 hours ago, silver1011 said:

The batteries Skoda fit have over the years been a common cause of complaint.

However, as mentioned, around 18-24 months ago a bad batch of MOLL branded batteries found their way into the Skoda factory and were fitted to a number of different models

A quick battery test was done this morning, the battery confirmed to be defective and will be replaced under warranty, they still want the car for two days to test though.  

Battery is a Moll, I don't know if it was part of the faulty batch.

IMG_20181022_100538.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

An unusual current drain was discovered when tested, the technician suspected my hard wire dashcam, but after a quick call to me, kindly disconnected it from the 12v socket i have added in the space at the lh end of the dash and found the radio was still drawing power when ignition off.   A new Varta battery has been fitted and the radio radio firmware updated.  They reconnected my dashcam as well.  

I thought 2 days in dock for a battery was excessive  but I suppose this has justified it. :-)

Edited by Basillboy