Considering a Kodiaq

Hello,

I'm brand new to the forums and pleased to be here!

It's time for us to get a new car for our growing family. We've narrowed our choices down to the VW Touran and the Skoda Kodiaq. I've never bought a new car before (always used), and would be really grateful for your advice.

We're going to use the car as the main family wagon, and we'll mostly just be a family of four (2 adults, 2 toddlers) needing good boot space for the stuff we have to carry. Sometimes we'll do day trips to make this 7. I'm not 100% convinced by the practicality of the rear seats on the Kodiaq - especially since they don't have Isofix and will need to seat adults with the kids in the middle row. Keen to hear your thoughts on this concern.

If we go with the Kodiaq, we're looking at SE L with the 150BHP Petrol engine in automatic. Because we want some specific addons (like rear view camera and front and rear parking sensors) we're looking at a factory order, which is about 18-22 weeks, depending on which dealer I ask. This seems like a crazy lead time, but applies equally to the Touran it seems.

We're going to go with the following options:
- Metallic paint
- Front and rear sensors
- Rear view camera
- Heated Windscreen

... Are there any other really useful "Gosh - I'm glad I thought of that" extras that people have had fitted? For example is the spare wheel a good option? 

We'll be carrying children a lot of the time. The SE L trim has a lot of features I really like, but the suede/ leather hybrid Alcantara cloth really freaks me out. I can imagine it getting wrecked by the kids. I imagined that the VW cloth would hold up better (my golf is going strong after 4 years of abuse). Should I be concerned?

I also notice that floor mats are an optional extra - or are these upgraded ones?

One draw for the SE L was the sat nav. What is the policy here? Is it free updates for life or will I have to sign up to the Skoda connect service for that?

Using various comparison sites, I have found a couple of good discounts, but perhaps there's more I can be doing to get the price down some more?

Thanks very much in advance!

3 hours ago, Marakith said:

We've narrowed our choices down to the VW Touran and the Skoda Kodiaq

Seems an odd pairing - most people would be selecting between Tiguan and Kodiaq... personally, I’d rather an SUV than a minibus :D.

Anyway, the seats will be fine, just put a rug or something under the kids and their seats (I’d do this no matter what the car!). Floor mats are most definitely extra, but careful negotiation will see you score them for free (e.g. “thanks for the excellent deal - throw in mats and I’ll sign here and now” often does the trick). As for the map updates, you get 3 years of map updates for free, but that’s via the old-fashioned download to USB/SD card method. You also get 1 year of Connect for free, which allows for over-the-air updates (SIM card in Columbus or Bluetooth to mobile phone required)... not essential but it is cool because it prompts you if the portion of map data that you set a destination in has been updated, and then just updates that bit (so I’m going to end up with up-to-date UK mapping but out-of-date mapping for most of Europe - do I care, no!).

Order times are up the creek thanks to the WLTP regulations and VAG as a whole being behind the curve on getting all their vehicles tested. They will start to get back to normal eventually, but at the moment you’re just going to have to wait unless you can find something in stock or an order that’s no longer wanted somewhere in the system - definitely worth asking dealers to take a look.

And as for options, they are a purely personal thing. Don’t be swayed by what anyone else on here thinks is awesome, really useful, or utterly crap. Options do not add value to a car, they just make it yours and you’re the one to benefit from them. However, now I’ve said that... if you’re getting a DSG then Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) is a must. It really should be standard instead of normal Cruise Control on DSG (and other auto-box) cars.

Welcome to the forum!

Don't rule out the VW Tiguan Allspace and the SEAT Tarraco, prices are really similar so there is a chance you could get the same (or very similar) car for less. Unless of course the looks of the Kodiaq are what is swaying your choice.

Lead times on the Tiguan seem to be shorter than the Kodiaq too.

Be warned, there is a fairly sizeable issue with the 1.5 TSI 150PS engine you're looking at, both manual and DSG gearboxes are affected. The 1.5 TSI in the Kodiaq has only very recently arrived here in the UK so I'm not aware of any complaints, however there is plenty of noise over in Germany. Check this thread out for the story on the Kodiaq's baby brother, the Karoq...

I travelled for 20 minutes in the third row in our Kodiaq over Christmas and that was enough. As an adult I wouldn't want to be there much longer.

The alcantara seats are more durable than you might think. We've had it on our last three Skoda's, all with young kids and nothing has failed to wipe or wash off.  We put mats under each of the kids seats which covers the alcantara completely. The third middle seat is leather (or leather effect plastic), as are the back of the front seats, so non of it is exposed to the kids anyway.

I'd agree that the spare wheel is a good option. Opinion varies, but as I'm comfortable changing a wheel at the roadside it's a no-brainer for me, the other option being to wait for recovery. I just want to get the family out of danger and back home. At £105 it is much cheaper than trying to retrofit it after purchase. Be aware though that on the 7-seater you lose the variable boot floor.

Floor mats are a factory cost option on the SE L. I'd be asking your dealer to throw them in as part of the deal though? They're roughly the same price on eBay etc. Note that they don't include the mats for the third row. These are available but are dealer-fit or DIY only.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, john999boy said:

Skoda Connect gives you the option of real time traffic updates ( at a cost) but AFAIK the maps are free for 3 years.

I think the SEL comes with the Columbus head unit which supports Android Auto & Apple Car Play. Save the money and use Google Maps or Waze for real-time traffic instead of Skoda Connect. Goes without saying about using the apps for navigation also.

I find the satnav on my Superb, same as the Kodiaq isn't as direct as Google Maps.

As for other "Gosh" options... Front passenger seat ISOFIX was useful for us when we had a little one. I'd deactivate the airbag and move the seat back whenever we put a baby seat up front in our Superb. With it being a big car, it was preferable to reaching around into the back for dropped dummies/toys etc. The Kodiaq is a similar size inside so might be a useful addition for you. Only £45 option too.

Edited by r08shaw

1 hour ago, r08shaw said:

I think the SEL comes with the Columbus head unit which supports Android Auto & Apple Car Play. Save the money and use Google Maps or Waze for real-time traffic instead of Skoda Connect. Goes without saying about using the apps for navigation also.

I find the satnav on my Superb, same as the Kodiaq isn't as direct as Google Maps.

The BIG advantage of the SkCo route is that it doesn't require a phone to be connected during each journey.

IMHO the RTT is equally as good as Google or Waze.

2 hours ago, Skoffski said:

If AWD is not a necessity then VW and SEAT are still producing and selling 1.4 TSI 150ps 7 seat Sharan and Alhambra. 

They put those through WLTP

http://broadspeed.com

We loved our Alhambra. Brilliant for a young family and stacks of space. Just need to remember that it’s based on a design released in 2010....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skoffski said:

If AWD is not a necessity then VW and SEAT are still producing and selling 1.4 TSI 150ps 7 seat Sharan and Alhambra. 

They put those through WLTP

http://broadspeed.com

I didn't know this.

Had I been in the market for a Kodiaq now, and considering what I'm reading on the poor early adopters of the 1.5 TSI, I'd be looking at a 1.4 TSI Tiguan instead.

Edited by silver1011

19 hours ago, milkymarsh said:

3 days into ownership and loving the skoda connect features

335AD9AF-E34B-4576-B243-FD8921491A48.png

Does it come preinstalled with a sim card or did you have to provide your own? I've got an Edition on order and I believe it comes fitted (with a years subscription).

Could you post some more screen shots of the app?

You need to buy your own SIM card for the glovebox to connect your car to the internet, or connect via your own mobile phone...

You get a years subscription to Skoda Connect included with the car, but after 12 months you need to pay to renew. I think the prices have recently dropped a little though...

The emergency / SOS function remains valid (and free) for 15 years, the car must have it's own dedicated SIM card built in somewhere.

If you haven't got your Kodiaq yet, download the owners manual from here, there is loads of content on Skoda Connect to read-up on before it arrives...

http://www.skoda-auto.com/services/owners-manuals

Edited by silver1011

We have 3 kids. Seriously considered the Sharan as an option. You will get some pretty decent online discounts on the Sharan. Chose the Kodiaq due to the higher ride height, just felt there was more metal (or plastic) around the family in the event of an accident. My wife did not want an MPV. The 3rd row of seats in the Kodiaq are not really for regular use. The are more occasional and useful for kids and shorter adults on shorter runs. My 8 year old who sits in the last row more regularly feels sick there so end up on the back bench with my other two. If you want genuinely useful 3rd row seats the Sharan wins hands down. The Touran was just too small.

Edited by jasoncmiles
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, r08shaw said:

Does it come preinstalled with a sim card or did you have to provide your own? I've got an Edition on order and I believe it comes fitted (with a years subscription).

Could you post some more screen shots of the app?

Pics attached. What I like is that you can ‘pong’ the car if you can’t find it and also check that it’s locked too.

for the connect features in the car, you need to connect via Bluetooth off your phone or get a sim

50C291E5-1743-4976-97B0-D2FFC9C03942.png

99DE08B4-6C14-4EFD-B7EF-3A7174C25598.png

3D5CF2E0-BFF8-434E-A5E0-E1C4869EB2AA.png

• Like 1

Sat in a 7 seat Kodiaq DSG diesel yesterday and only impressive thing compared to our Karoq is the extra space but agree that the extra seats are really only suitable for children. The metallic Velvet Red looked good in the brightly lit showroom but the salesperson admitted outside didn't look that much different to a solid colour like Corrida Red and not worth the near extra £1,000 as a result. Be careful on 1st year road tax (VED) as the showroom car co2 pushed it £515 then £140 2nd year on. I thought the spare wheel price had gone up to £150 but still worth compared to the useless foam alternative, which needs to be replaced every 3 years as it has an expiry date printed on it (nice money spinner for dealers).:blink:

Thank you to everyone for the welcome and for taking the time to reply! :biggrin:

Some really interesting perspectives here. We took the Allspace off our list because of the (assumed) cost but once you add in the extras we want to the Kodiaq it almost evens out. Although reviews seem to rate the rear seats on the Kodiaq as better than the Allspace.

Quite concerning to hear about the 1.5 engine issues, although this appears to be happening in manual, and we're going with Auto. I'm assuming the DSG gearbox in the Kodiaq is the (can't remember if wet/ dry) that is the more reliable?

Definitely leaning towards the SUV style, rather than the MPV. I don't want to completely give up on life, but then again we're still going to look at one just to be sure the practicality of it isn't overwhelmingly compelling. 

Just watched a video on the parking assist feature. Just added it to the options list! Cripes!

I noticed a link to Broadspeed here - I've also looked at Carwow and Drive The Deal. Are these the best places to get the keenest prices?

21 minutes ago, Marakith said:

Just watched a video on the parking assist feature. Just added it to the options list! Cripes!

Seriously not worth it. You will use it a couple of times to show off to friends and the kids, but then you’ll get ****ed off with it parking two feet from the kerb, or badly in spaces, and realise that you much prefer parking it yourself.

Now... the BMW system where you can get out and it will park itself, and then get itself out of a space before you get in... I’ll take that one any day of the week :-)

• Like 2

We were also torn between the Kodiaq and the AllSpace. For the options we wanted, the AllSpace was ever so slightly cheaper and better equipped. However, there isn’t quite so much space inside, particularly for rear passengers; it doesn’t have quite so many practical storage places; the  boot has an annoying hump in the floor from the extra two seats. They’re both good options and doubt you can go wrong with either.

We used Carwow to get a price for ours - popped in the spec of the car we wanted, and had offers of prices within minutes. And some really good offers. I showed the offers to our local dealer, and they offered to beat the best offer (not by a huge amount) without any haggling, sucking of teeth, or hassle. It was incredibly easy. And I second Wiggo - park assist looks a fun toy, until you actually try and use it.

49 minutes ago, MrTrilby said:

We were also torn between the Kodiaq and the AllSpace. For the options we wanted, the AllSpace was ever so slightly cheaper and better equipped. However, there isn’t quite so much space inside, particularly for rear passengers; it doesn’t have quite so many practical storage places; the  boot has an annoying hump in the floor from the extra two seats. They’re both good options and doubt you can go wrong with either.

We used Carwow to get a price for ours - popped in the spec of the car we wanted, and had offers of prices within minutes. And some really good offers. I showed the offers to our local dealer, and they offered to beat the best offer (not by a huge amount) without any haggling, sucking of teeth, or hassle. It was incredibly easy. And I second Wiggo - park assist looks a fun toy, until you actually try and use it.

We were the same. Went looking for an allspace, but ended up with the Kodiaq. Originally went looking for a 12mth old version, but with the deals on it was cheaper on a monthly basis for me with a new one (I’m a former company car driver and use my car allowance to work it through via a pcp). 

Yes, the allspace is a bit more golf like in its dash etc, but beyond that the Skoda wins.

Take a look at the Carwow comparison video which compares between the Kia Sorento, Allspace and Kodiaq. It’s a real eye opener. Video link here:

We went for the sunroof as we like the natural light in the car itself. Others bemoan them.

All down to choices, but for the kids, missus and me, we love it. And that’s coming from a 180hp Alhambra dsg (being honest - the only bit the kids miss is the electric sliding side doors!)

18 hours ago, Marakith said:

Thank you to everyone for the welcome and for taking the time to reply! :biggrin:

Some really interesting perspectives here. We took the Allspace off our list because of the (assumed) cost but once you add in the extras we want to the Kodiaq it almost evens out. Although reviews seem to rate the rear seats on the Kodiaq as better than the Allspace.

Quite concerning to hear about the 1.5 engine issues, although this appears to be happening in manual, and we're going with Auto. I'm assuming the DSG gearbox in the Kodiaq is the (can't remember if wet/ dry) that is the more reliable?

Definitely leaning towards the SUV style, rather than the MPV. I don't want to completely give up on life, but then again we're still going to look at one just to be sure the practicality of it isn't overwhelmingly compelling. 

I noticed a link to Broadspeed here - I've also looked at Carwow and Drive The Deal. Are these the best places to get the keenest prices?

My wife was of the same opionion on the MPV which decided the Kodiaq for us. Personally I have found Broadspeed good, many rate Carwow too. Both do good discounts. The only options I would suggest, and this is a controversial one, is the heated steering wheel. Love it in the winter months. My view was only changed when I drove a mates Range Rover with the option.. Lastly the electronic child locks and blinds are good. I can select which child can leave the car based on age and trust. Blinds invaluable in the summer months.

Edited by jasoncmiles