Upgrading to new Superb

Splitprism

Hi, we are currently upgrading from a 2006 Avensis hatch to a new Superb estate, I was looking at a 1.5 tsi se exec but I'm a bit concerned about the 1st gear kangarooing problems being reported, should I stick to my guns and hope the TSI issue is resolved or pay out another couple of grand and go for the diesel with a DSG box? I only do about 8k miles a year, mostly A roads with a couple of miles of motorway. 

Any comments would be appreciated, thanks. 

For 8k Miles the extra cost of buying the diesel makes no sense, your fuel bills will not save much.  Diesels are not that economic when cold, or when doing a DPF regen.  For this sort of mileage avoid the complicated diesel with all its emissions equipment.

Not totally sure of the logic of comparing a petrol manual to a diesel DSG, by far the most appropriate combination is petrol DSG.   Although you mention SE exec, I am guessing you mean SE-L executive

Remember the petrols seem to be optimised to work with DSG boxes and not really any problems with petrol DSG.  So pay the extra for the DSG, but stick to petrol.

Thanks Surreyjohn, yes SE L executive. This sounds like a good compromise which keeps the price tag down a bit, just wandering if anyone has this 1.5tsi DSG combination and how they are finding it? 

Thanks. 

Hi Ketecantek, I'm currently getting about 45 mpg from the Avensis and would love the bigger engine in the Superb, but I'm trying to keep the costs down on the new superb as the budgets already swollen from 18k to 22k and I am really after a brand new one.

So I'm still looking for the 1.5tsi with a DSG box, does anyone out there have one and if so is there any suggestion of the kangarooing problem or is it just confined to the 1.5 tsi married to the manual box? 

Thank you for the suggestion though. 

Might want to check what DSG box it is in the 1.5. I wouldn't want a dry clutch DSG. 45mpg versus say 40mpg on a 220 is minimal over 8k miles. With a new car you will lose so much more in depreciation so I don't get the penny pinching on fuel. That said, you have to shop around for a good deal on used cars and sometimes you can get fantastic discounts off new. 

Happy hunting!

• 3 weeks later...

Have just order a 1.5 petrol DSG - so am in the same boat as you (only read some concerns after ordering - so am doing some digging now).  Given 3yr warranty and also that real world problems are probably a small % as people tend to shout about thing going wrong more than things going right - so am crossing my fingers (may get extended warranty if it’s a real concern and just sell when nearing the 5 yr mark).

a tip on getting a good price is using an online quote site - I used CarWow and was surprised to get 25% off - though that includes PCP contribution.  I hat helped me decide getting new A’s initially was thinking 3yr old.

getting an SEL Exec like you also - so great minds ;)

Nice choice Imesparticus, I've had a change of mind and gone for the 1.4 dsg sportline in the end, I'm sure the 1.5 will be fine though! I'll be extending the warranty after 3 years too, better safe than sorry! 

If buying New , you can get the extra 1 or 2 years option  added to the original warranty , so long as its done befoer finishing build or i think  they ship the car over , its then a like for like manufacturers warrant , did that on my 1.5 tsi DSG Octavia earlier in the year , last minute decision but accepted as the car was still in the build stage .Have a word with your dealer .

Thanks - yes, have spoke  to dealer and can extend the warranty as not yet being built (only ordered 2 weeks ago).

The dealer also explained they do an extended warranty with the same cover (and similar price) I can opt in to down the line ... which seems sensible if I can get a better feel for how likely the 1.5 TSI causes problems.  Any opinions on why that wouldn’t be a good idea?

oh, and @splitprism - enjoy the Sportline, nice!

Well I've picked up the new sportline and got it home safely at which point the missus pointed out that there's not much rubber on them wheels and you'd better not kerb them! The pressure is now well and truly on:sweat: