Tow bars for Skoda Yeti

SamHudson

13 hours ago, SamHudson said:

What tow bars are recommended to carry up to 4 bikes on Skoda Yeti 1.2 DSG petrol? 

It would be worth starting here. https://www.roofbox.co.uk/bike-carriers/

You could also consider https://pendle-bike.co.uk/collections/bike-racks/tow-bar-mounted

I currently have a two bike Thule that clamps to the tow ball and am surprised how easy it was to use. I owned one of the Pendle cow-horn style models many years ago and it was very well engineered.

Colin

I have a Witter towbar with a fixed 2 bolted ball which clamps an attachment for a rack to carry my trials bike, the combined weight is 84kg. no issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickT said:

I have a Witter towbar with a fixed 2 bolted ball which clamps an attachment for a rack to carry my trials bike, the combined weight is 84kg. no issues.

Except that is more than the recommended tow hitch/nose weight for a Yeti!

Edited by Llanigraham

I know you do a lot of towing Graham.

This is indeed a bit of a grey area, I enquired and was advised by wittter, the  towbracket (not the ball) can safely carry a straight load greater than this and that the load I intend to carry is well within limits and I could have 10kg more. Though this info is not published as the different applications are so variable  and I have some evidence to cover my a*$e.

The nose weight is a weight fixed by the car manufacturer and will always be less than the maximum weight limit of the towbar. I note that Westphalia state that the weight limit for their fixed tow bar is 150kg and 100kg for the removeable one. As stated the nose weight for the Yeti is 80kg  and certainly in the caravanning world is one you try not to exceed, and you are doing so, and by 5%. Your "evidence" would only show that you are not exceeding the towbar manufacturers limits, not the car manufacturers.
Now whether that is illegal or not, I do not know, but I do know that the Police and DVSA Inspectors have tested vehicles at spot checks and have impounded vehicles and trailers because of it, and have made caravanners reload their caravans to attempt to bring the nose weight down. There are also insurance implications. The car nose weight limits are based on the maximum weight that they consider make it "safe" and exceeding that limit could be considered making your car "unsafe".
Personally I would not be happy with your bike on the back and would be looking at ways to reduce that weight in some way. I know that members of my motorclub who trial have stopped carrying their bikes in this way and now use trailers instead.