Citigo tale of woe, horror and information

dave_scotland

I bought my 2013 Citigo all singing all dancing Greentech Elegance a couple of years ago from Arnold Clark and have loved it's performance and fuel economy. A few months ago I reversed left from the side of my house to the front of my house and a yellow steering warning light came on. As I turned right to go down the drive the skiddy car warning light came on. I didn't notice anything different in how the car drove so I went a few miles to do my shopping and then went home.

I did some research on the internet and it seemed there was something wrong with the electro mechanical power steering. The solution given was to turn the steering wheel fully to the left - then fully to the right, centre the steering wheel and then drive slowly until the light went out. I tried that numerous times but the light stayed on.

As I said there was nothing different in driving the car and as the warning light was not red (stop and get car delivered to a garage) I continued to drive it.

Anyway the MOT was due and apparently as any warning light would result in a fail I took the car to a reliable garage that I have used in the past for checking. They said it would cost me £40 to connect to the diagnostic computer which I agreed to. The result was "undefined error". The garage said they would look into it and get back to me. They never got back to me.

When I got the car I paid for 2 years Clark Service & MOT so I booked the car in on Tue 15 Jan  - three days before the MOT was due and told them about the warning light - they said it would cost £54 to investigate - I agreed.

The next day they phoned me and said they couldn't find the fault but they thought it may be the steering pump or maybe the steering column and the car would have to go to a Skoda main repair dealer. As I needed the car to get through the MOT I agreed but I pointed out that as it electro mechanical steering there would be no pump - and they changed it to "steering motor".

The next day they phoned me and said that the Skoda dealer (29 miles away) couldn't do the check until Tue 22 Jan and would cost £198 - I agreed.

I phoned Arnold Clark on Wed and they said checks were still underway at the Skoda dealer but it may need a software update - I agreed.

I didn't hear anything on Thu.

I phoned them this morning Fri 25 Jan and they said the Skoda dealer had upgraded the software and my car would be back today and they would do the service and MOT. Phone call at 14.30 - car passed MOT and ready for collection. No parts were required and no work was necessary apart from software update.

So after not having the car for 11 days and a cost of £252 to put the warning light out, I got my car back.

• Sad 1

Unfortunately the manufacturer wouldn't do anything to help because you never went to an approved Skoda dealer in the first instance. 

I know its harsh, but having worked for PSA, that's probably the response you'd get and it's why I'd always recommend servicing at a approved dealer, despite the costs involved to do so, its usually worth it when something goes wrong

4 hours ago, Hyphons said:

Unfortunately the manufacturer wouldn't do anything to help because you never went to an approved Skoda dealer in the first instance. 

I know its harsh, but having worked for PSA, that's probably the response you'd get and it's why I'd always recommend servicing at a approved dealer, despite the costs involved to do so, its usually worth it when something goes wrong

Yes probably right but my nearest Skoda dealer is 28 miles away and 2 buses and two trains each way to travel to. Not realistic to drop my car off for service and MOT.

I suppose I should be thankful that Arnold Clark at least took the car and collected it from the dealer for me. (after charging me £54 to not solve the problem)

Edited by dave_scotland
  • Like 1

@dave_scotland Find someone with VCDS and have them scan it and clear the error. I have it and it's invaluable, paid for itself many times over. You don't say where is Scotland you are but if it's anywhere in the central belt I could have done if for you gratis.

I find it hard to believe a software update could fix a genuine fault that developed after 5 years (unless the update stops checking the sensor :ohmy:)

Peter

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sportq said:

@dave_scotland Find someone with VCDS and have them scan it and clear the error. I have it and it's invaluable, paid for itself many times over. You don't say where is Scotland you are but if it's anywhere in the central belt I could have done if for you gratis.

I find it hard to believe a software update could fix a genuine fault that developed after 5 years (unless the update stops checking the sensor :ohmy:)

Peter

Thanks for the offer Peter.

1 hour ago, Defenderben said:

All the main dealers I have used for basic services/faults and even mot, offer a courtesy car; so why the need for buses/trains?

Thanks - i didn't know that - i will bear it in mind next time.

• Like 1