Squeal when engine idling

Hi

it goes away on moving, but when the engine is idling we’ve noticed a high pitched squeal. 

Is this normal?

if not what could it be?

I only collected the car yesterday, and it wasn’t doing it then

its a diesel 1.6 SE L estate ‘65 plate with 77k mileage fsh 

1 minute ago, VAGGAZ said:

I know there is a tpi for cambelt making a noise when on idle. Have a listen under bonnet and see if you can pin point it to this area

I know that this is going to sound dumb but, which side is the cam belt? Left side when facing bonnet?

if it is the cam belt should I be worried? I have to admit that I am at the moment after hearing what it could be. 

I have similar thing happening. But I think its only happening when its cold or the engine is cold basically. Its coming from the "belt area" its like ...."shhh shhh shhh" sometimes. Its liek a friction sound no squek. I wanted totake it to a dealer but when I got there and checked, when the engine was hot, there was no sound going on :D

So I'm not sure too if we should worry or not.
(octy vRS 2016 TDi)

Is belt "sound" okay to exist ?

Edited by fat4l

I too had a 'chirping' from the timing belt when my engine was cold. (2016 vRS TDI) Recorded it on my phone and sent to dealer - they immediately recognised it to be the timing belt tensioner.

Timing belt and tensioner replaced under warranty, no questions asked. I guess it's common...

Edited by pist0nbr0ke

My car was bought used so I’m just out of warranty :’( 

what could cause the pre tensioner to start failing? Driving on the red repeatedly?

Ok we drove the car again today and it’s definitely chirping away quite loudly on idle  / low speed 

ive got a video of it but I’ll have to compress the file first / upload it to YouTube when I get in

if it is cambelt pretensioners approximately how much is this going to cost? I’ve booked the car in next Monday at Skoda for diagnosis 

any hints and and tips appreciated 

It’s still doing it, I’ve booked it in with trusted independent garage as cheaper than main dealership, but I’m still at a loss of what it could be. 

They need to run manual diagnostics themselves, but they said they doubt it’s the cambelt 

Edited by Mee

Just now, pist0nbr0ke said:

Sounds exactly like mine did. New belt and tensioner sorted it. May be worth trying a Skoda dealer for goodwill contribution - there is a TPI for it.

Sorry I don’t mean to sound thick here, but what’s a TPI?

1 hour ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

Sounds exactly like mine did. New belt and tensioner sorted it. May be worth trying a Skoda dealer for goodwill contribution - there is a TPI for it.

aux or timing belt?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

Technical Product Information

Not a recall, but an advisory. Suggests that it is a well known issue.

I took it down and had the service manager have a listen, who in turn took it into the work shop for the technicians to have a listen. 

you’re spot on! They said cambelt pretensioners, so I said whilst they’re in the engine they might as well do cambelt and water pump (£££)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My 2.0tdi estate is booked in for what I guess is this same issue, it's been back and forth since it was serviced a few weeks back as the mechanic said that he could hear a rattle on the engine. On the first visit, no rattle but your battery is faulty. So that was changed. Then on the next visit, no rattle, but there is a known issue that they'd detected, so it's going back in next week. All under warranty as well, so happy days. It's only got 21,000 miles on it so far at 16 months old. :thumbup:

On 26/02/2019 at 14:56, Stonker said:

My 2.0tdi estate is booked in for what I guess is this same issue, it's been back and forth since it was serviced a few weeks back as the mechanic said that he could hear a rattle on the engine. On the first visit, no rattle but your battery is faulty. So that was changed. Then on the next visit, no rattle, but there is a known issue that they'd detected, so it's going back in next week. All under warranty as well, so happy days. It's only got 21,000 miles on it so far at 16 months old. :thumbup:

Following on from the above post, the dealer called me yesterday and confirmed that they had ordered the parts to change the cam belt and tensioners etc. While they had the car in bits did I want them to to change the water pump as well? I enquired about the cost and he came back with a cost of just over£265 to be paid by me. I insisted that they considered the cost and as the water pump is directly linked to the cam belt, they should better the price, nearer to the £200 mark.

The chap called me back and had reduced the price to £210 all in so I agreed, the only annoyance now is it was due to go in tomorrow morning but they don't yet have all the parts, so it's been delayed. Hopefully in on Thursday morning and back for the weekend.

Is it reasonable price wise, bearing in mind the cars age, or should I push for a better contribution towards the water pump replacement? I'm having doubts now :speechless:

• 2 weeks later...

I'd question that

Cambelt is in the £400 region with a waterpump was £450 if i remember correctly.

Why they are asking you to cover the cost of £210 would make me question if they are charging you the labour time with the replacement Water Pump and saving them selves some money

3 minutes ago, fat4l said:

Well they replaced cambelt and tensioner(apparently) but on the note it only says "cambelt replaced" but they said tensioner as well  

Afaik the pretensioners and cambelt come as one kit

1 hour ago, Mee said:

Afaik the pretensioners and cambelt come as one kit

Yeah thats what they said so.....but still the noise is stil there when the engine is cold. When hot its ok but when cold you hear the noise like .... cricket ?