Brake Pads at 43K?

Had my Octavia from new in Sept 16, I had a Yeti, Superb and Octavia before this, all did well over 80K before needing brake pads.

My drive hasn't changed, maybe a few more motorway miles than previously, my driving style generally hasn't changed (I have probably slowed down if anything)

Any ideas why I'd need brake pads so early?

Is this through your own inspection or as advised by a dealer?

im asking this because a Skoda dealer gave me a 10% or 1000 miles left warning on my front pads last June or about 15,000 miles ago. They are still ok at circa 51k miles.

Getting more common as old fashioned cleaning/servicing of brakes is never done. When we get weather events like the "beast from the east”, the brakes get caked in salt and corrosion rapidly builds up on exposed moving parts. Calipers stop sliding freely on carriers and brakes start binding, increasing wear of pads and disks.

If people stripped their brakes and serviced them every year imo they could even double the life of pads and discs. Of course this is not done in regular servicing and there would be an issue of cost.

If you are not sure whether the dealer is trying to fleece you into early replacement there are 2 options available. I have a 2 tonne trolley jack because I swap my wheels between winter/summer. This allows me to check my brake pads every 6-7,000 miles also when you can see more clearly the pad condition when the wheels are off. Alternatively go to any tyre fitter explain you just want to examine whichever wheel (front/rear) and for a small fee they will remove the wheel for you to inspect and pop it back on for you. This option is more reliable than taking the word of a dealer and probably cheaper if you have plenty of life left in them. After almost 20,000 miles on my Vrs I know my front pads are 20% worn and the rears 10% worn.:thumbup:

Hmmmm. I think the Skoda's discs do rust up pretty quick overnight, I also know they do some kind of drying process in wet weather too.

I too need new pads & discs but, it has nothing to do with the inferior Skoda parts or high mileage

Edited by themanwithnoaim

15 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Hmmmm. I think the Skoda's discs do rust up pretty quick overnight, I also know they do some kind of drying process in wet weather too.

I too need new pads & discs but, it has nothing to do with the inferior Skoda parts or high mileage

He's the fastest Postie in the south. Busy day today with all those Valentines Cards to deliver?:tongueout:

....OP says brake pad warning light came on so I don't think it's an issue of whether they are needed or not, more a case of why.

Along with DSG vs Manual could also be size of discs (smaller and more pressure required?), size and weight of car? Any number of things really.....

The Yeti and the Superb (both heavier cars) were also DSG, the Yeti was 4x4 etc... so I really cannot see why they would die at 43,000 miles when over 80K was achieve on the previous vehicles.

To top it all the dealer sent me a quote for £80 to do the work and then actually charged me over £160 because they had made a mistake on the quote they sent out.

I like to be kissed while i'm being F~*cked... (funny enough they didn't see the funny side of that when I suggested it)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, bigjim73 said:

The Yeti and the Superb (both heavier cars) were also DSG, the Yeti was 4x4 etc... so I really cannot see why they would die at 43,000 miles when over 80K was achieve on the previous vehicles.

To top it all the dealer sent me a quote for £80 to do the work and then actually charged me over £160 because they had made a mistake on the quote they sent out.

I like to be kissed while i'm being F~*cked... (funny enough they didn't see the funny side of that when I suggested it)

I probably would have been less subtle saying something like "I prefer to have my balls stroked when I'm being FU**ED".:tongueout:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1