Set headlights to turn on\off with engine

RobertoRoomster

Hi,

I just got my first VAG car, a 2008 Skoda Roomster Style 1.4i BXW with LPG and I love it.

I have experience with other brands I own and I'm curious if it's possible with VCDS to set the headlights on my Roomster to turn on and off in accordance with the engine on\off. I have this on my other cars. Right now I have to turn the switch off to 0 when leaving the car otherwise the parking lights stay on. The main beam does turn off when engine off.

Is it possible to do this via software only?

Note I do have simple halogen headlights.

The OP has Romania as location.  But then i never spotted that on the phone.

Has a 2008 Roomster got DRL's?

@RobertoRoomster

In the UK those are Sidelights / Position lights that stay on, not 'Parking Lights;  Parking lights are one front and rear sidelight on when the ignition off and parked, and indicator stalk is down.

I seriously dislike lights that go off with the Ignition.  If you have to switch off the engine for any reason like at a junction, cars stalls the lights are out as you restart the car.

Not a common issue, but when ever you have this happen you might be happy the lights stay on as the ignition switch goes to off.

1 minute ago, Skoffski said:

@RobertoRoomster

In the UK those are Sidelights / Position lights that stay on, not 'Parking Lights;  Parking lights are one front and rear sidelight on when the ignition off and parked, and indicator stalk is down.

I seriously dislike lights that go off with the Ignition.  If you have to switch off the engine for any reason like at a junction, cars stalls the lights are out as you restart the car.

Not a common issue, but when ever you have this happen you might be happy the lights stay on as the ignition switch goes to off.

I understand the stalling scenario, but if I remember correctly on my other cars they only turn off completely if I turn the key to 0, so a stalling would not turn all lights off. I'll have to check this tomorrow, you made me curious. What I do hate is the beeping when turning off the car and removing the key, I have to manually turn the lights swtich to 0 every time :), maybe I made myself too lazy because of my other cars.

17 minutes ago, claudiu2s said:

It should be possible if u set DRL as Scandinavian mode in 09 Central electronics. If local to Hemel Hempstead i can code that in for u

I'm in Romania, but I do have VCDS. I'm going over the VCDS topics to learn more about coding though.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Skoffski said:

@RobertoRoomster

It doesn’t have DRL. Scandinavian drl option is using the main beam as DRL, so all lights will be on when this is coded in.

• Like 1

@PetrolDave

Why would dipped headlights glare other drivers or road users in daytime / daylight / poor visibility, they are used in the dark.

Unlike DRL's that do dazzle or cause glare when used in Daytime and poor weather / visibility, are only to the front and might be used when Dipped Beam and sidelights should be on.

PS

Translation again. 

Main Beam / Dipped Beam,  or Full / High Beam.

Edited by Skoffski

28 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

@PetrolDave

Why would dipped headlights glare other drivers or road users in daytime / daylight / poor visibility, they are used in the dark.

Unlike DRL's that do dazzle or cause glare when used in Daytime and poor weather / visibility, are only to the front and might be used when Dipped Beam and sidelights should be on.

PS

Translation again. 

Main Beam / Dipped Beam,  or Full / High Beam.

Because @RobertoRoomster posted MAIN beam not DIPPED beam :thumbup:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skoffski said:

As i was saying.  Main Beam to some is Full Beam but not to others.  not all say Dipped Beam when talking headlights.

Like some say 'Parking Light' when talking about Position Lights / Side Lights.   

I've never heard anyone say Main Beam when they mean DIpped Beam though...

As you say terminology varies - which is why when discussing technical or scientific issues it's vital to be 100% clear and unambiguous - unlike most "scientists" nowadays.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Skoffski said:

@PetrolDave

Do you or have you ever worked in a garage / dealership or where owners first language might not be English?

Not a garage or dealership, but an automotive consultancy where about 80% of our technicians and 20% of our engineers, and 90% of our customers, did not have English as their native language :thumbup:

• Like 1