Octavia questions please?

Hi all. I am thinking of buying a used Octavia diesel auto estate. There are a couple that catch my eye, 1 is a 2009 Laurin &  Klement 2.0 Tdi Pd with 120K miles and the other is a 2011 car same spec and engine but with 180K miles on it. The 2009 car has had 1 owner and full Skoda history and the 2011 car has had 2 owners with a full service history.

I am not asking you to help me decide which car but what are the feelings about the relative pro's and cons of both cars please? Also is there anything that I should look out for?

When we bought our son hid first car, a 2001 Fabia 1.9 Tdi we had many issues and spent loads of cash on it so I don't want to revisit that story if possible.

Any advise gratefully received.

Many thanks

Keith

Are these off a forecourt or private sellers.  The 09 plate might be a pre face but the 11 plate is a facelift.  The exterior changes are minimal if so (in essence the headlights), but the interior changes are more noticeable.  There's 60k in mileage difference so I don't know how I'd call it if the o9 is pre face.

What is the price difference?

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies chaps. The 11 car is a bit tatty to look at and seems to have had the stereo replaced with an aftermarket one, is that good? Don't know but if the factory version has bluetooth phone then I would prefer that.

Yes both cars are being sold by dealers and the 11 plate is £1500 less than the 09... The 09 does have a complete Skoda service history though and the cam belt was changed at 69K miles.

I really can't decide which to go for so much contemplation needed, the other thing is that someone is viewing my current car this afternoon, so I am hoping that they buy it ;)

Keith

Hi Mr Tibbs, I think both cars are on ebay ? if so the 09 as a towbar fitted ? I seem to remember years ago been told not to buy a car with a towbar, and especially a auto box thats been used for towing, whether this still holds good, I don't know. Actually they both have tow bars if they are the cars you'r looking at.

Edited by Straydragon
more info
  • Like 1

Well I sold my Chrysler Grand Voyager to the first couple that came to view it, almost for my asking price too :) Now the hunt is on.....

Re tow bars and auto's, yes I heard the same stories but I have been towing with automatic cars, Jeeps and Chrysler Grand Voyagers for donkeys years and never had any problems. I think as long as the maintenance is up to scratch and the fluids and filters are replaced as per schedule then engine and gearbox should perform well. That is supposing that one knows how to tow and doesn't overload the vehicle or the trailer so that the mechanicals are stressed.

Yes both the cars have tow bars but not both are on eBay ;)

Thanks again guys

Keith

The pd140 won't have a DPF so one less issue to worry about and engines go on for ever with regular annual oil changes and scheduled cambelt change.

I think for CR engine the EGR valve is behind the engine and costly to replace if it ever goes wrong where as the PD EGR valve in front of the engine and costs peanuts to change.

Other things to watch out is DMF rattle on idle as it will be costly to replace.

• Like 1