Mk1 Octavia VRS Combi 1U5 'FakeTaxi Build'

CRAIGYMCKOOL

57 minutes ago, CRAIGYMCKOOL said:

Thanks everyone. Apologies for the typos, typed it up quickly last night and can't go back and edit the posts. More coming in a few weeks. Got more Powerflex to go on the car and some cast TT wishbones.

love it mate.  you are not  far from Manchester either , be good to do a meet

any links to the tweeters please ?

• 2 weeks later...

Little upgrade done after work today. My rear boot lid gas struts were shot and barely held the lid up. When you closed the lid it would just come crashing down and I'd hope it didn't smash the window as it did.

Here are the old ones.

HhBg2H6.jpg

yamdtXw.jpg

So it was time to update. I used to own a Mk4 Golf R32 and it had brushed aluminium gas struts from the factory and I always thought they looked the dogs. So with a bit of ebay research I found these beauties.

np8aWfS.jpg

Here is the link to the struts on ebay https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F282762078976 they also have there own website which is https://www.strutsdepot.com if anyone is thinking of upgrading. 

So with a bit of messing around in the pitch black here is the finished product.

O28lCEP.jpg

27AgUPD.jpg

yyEKFRA.jpg

They lift the lid almost as soon as you click the boot open and are extremely powerful at 700nm of force in each strut (450nm is the standard rating of the OEM struts). You can reduce the pressure in them if required through a small grub screw at the base of the strut but I've found this isn't something that needs doing.

More coming this weekend, stay tuned.

Edited by CRAIGYMCKOOL
  • Like 2

On ‎26‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 18:48, CRAIGYMCKOOL said:

Here you go pal.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F371006436023

Not been a big car meet guy before. Probably should try and get into it

Thanks a lot

I am only after tweeters . Do you think the tweeters on the link below are the same as what you have fitted?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Focal-Integration-TWU15-1-5-15w-Rms-Dome-Car-Van-Taxi-Tweeters-Pair/352293021171?epid=4015698685&hash=item52064ce5f3&enc=AQADAAAC8FjVrDbVsZ8oH%2F8PNHtt9VX4%2Fw7FZcmMuqsX8uaFEduVjCudLdHI%2FuzkwASDekLf2zwCSwgrnFrA7NVbILIrmMWU2sasBVYAw%2BfZd7qatSkELvTDMMWpSmWvPDCb%2FxHXIbC6lnH8yXA8XDwdp9NVMjj4lihY2XA%2BzUr7nYT7UAJoCtkn8E6%2B5yEyEzGbWdynd%2BWaNCaRI2AJgJ6FZziMAHYTuaIksxfwlaeVDWUsGSjYwDoDHdxyCpzu59BGdwzkaKXhqo2lVHPfGEgOMw1VyyxKcZOxAG5IcYH%2Fv7mYgJsFLDjy4BTCYEt10Fwcg0VVw7y2WJ3a8x%2FTblml2konwjeJzIDXWoX1MDsnhNkEJvkESrUVuGOo%2B7qIa5pNLCVFC4kJZuaj2HZsYWKQ3g19iu4BHuhOWDIuLdcMoZkMwlHj8nrYi4FtxR8leJaB5%2Fv4kzH6AejtReUq2ik6L230odhLCA2pDlOIaBWY%2B6k8mJskx4J2oLQlEAHxK6Q4TXvUjgCk1zGnjkYxJGjuQ76I6F5SDW4xzq6e07pPRuXdKWu1jlf0ffRAcAQfOdXlX30Jn73BXhKFHqRWQ9el12P1WVP1wmDiJ2MaMNP7GE%2BzMzUT1utY%2BlquJoYusf0f3rh8C2%2BWvh2kd7XJ6dunqAKxPi18JNvskvUWjkaI8o8fXSqea%2FzAUiV9ozDOeiT%2BGwyLWNDuia0cjcbvGzpBW2YWJLzjh5ieFzYjRxHCwb10Y3HCwIoBPSffIK6QUToFZpS5w6AyKoxlJD70Z963H1Uvm%2F3pdrNQWrz75VBaILOMSkvz6yjXAshD7A%2F6pSjjAi3mD3h1o6%2Bz6ZoMbie2HGk1sScnq79mZqAYO9m4D8PXEXjwez36WXn6duijJynFDjff%2F2xRBGBptnaQ%2FztskOvAPnkeFA33EnAWjMfhfEtDK8TBILAdqtYi81s1CIY%2F8s1XieQfj2E23pYAUHXJ%2FvaYOEROq0l2okzGVCWfaMQzSz7z&checksum=3522930211717e38b66b278a403fb2fbb76c1450deef

thanks

7 hours ago, hussair5 said:

am only after tweeters . Do you think the tweeters on the link below are the same as what you have fitted?

The tweeters in the kit are these https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F130895812131 you'd have to find a UK seller as the only ones on eBay are from the US.

48 minutes ago, CRAIGYMCKOOL said:

The tweeters in the kit are these https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F130895812131 you'd have to find a UK seller as the only ones on eBay are from the US.

Thanks mate. The link I have posted above for the tweeters . Would they fit in where the oem tweeters are?

On 20/03/2019 at 19:36, hussair5 said:

Thanks mate. The link I have posted above for the tweeters . Would they fit in where the oem tweeters are?

Sorry, I have no idea. I didn't know mine would fit before I bought them. Had to do some light work with a Dremel to make them fit. 

Ater having an armrest in my R32, I knew that I couldn't live without one in my VRS. I'd been on the lookout for a decent secondhand one since I bought the car about 9 months ago. I finally found one last week on eBay for £25 posted complete with all nuts and bolts required to do the mod. How could I say no? Here's the armrest.

Nf6kddg.jpg

It only has a black fabric top to it but thats OK as I'm planning on some reupholstery in the next few weeks/month. It's a very simple mod and only took 30mins. Here are the steps.

First up is removing the rear cup holder and cubby hole.

2ils8nO.jpg

Next was unscrewing the 2 x T25 screws holding the centre console to the floor and pulling the centre console up and over the handbrake. Not forgetting to unplug the cigarette lighter.

lKKhoLj.jpg

These are the nuts and bolts that make it all possible.

oMKHfAz.jpg

The clips go onto the existing holes in the floor like this.

kf7Zltc.jpg

The bracket fits on like this.

SnZNxs2.jpg

Screw it down.

DUiY9sP.jpg

Centre console back on.

224wvsu.jpg

Then screw the armrest onto the post you just installed. Not sure why one half of the plastic surround isn't fitting properly. They are coated in VW's famous soft touch plastic so I will be pulling them off and removing the coating so will get to the bottom of the fit and finish then.

alkBJ3f.jpg

Here's the finished article.

1hRQ4Mi.jpg

pnDjYCC.jpg

Edited by CRAIGYMCKOOL
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, marfrohun said:

What an awesome build. You went all out on that, incredible job! Never thought those TT wheels would look so good on a Skoda. Keep us updated, it's really making me want a Mk1 :thumbup:

Plenty more in the pipeline. More this weekend too if the weather holds.

Another little mod after work. Got some stamped metal reg plates.

OC1EmGG.jpg

First, I needed to remove the old ones and see what was underneath. I knew the rear boot was rusting but wasn't sure how badly.

FUkknUF.jpg

Not looking good. So with the help of some label remover, engine degreaser and some Farecla G3 Pro Scratch Remover Paste I got it looking like this.

7btoRAq.jpg

Still not great. So I painted the exposed rust with Waxoil in the hope it prevents further rusting. The real solution is find a new boot and get it respayed so if anyone knows of someone breaking a Combi please let me know. Time to get the plates on with some double sided foam tape.

FYiY0M1.jpg

wycEp6U.jpg

LMIbcTV.jpg

• Like 1

So my first plan was to get my rear wheel alignment sorted. Ever since I replaced the rear beam axle the toe has been out by half a degree or so. So after a little research I found these adjustable rear shims.

y9FVHs0.jpg

Very intuitive to use and seemed simple enough. All I had to do was follow the simple guide and install them behind the stub axles or so I thought. Turns out the rear wheel speed sensor gets in the way of them so I needed to cut them to give the sensor space. This just resulted in them cracking into a million pieces and being unusable. So I gave it up as a bad job. I'll get some more and try again another time. I did however discover my passenger rear capliers had seized up and now doesn't bite the rotor. So all was not lost. 

On to the next job for the day. I've always liked the convenience indicators in modern cars (press the indicator down once and the indicator flashes 3 times for changing lanes). So I found a mk4 Golf OEM kit for retrofitting it to our cars.

11i9AKx.jpg

The instructions are really naff so I found a really good guide from the Humble Mechanic on YouTube which talks you through it step by step. Link is here.

The guide is for a Mk4 Golf but is identical apart from the interior removal part. Here is a few pics of the install.

fTLsnjG.jpg

abyJ08w.jpg

A VAG de-pinning tool would of made this next part much easier but nothing a little ingenuity and perseverance couldn't sort out.

NZZgriA.jpg

AHNChZZ.jpg

Wrapped the relay and connectors in foam to stop any potential dash rattles.

bICFq0l.jpg

ULYC8bI.jpg

ys0pQwq.jpg

Then hidden everything back in the dash.

tJxTbOr.jpg

Job done. Took her for a test drive and the system works rather well :thumbup:

Edited by CRAIGYMCKOOL
  • Like 1

After a long drive to Telford after work, I am now the proud owner of some Leon Curpa R Brembo capliers. Couldn't of asked any more of the seller. Really great bloke and even threw in 2 rear 256mm capliers for £10. Next step is the send them all away to BiggRed Ltd for full refurb and painting in Skoda green :thumbup:

Here are the before pics. I'll update once I get them back.

LRxVOqM.jpg

a5EUIBI.jpg

kLCzTzW.jpg

mk3IzLs.jpg

Edited by CRAIGYMCKOOL
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the capliers back from BiggRed and what an amazing job those guy do. Here's a few pictures of them. Should be fitting them to the car on Monday.

Lu0bTbU.jpg

lOOrLMk.jpg

OsPxanQ.jpg

9dt48PR.jpg

CHZ1hAD.jpg

JiIua9w.jpg

TAAcCJw.jpg

O24a2Xu.jpg

CVHzioJ.jpg

FHZoX9l.jpg

Edited by CRAIGYMCKOOL
Left my address in one of the pictures. Now removed.
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, CRAIGYMCKOOL said:

How strange. So you can't see any images in the entire post?

•  

Must have been a glitch, now been able to view all pics, fantastic work.

A banana combi vrs is a rare thing. 

And this is definitely going to become one of the best examples still in use as a daily :)

brilliant work sir, those calipers look fantastic!