Mk1 Octavia VRS Combi 1U5 'FakeTaxi Build'

CRAIGYMCKOOL

11 hours ago, mac11irl said:

A banana combi vrs is a rare thing. 

And this is definitely going to become one of the best examples still in use as a daily :)

brilliant work sir, those calipers look fantastic!

Thanks pal! Got a lot of stuff planned for Monday. New capliers,braided lines, disks, pads, full service, timing belt, water pump etc etc so stay tuned.

• Like 1

So after test fitting the front capliers on Monday it was found the wheels wouldn't clear them. I ordered some 5mm H&R hub centric spaces for the front and took the opportunity to get some 15mm spacers for the rear. I took the car down to a friends garage so he could lend a hand and also use one of their ramps. 

I went for EBC disks and greenstuff pads and HEL braided lines. 

Unfortunately I didn't manage to get any pictures of the process of installing them but I took plenty of them installed. So here you go. 

HAz2CPa.jpg

fKSOky0.jpg

A8NwQJv.jpg

ILWqrUq.jpg

B1GiRAu.jpg

UcIH8Sc.jpg

hSpHNy6.jpg

kHHfDhG.jpg

Lcexdse.jpg

qe61WD4.jpg

qkCOXss.jpg

irtuUTT.jpg

PuTAy8X.jpg

Edited by CRAIGYMCKOOL
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 22:04, CRAIGYMCKOOL said:

New to Briskoda, not new to car forums. Thought I'd start my build tread to catalog the work I have done so far. Will update as more work is done.

0kAMLep.jpg

Bought her from Doncaster in June of 2018. She was listed for £1800 and managed to haggle my way down to £1600. She had 130k on the clock, 2 owners from new with one of them owning it for at least 10 years and had a full Skoda dealership service history. 

She needed a full service and was very obvious the suspension was shot but was that was to be expected as the car was completely stock and unmolested. The auxiliary belt was also chirping. After a few days I went to euro car parts and bought everything I needed for the service, auxiliary belt and tensioner change. I didn't skimp on anything and bought the best I could including NGK iridium plugs, castrol edge 5w30 (I know 10w40 is recommended).

Once the service was done and I was happy with the car I started to work out what I was going to do with the suspension and form a plan on what I wanted the car to be. As she's my daily driver I'm rather limited in scope of work and time frames I have in which to get work done. Considering this, I think I've accomplished a fair amount of work. 

So my next plan was to replace everything underneath the car and get it up to as new condition and do as many upgrades as possible along the way. It took a few months to assemble to parts and once done I managed to time it with a week off work in which I could get the work done.

I started by buying a used front subframe from an 8L Audi S3 and rear beam axle from a Mk1 Octavia VRS hatchback and sending them away to be sand blasted and powder coated in satin black.

azZjOH4.jpg

oUGNduq.jpg

KYm768P.jpg

Next up was to buy new Lemforda parts including wishbones, drop links, bottom ball joints, top mounts, ARB bushes, subframe rear Powerflex bushes, rear stub axles, rear wheel bearings, beam axle Powerflex bushes, rear brake lines to the capliers and other parts I'm forgetting about. 

Basically replace EVERYTHING!

WmuWPLK.jpg

Condition before starting the work.

edYhySG.jpg

ffeZNb4.png

Hammerited the rear stub axles to prevent rust.

2kZO06R.jpg

Cleaned out all wheel arches and applied Waxoil for rust prevention.

DrG9QdW.jpg

JS1uia9.jpg

rWankL8.jpg

Took all brake components apart and thoroughly cleaned them using Iron Out cleaner.

PmGveCs.jpg

Washing line came in very handy for drying haha.

KZYpuVL.jpg

Old subframe came out. I decided to keep the same front ARB and upgrade it later (bad idea in hindsight).

T2Po0G4.jpg

Treated myself to KW Inox Varient 1 Coilovers.

dS8UxlF.jpg

Few pictures of them going in the car.

OJJPsWi.jpg

ckGjSxg.jpg

twpthHx.jpg

EBSftyt.jpg

z3OH7Wz.jpg

E76Ytd4.jpg

HTSjFgG.jpg

i0OlvV9.jpg

This was all done in the week off I had and for the most part was trouble free apart from one gigantic pain in the a**. In the process of removing the rear beam axle you have to detach the hard brake lines that run from the front of the car. Now, as they where 130k old and completely rusted solid they snapped. This meant I have to replace them. This involves dropping the fuel take which when it is half full of fuel is a complete nightmare of a job which I hope I never have to do again. The hard lines were 4m long and there are 2 of them. This is the box they came in.

rO9LjUk.jpg

This counter is chest high haha.

qMwUP2U.jpg

Then once they were fitted the brakes needed a full bleed. This usually simple job caused even more problems as after 2 hours of trying it was worked out the master cylinder was goosed and was the next victim of my replacement spree.

Lyk8zL0.jpg

NalLTeo.jpg

Hd7yNZs.jpg

audi subframe and Octavia mk1 vrs exactly the same or different?

• Like 1

On 02/07/2019 at 10:53, hussair5 said:

audi subframe and Octavia mk1 vrs exactly the same or different?

The Audi S3 8L shares the same subframe with the VRS along with the R32 and LCR. I'm not sure on other Mk4 cars though. www.oemepc.com will allow you to check part numbers against other cars.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Loved reading through this, good to see another Mk1 Estate.

I just posted a topic on ours, but it is more a kind of 'keep it alive' thread rather than a project (at the moment anyway).

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Just stumbled on this, I think for the first time. The car looks great and If I could get ours even halfway to where yours is I would be pleased!

I am frantically browsing to see how much the KW V1 suspension is, but realistically we will probably stay stock - still I'm struggling to even find that at the moment (of a decent brand).

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Love this thread! What a great job you've done on this car. It looks fantastic and everything is done properly, combining form and function. Outstanding! :clap:

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

Someone else owns it now, a guy called Jamie, just trying to find it... (edit: Found ) (Edit 2 - He's already sold it to someone else now) -  Craig started to break it, and sold a fair bit of it. I took his Miltek Sportcat downpipe. :notme:

Edited by DeanVRS20VT
  • Like 1