Hi, I've just discovered and joined the forum having just purchased a 2015 '65' plate Fabia SE 1.4 TDI Estate.

Is this what is referred to as a Mk III Fabia?

I have only been out for a couple of runs in it and I really like it, however yesterday I encountered a problem.

I was at traffic lights and had selected neutral and released clutch so engine stop had activated (done it lots of times two days previous and also during this journey). When it came to starting and I depressed the clutch, it did not start and I got a message to start manually.

I've had that before in other makes of car so just tried to key start but there was nothing except a strange 'squeak' noise (bit hard to describe). I tried a couple of times and got same. Took key out and tried again, still nothing. I sat and waited just about 10 seconds then tried again and it started.

I cannot remember if the restart coincided with me depressing the clutch and whether I had tried to start it before without the clutch but I'm wondering if that was the problem. Not dared use stop start since.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue before? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

10 minutes ago, Zebede said:

Is this what is referred to as a Mk III Fabia?

If you look at the 7th and 8th digits of the VIN (visible through windscreen, on nearside) they will be NJ if you have a mk3, or 5J if it is a mk2.  Most likely a mk3.

Thanks Wino,

As soon as I read your message I recall seeing Type 5J on the V5 log book but decided to go and check on the car and it is in fact NJ.

So now I know it's Mk III

The VIN number on the V5 matches the car but  at the top of the V5 'D2 type' states 5J. Is that something else/coincidence?

V5.jpg

1 minute ago, Skoffski said:

@Zebede Welcome.

While you have your VIN to hand you might as well check your car for any Recall Actions, and if the Coolant change has been done.

There is a pinned thread up the page on the Euro 6 1.4 TDI 3 cylinder and the Service Campaign / Recall Actions.

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

Many thanks. I'll check this out.

You specifically mention coolant change. Was that an issue or an expected service action at a given time/mileage?

On the service history print out it mentions sump plug, oil filter, pollen filter, screenwash but not coolant. Could these be extras whilst standard items are not listed? It seems to be only a brief print out.

How would I know if the coolant had been changed?

• Like 1

It is a Service Campaign item.  No cost to the owner.   Dealerships with a car in for Servicing should check if the cars requires after checking the VIN and TPI etc.

Comes about due to Overheating and Water Pump Failings.

See the Thread up pinned at top of the Section.

Ask a Dealership or Skoda UK if required or has been carried out, if it was due and not done, ask why not.  Maybe the cars keeper / owner refused it.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

PS

A 2015 car was due a Brake Fluid change at 3 years old, any record of that having been done?

Edited by Skoffski

2 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

It is a Service Campaign item.  No cost to the owner.   Dealerships with a car in for Servicing should check if the cars requires after checking the VIN and TPI etc.

Comes about due to Overheating and Water Pump Failings.

See the Thread up pinned at top of the Section.

Ask a Dealership or Skoda UK if required or has been carried out, if it was due and not done, ask why not.  Maybe the cars keeper / owner refused it.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

I checked the recall and diesel engine software issues on the link you gave and none affect my car.

If I understand you correctly, it seems the coolant change was recommended for all cars so I'll ask.

Thanks for your knowledge and help.

• Like 1

The Diesel Voluntary Recall is about 1.2,1.6 & 2.0l Euro 5 TDI's, nothing to do with 1.4 3 cylinder diesels or Euro 6 emissions.

Best check the Coolant Recall Actions,  Dealers Employees called it a 'Recall' but Registered Keepers were not contacted as it was not a DVLA / VW Recall, Safety Critical.

14 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

PS

A 2015 car was due a Brake Fluid change at 3 years old, any record of that having been done?

Hi, yes I've got brake/clutch fluid shown on the service history in Aug last year before the 3 year date in October. Thank you.

PS I've asked Skoda to contact me to confirm re coolant.

Edited by Zebede
add detail
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Wino said:

Good question!

I'd say something else/coincidence or maybe error?  Could do with another mk3 owner having a look at the that line of their V5, and letting you/us know what it says.

I've got my V5 to hand while reading this. Mine is a MKIII, NJ5 and the V5 shows the type as 5J also. In fact the 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th characters of the Vin number are NJ5J.

8 hours ago, JXS said:

I've got my V5 to hand while reading this. Mine is a MKIII, NJ5 and the V5 shows the type as 5J also. In fact the 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th characters of the Vin number are NJ5J.

Yours is a model-year (abbrev. to MY usually) 2018 car then? https://support.alldata.com/alldata-repair-online-article/vin-to-year-chart

That doesn't necessarily mean it was built in 2018 though https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_year. A bit like magazines where the March edition seems to come out before February has really got going.

Can't remember what the 9th digit means,

The “type” shown on the V5 issue, my wife has a 2015 Polo which fixer/owners refer to as being a 6C but the earlier version of this car was 6R there were quite a lot of changes between the two versions though mainly restricted to power trains and electronics/electrics, the VIN plate quotes 6R the VW Build Statement quotes 6R but the sales model is a 6C variant though in this case the model grouping that is used in motoring forum is one to cover the two similar car - obviously, to the casual viewer these MK2 and MK3 Fabia are completely different cars, all a bit silly maybe.

Stop/Start, when first having an issue with the engine stopping and then got auto starting, it is too easy to get into panic mode especially at traffic lights - you are remembering that these cars like most other newish cars needs the clutch pedal floored before you can start the engine using the key?

I have an 8 years old Audi S4 and as I only use it for longer journeys, I don’t always end up completely flooring the clutch pedal and so get welcomed by silence and the “needle sweep” - and no engine start, though maybe it hands out a “press clutch down” warning, which if you are in a “tight spot” you might not notice! Just me suggestion that is all.

Sorry OP what I did not say was, that your description of the car’s response to you trying to restart ties in with everything going to plan but the starter motor being inhibited by the last clutch pedal sensor/switch not being enabled - which is exactly what I would expect if the clutch pedal was either not pressed at all or not pressed all the way down.

2 hours ago, rum4mo said:

Stop/Start, when first having an issue with the engine stopping and then got auto starting, it is too easy to get into panic mode especially at traffic lights - you are remembering that these cars like most other newish cars needs the clutch pedal floored before you can start the engine using the key?

I have an 8 years old Audi S4 and as I only use it for longer journeys, I don’t always end up completely flooring the clutch pedal and so get welcomed by silence and the “needle sweep” - and no engine start, though maybe it hands out a “press clutch down” warning, which if you are in a “tight spot” you might not notice! Just me suggestion that is all.

Thank you for this. I think/hope that is what happened. You are correct, at traffic lights with dozens of cars honking behind you it's easy to forget exactly what you did. I tried to think logically what might have caused it but your description is helpful. Sounds just like what happened to me. Thanks.