VRS downpipe and Engine Management Light

Evening all, thinking about adding the downpipe and an updated map however I have read that the Engine Management Light maybe activated.

Anyone who has a downpipe fitted, what was done to turn the light off?

Was it done as part as part of the remap or was it a VCD and coding job?

Car is mapped by AMD so will get them to fit the downpipe and do the updated map to stage 2.

My motorbike ran happily on a slip on exhaust, but when I fitted the full system (titanium headers, decat and the slip on) it bought up an error message. Whilst riding to the garage who was fitting the Power Commander box and running it on the dyno, it rode awful (I fitted the exhaust at home as I laughed at their labour charge for them to fit it). An hour at the garage, a remap and a dyno check later, no error messages. More importantly, the bike sounded better, rode better and weighed less. :biggrin:

Usually getting an engine light or an error message when you've touched the exhaust normally suggests the lambda sensor is throwing a wobbler. If you're changing the downpipes, I'd suggest getting a sports cat to go with it.

Cat back systems - no remap usually required

Headers / downpipes / catalytic converter changes - need a remap

Cat back systems don't get the fumes out from the engine any quicker. They're normally more aesthetically pleasing and sound better. Depending on what material the new pipes are made from, they can weigh less, but the majority of aftermarket car exhaust systems are 304 grade stainless steel. It's only if you start paying a daft amount (like my motorbike's exhaust) that you get titanium.

A wider and less restrictive header, downpipe and cat combo means those fumes get leave the car quicker. Potentially as well, it'll mean it will increase the turbo's efficiency, meaning more air is pushed into the cylinders. That's the theory any road. More air and a fueling tweak as we know, means a bigger bang and MORE POWER!!!! 

the vRS TDI is an awful engine to tune, head design and restrictions means the max you can get with stock parts and any remap is around 220, even with a bigger turbo, CP3 fuel pump, down pipe, DPF and EGR delete the figures will only go as far as 280ish max

14 hours ago, Chris245 said:

Evening all, thinking about adding the downpipe and an updated map however I have read that the Engine Management Light maybe activated.

Anyone who has a downpipe fitted, what was done to turn the light off?

Was it done as part as part of the remap or was it a VCD and coding job?

Car is mapped by AMD so will get them to fit the downpipe and do the updated map to stage 2.

If your car is already mapped then you wont get the EML.  You would only get the EML if you add a downpipe to a stock vehicle.

When AMD do the install they should sort that for you.

Can confirm you will likely get the EML (Emissions) light on with a downpipe and sports cat, regardless of map / no map. I've had mine on for a while now intermittently (with several garages switching it off via VCDS - then it comes back on a few days later) - in fact when we went for a drive in mine, it had the light on.

I had a remote session booked in with Ben @ Shark / Racingline, but after a few hours of fiddling he couldn't fix the issue. It requires them to delete the cat from the ECU, but as each model is delivered, the coding changes from box to box - so it requires more decryption & fiddling before it can be fixed. I am still to be booked in at Racingline in MK once they have their dyno up and running, and will be getting it fixed there.

The light in itself is not an issue. It will not put the car into limp mode or engine protection; you will just need to be more alert to any other issues which might similarly ping an EML light on the dash. But that's not the sort of thing to stop you getting the Go Louder bits :)