Fuel Flap stuck - help please

When I went to fill up the car earlier the fuel flap did not open when pressed. I plipped the locks a couple of times and it opened. However I have just tried it again at home and it refuses to work.

Of course it had to happen now. I am leaving on a long journey early tomorrow!

There's nothing in the handbook about an emergency release. I did find one thread on here where the poster was able to release the flap by pressing it in while cycling the locking. That did not work on mine.

So I would be very grateful for any suggestions on how to get it open, including using force, if necessary.

Many thanks.

This diagram is probably for a mk 1 but I think its similar for all Superbs

superb-62.png.6636e84f4644fbcee9103feecb89243d.png

Think you'll have to drop the rear seat and remove the side trim near or just to the rear of the flap, you should then be able to reach the solenoid/rod and pull it manually. Check the connector hasn't come off. Maybe unscrew the solenoid and remove for now.

Thanks xman.

I think the design is different on my car - the flap is rectangular for a start. Also I've never looked closely but I think the catch is a sort of plunger arrangement rather than the latch shown in your diagram.

Taking off the interior trim to access the solenoid is a good suggestion if only I could see how the heck to do that! The only fastener I can see is behind one of the hooks in the load cover track and it's one of those strange "star-headed" screws.

Now I'm out of time to do any more

I have discovered that I can twist the flap at the back upper corner so that the catch is visible. Worst case, I'll apply some muscle to it with a screwdriver!

Fingers crossed, it might decide to work next time. If it does I'll block the ctach and gaffer-tape it shut!

There's no access to the filler flap mechanism from inside the vehicle - the bits are between two metal pressings. I've checked.

Pressing it in while cycling the lock will open it, but the hard part is judging exactly how much to press it in. The solenoid mechanism can be dismantled and other users here have had success with cleaning up the internal parts and applying oil/grease judiciously. It's easily removed from outside the car.

Mine goes about 6 months between sticking closed.

A little gentle persuasion always opens it.

Once open I apply plenty of WD40 onto the plunger and then use my finger to repeatedly click it closed and open to work it in. It's then fine for a while again.

Success!!

After some pressing and clicking it finally popped open and I'll keep it from closing fully until I can try some WD40 or whatever and see how I get on - after my trip.

Thanks for all the helpful advice: much appreciated.

• Like 2