Flexible or fixed servicing?

Morning, as per previously mentioned my superb is 2.8yrs old and has only done 1050 miles.  It had an oil service at 14 months old with 182 recorded miles and a further service at 2yrs at 513 miles.

This car will now be used - probably 17 - 20000 miles per annum.

The info system is saying oil Service required in 8700 miles or 194 days and Inspection in 19400miles or 197 days.

Just wondering what service schedule I should be on : Fixed or Flexible  and which would be the preferred given the rather unusual current mileage for its age and the mileage I intend to do?

Thank you

Fixed Servicing / Annual or sooner unless you are doing some Servicing and Maintenance pre and post winter. Preventive Servicing & Maintenance.

Oil & Filter is just part of Servicing. Run a car for 2 years on Long Life oil if you want to.  I would not if it was my car.

MOT's are not the time to find out stuff needs doing.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

• Like 1

Wow - that's quite some change in usage! I also do those kinds of miles (25k+ per annum currently). A variable service programme works for me as it guarantees one oil change a year and stops the car being sat at the dealer 2 or 3 times a year. I always get them to do the inspection service at the same time.

• Like 1

Thanks skoffski and Jeff.

I will go with the variable service due to the miles and type of driving I'll be doing and as you say it guarantees an oil change every year. MOT due in July which shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers

• Like 1

You want that MOT done early & get a 13 month MOT just incase anything that might be a Warranty issue pops up.

Gives you time to get the car into a Dealership to have it approved & carried out if there is any.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Skoffski said:

You want that MOT done early & get a 13 month MOT just incase anything that might be a Warranty issue pops up.

First MOT is only valid 12 months from date of the test, regardless how early you submit it.

Only subsequent MOT tests can be done up to 1 month prior to expiry of an existing certificate.

38 minutes ago, BillyJim said:

First MOT is only valid 12 months from date of the test, regardless how early you submit it.

Only subsequent MOT tests can be done up to 1 month prior to expiry of an existing certificate.

That used to be the way things worked out, but I’m sure that changed before my wife’s August 2015 was due it’s first MOT last year.

EDit:- I have just checked the MOT checker site, for that car, first MOT’d 18th July, next MOT due 11th August.

Edited by rum4mo

My car was registered on the 5th March 2016, the MOT was carried out on the 6th February 2019 and the expiry date is the 4th March 2020 so you can get 13-months MOT on your 1st MOT. The earliest that I can present the car to retain the expiry date is the 5th February 2020.

• Thanks 1