Towing with a DSG 1.2tsi Fabia?

Having owned my 2011 Fabia 1.2tsi DSG in Elegance spec for 6.5 years, I am now considering going back to caravan holidays. I have a few of questions relating to this and my Fabia.

My documentation and rating plate on the vehicle all say that the Max permissible tow weight is 1200Kg. This rating however doesn't match any of the online matching services when looking for a caravan match. They all rate the cars towing max at 1000Kg, so thats a huge difference. So what should I do, assume that the car is up to the job and buy a caravan that weighs more than 1000Kg (max load)? I have seen a few that are at figures of 1079Kg and 1090KG that are of interest.

My second question:- Is it wise to even consider towing with the Fabia?

Lastly a question about retro fitting a tow ball, Are there removable swan neck tow balls available for the 2011 Fabia? I would rather have one of these so its not always visible while not towing. Is fitting a tow ball to an older vehicle risky? I've enjoyed 6 years of trouble free motoring and would disturbing the wiring and dissembling the rear Bumper create more chance of faults occurring?

To sum up, Would I be better leaving the car alone, selling it and buying a more suitable tow vehicle? Something that I really don't want to do as I love the car and haven't been so satisfied with a car for years.

Hi.

I have a 2010 Fabia 1.9tdi PD estate. The max towing weight is also given as 1200kg. My 2berth Lunar has a MTPLM of 1000kg and the car pulls this quite well although not as well as my previous 1.9tdi Zafira. The major consideration for me is the given max nose weight of only 50kg for the car. This requires some very careful loading of the van to not exceed this limit. I don't know the power output of your car, but I presume that the bhp could be similar to my diesel (105) but torque could be somewhat less, and this might be an issue.

Detachable swan neck tow bars are available although I recently had a fixed swan neck bar fitted. The integrity of the car is not compromised. My bar was fitted by one of the mobile fitters that are advertised, and was well done. £282 with single electrics.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Personally i would seriously consider if towing with a 8 year old DQ200 DSG is a good idea.

Did your car get the Service Campaign '34F7' from 2014, so the Oil changed from Synthetic to mineral oil & a software update?

How many miles has your car done?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

Personally i would seriously consider if towing with a 8 year old DQ200 DSG is a good idea.

Did your car get the Service Campaign '34F7' from 2014, so the Oil changed from Synthetic to mineral oil & a software update?

How many miles has your car done?

Yes I was concerned about the gearbox. My fabia is a manual but my Zafira was a 6 speed auto and it was excellent and trouble free.

Based on the rating plate of 1200 kg and using the recommended rule of 85% max MTPLM Maximum technically permissible laden mass that gives a recommended caravan max weight of 1020kg. Towing over 1200kg would be illegal and dangerous. Remember the caravan weight is fully laden, so work out how much you carry in the caravan including gas bottles, water etc and add that to the caravan weight.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/driving-advice/towing-capacity-how-to-work-it-out/

According to the RAC the advice is only very experienced caravan drivers should go over 85% MTPLM

The Fabia mk2 brakes aren't really up to the job of towing anything but a small trailer I would have thought.

The wear on DQ200 clutches during manoeuvring, hill starts etc could also be a costly issue. They are not not really designed with towing in mind and it would be easy to cook them.

Edited by xman
  • Like 2

I would have thought that the brake efficiency is one of the factors in calculating the maximum towing weight recommendation. I don't know if the brakes on an estate are different to the hatchback but I have no concerns at all about brake performance on my car.

• Like 1

I believe they work out towing weights by what the car can pull safely on a very steep hill start that is why land rover and other 4x4s  have a higher towing weight as you can start in low box and then change in to high box on the fly if you know what you are doing .

Brakes should make no difference as caravans have their own brake system so dont put a massive extra strain on the cars braking system.

• Haha 1

@Emaharg

Do you have discs at the rear or drums?

You will have a bit better engine braking with a diesel and manual box than you get downshifting a 7 speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG on a 1.2 TSI.

As to uphill, they tow, but Skin & Rice Pudding comes to mind.

Edited by Skoffski

1 hour ago, Skoffski said:

Sorry, that was for the OP in reply about a Fabia DSG.  Then there is the 1.2TSI possibly pre chain tensioner upgrade to think about.

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

Thank you for your words of being cautious. The reasons you have pointed out are exactly why I asked for advice. I have been nervous of trusting the numbers and taking into account the age of my car as well was another reason I have asked about this.

• Like 1

@4matt, i knew what brakes were on your car, they do as good a job as the discs on the rear of a MK2 vRS 180ps that could not have a tow bar fitted as not approved.

I had a Bike Rack Towbar / Ball fitted and moved the odd 'heavy trailer' on a 'private road obviously.'.

I would just be careful with your cars DSG. Maybe change cars, JIMO.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

@4matt, i knew what brakes were on your car, they do as good a job as the discs on the rear of a MK2 vRS 180ps that could not have a tow bar fitted as not approved.

I had a Bike Rack Towbar / Ball fitted and moved the odd 'heavy trailer' on a 'private road obviously.'.

I would just be careful with your cars DSG. Maybe change cars, JIMO.

Thank you so much for your help. You have been very helpful and I appreciate it greatly.

• Like 1

Total mass of the caravan (laden) should never exceed the total mass of the car.  As mentioned, exceeding the 85% rule would be really ill advised, plus, your 1.2 is really going to struggle on the hills, even more so if it isn't the 105bhp version.

The comment about low ratio gearboxes on gradients for 4x4 is incorrect, the Toe-rag has a 3.5t towing capacity.  

I wouldn't consider towing anything other than a small trailer or my bike rack with my 1.6 estate.

Edited by globalste