Alarm keeps going off any help appreciated

If the car is more than six years old, it is telling you that the battery inside the alarm is failing. You should either replace the alarm unit (not expensive from China or costly from Skoda) or, if you are experienced in mechanical and electrical work, replace the battery with a suitable but not identical type.

Search on here for alarm and you will find similar posts to yours and diy guides.

Can I suggest you add your car model, year and engine type or code to your signature to help others to help you with future questions.

And welcome to forum, one of the best.

As above, the battery inside the alarm unit will be dying. I replaced mine from one taken from passat (just search on ebay for the units serial number as they seem to have been used in dozens of different types of car).

So where is it & how do you get to it?

It's inside the drivers wheel arch, above the plastic wheel arch liner, bolted to the main car shell, almost in front of the upper drivers door hinge.

Jack the car up, take off the front wheel, remove the wheel arch liner (and many many screws that hold it in place), reach up toward the alarm and get to know what's up there by touch. I seem to recall having used a 10mm spanner to undo 1x nut, then bending back the alarm unit on a metal strip that the alarm is mounted onto. It thenslid off and I could then disconnect the wiring connector.

Replacement is, as Haynes say, the reverse.

Time = about 30 minutes.

£ = around £15.

• Thanks 1

Note the difference between the posting text and the title, "keeps going off" and "just went off during a storm"

Yes high winds may set the alarm off especially if a window is slightly open.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Note the difference between the posting text and the title, "keeps going off" and "just went off during a storm"

Yes high winds may set the alarm off especially if a window is slightly open.

The window wasant open but read a few threads on this forum & it might be the bonnet or boot

5 hours ago, Sue2019 said:

Any advice my 2011 Skoda Octavia estate alarm just started going off but was so stormy last night would that make any difference 

Last year when the weather was very hot our alarm kept going off even at night. Saw on here about the battery so went to Skoda and they adusted the sensor and it has not been on since. At the time they said spiders can do it.

• Thanks 1

It could be as simple as a fly or spider setting it off. Also check you don't have something hanging from the coat hooks, grab handles or rear view mirror that has set the interior alarm off. 

Next time the alarm goes off check if the buzzer sounds when you open the door and lights are on. This might sound strange but if the micro switch in the door lock mechanism gets old/ dirty or wet it can cause the alarm to go off as it doesn’t sense the door is shut/open correctly 

2 hours ago, BushcraftChris said:

99% it's the battery in the alarm unit. Happened to mine. Happened to my neighbours Volvo.

Thanks for advice will get it checked just not locking the car for now, mechanic is coming to check the car for me. 

Thanks chris 

5 hours ago, Hmmbutterscotch said:

Next time the alarm goes off check if the buzzer sounds when you open the door and lights are on. This might sound strange but if the micro switch in the door lock mechanism gets old/ dirty or wet it can cause the alarm to go off as it doesn’t sense the door is shut/open correctly 

5 hours ago, Sue2019 said:

Thanks for ur help

will check that tomorrow. Really appreciate all advice & help

Mine does this occasionally so I give it a good spay/soak with Wd40. Get in everywhere you can get in and in the hole above and open and close the door repeatedly to work it in to the lock.