Strut removal

Hi guys. I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me out. I'm in the process of removing the front drivers suspension strut. I have the hub already removed but I'm have problems with the 3 bolts on the top.  The bolts are just spinning instead of loosening. I've tried to get in up the back to try to hold the nut but I'm unable to get into them properly. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get these bolts out. 

Thanks 

I am not sure on octavias specifically, but sounds like the bolt is spinning in the top mount (normally due to them being done up to tight before if they are life others and moulded in the top mount), meaning new top mounts will be needed,

So i think your only option would be to cut them off.

This is only opinion from previous cars, i am not 100% in the bold it moulded or not in the top mount, 

Or if it is a bolt head inside the wheel arche side, lots of extension bars?

12 minutes ago, pistoltpete said:

Or if it is a bolt head inside the wheel arche side, lots of extension bars?

There are nuts on the end of the bolts in the inside. I just wasn't able to get good enough a grip on them. I was hoping I was maybe missing a trick or something. 

I think the others have already answered your question in cutting the bolt heads off and replacing the top bearing, which is always worth doing at the same time if your removing the struts. 

I would recommend replacing the pinch bolt that clamps the strut into the hub. They are a stretch bolt and not designed to be reused. I found out the hard way. 

Edited by CWARD

Might be safer for the surrounding metalwork to try to drill the heads off.  Centre punch right in the middle, then progress up to a 9mm bit, holding the outside of the boltheads with a spanner if they start to spin with the drill bit?

I've had experience with this and vice grips were unable to grip the nuts sufficiently on the underside of the top mount, the nuts are just tack welded on.

Access is the problem, working topside I had to hold the bolt head secure with self locking grips and use a mini hacksaw blade gripped in another pair of locking grips to cut through the bolt, a reciprocating tool would be easier.

I used a suitable nut and bolt on reassembly.

Thanks for all the ideas. I was eventually able to get through the bolt heads with a mixture of junior hacksaw blades, a ginder and brute force.  Just need to remove the old track rod end then I can start to build it all back up with new parts. 

• Like 2