Is Karoq the right choice?

sthodgson

1 minute ago, silver1011 said:

The software fix / update has been released so you'd imagine all factory orders / builds will be sorted.

Assuming the fix works?

Again, I refer readers of this thread to the (now) 72 page thread about the 1.5tsi. The 'fix' was released last Wednesday (27th March) ............... and withdrawn the next day. Unless the engineers have come up with a winner over the weekend, then there ain't no fix. 

On 28/03/2019 at 10:19, TonyTonic said:

It might not, call SEAT Westfield or LAkeside, they are direct sellers of SEATs and will have already been briefed on the deals for Q2.

Tell the straight, I am buying a Skoda or a SEAT but am liking the 0%, however I can't come this weekend to order a car, can yo tell me if the0% will continue next quarter

Thanks for the info on this. I called them, they have the exact car I wanted in stock - MY19 (access to more stock than dealer), matched the price and gave me a hint that there might be a £250 voucher on the SEAT website. After filling in a survey up popped the voucher. Better price on px too. 

Oh, and they said the 0% deal was finishing. 

Edited by sthodgson

1 hour ago, sthodgson said:

Thanks for the info on this. I called them, they have the exact car I wanted in stock - MY19 (access to more stock than dealer), matched the price and gave me a hint that there might be a £250 voucher on the SEAT website. After filling in a survey up popped the voucher. Better price on px too. 

DID you get it on the 0% then?

21 minutes ago, sthodgson said:

Yep, got 0%. Don't get as much off list price, but can happily spread it over a longer period.

Should be yours in a week If they have stock. 

Bet you can’t Wait. 

We did order from westfield. You?

On 31/03/2019 at 10:32, StEdmund said:

Again, I refer readers of this thread to the (now) 72 page thread about the 1.5tsi. The 'fix' was released last Wednesday (27th March) ............... and withdrawn the next day. Unless the engineers have come up with a winner over the weekend, then there ain't no fix. 

This is all getting confusing, will see if there is an update at the Skoda retailer when I take the car in to get a new lock fitted on Wednesday.

On 31/03/2019 at 11:54, sthodgson said:

Great choice, you won't be disappointed with the Ateca. It is quite a contrast coming from a Volvo, but if you like driving I am sure you will realise pretty soon that it is a special car. I am so glad I have chosen it.  

1 hour ago, Apprentice said:

This is all getting confusing, will see if there is an update at the Skoda retailer when I take the car in to get a new lock fitted on Wednesday.

It would appear that there are different fixes for different VIN numbers. Does this fill me with confidence?

17 hours ago, StEdmund said:

It would appear that there are different fixes for different VIN numbers. Does this fill me with confidence?

This thread is very odd....we have quotes from people who dont appear to be even writing on this particular thread ( Rankaclank) as well as a brief sojourn into SEAT land.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the input. Started off as a Skoda thread and ended up going over to SEAT. Well, they are both made in the same Skoda factory. We are getting an Ateca I'm afraid, and I couldn't possibly say which engine due to looking foolish, but it not a diesel and and it has DSG. We shall see how it goes, but at least there is a warranty, for what it's worth. First time venturing into a new car and I'm not 100% convinced it is the right thing to do, but we need to change and the deal is good.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a Karoq's not going to be the replacement for our Yeti despite it looking like the favourite initially.

The issues around the 1.5 TSI forced me to consider alternatives with the Volvo XC 40 looking like a good bet. Someone posted that they thought it a bit cramped in the front, which at 6'1", was a concern for me. So a trip to the dealer this morning to check this out and happy to find that there is plenty of room in the front and rear. The boot is big (though the slope of the rear affects this) and the seats fold flat.

In addition to this I can have a 2.0 petrol (190 hp) with 2WD (which is my preference) and don't have to have a panoramic roof to get that engine. Only minor negative for me is the look of the air vents but I can live with that.

Ok, they are not cheap, but neither is a specced up Karoq SE L. And despite selling well a factory order can be had in June.

So subject to a test drive it's looking like a change to Volvo. 

Just as a note, I'm moving from a Volvo to a Skoda, and you really need to keep an eye on the options that you get with the car. In my experience, Volvo require almost anything added on as an expensive option. Also, service costs are very high. a small service is 300 and large around 500 for Volvo. As i'm led to believe it's at least half the price for Skoda. That would be averagely a 400GBP extra per year for services alone! But if it makes more sense, then it makes more sense.

I have no doubt the 1.5 TSI engine issues can be fixed within the parameters of the ECU, so i'm not too worried, especially after seeing more recent posts here on the issue fix.

4 hours ago, kerbero5 said:

Just as a note, I'm moving from a Volvo to a Skoda, and you really need to keep an eye on the options that you get with the car. In my experience, Volvo require almost anything added on as an expensive option. Also, service costs are very high. a small service is 300 and large around 500 for Volvo. As i'm led to believe it's at least half the price for Skoda. That would be averagely a 400GBP extra per year for services alone! But if it makes more sense, then it makes more sense.

I have no doubt the 1.5 TSI engine issues can be fixed within the parameters of the ECU, so i'm not too worried, especially after seeing more recent posts here on the issue fix.

Don't know about other Volvos but the XC 40 seems to be pretty well specced and even the lowest spec is good and shares equipment with the more expensive trims e.g. the same sat nav is common across all trim levels. The options are more about adding luxury and tech if required rather than having things that are better than the lower trim levels if that makes sense.

I started looking at the bottom spec and adding a few extras but will probably go for a higher spec which pretty much covers everything that I want. Take your point about servicing but in the scheme of things it doesn't really bother me, especially as my wife's car will be going now that I've retired and we don't need three cars, so we will save that just on insurance and servicing. The XC 40 just ticks more boxes for what I want rather than what the importer says I want! For example I can have a more powerful engine without 4WD. I just get so frustrated with Skoda and the rest of VWG not allowing me, within reason, to have what I want without having to pay for what I don't want or even not being able to have what I want at all because that is what Skoda UK has decided upon.

Unfortunately I don't share your optimism as regards the fix for the 1.5 TSI as results so far seem a bit mixed and to be honest the more I read (1.5 and previous engine and DSG issues and emissions fixes etc.) the more disillusioned I've become with VWG, their treatment (via Skoda UK and dealers) of customers/warranty claims and don't really want to buy another car from them for the foreseeable future.  As I've said before I've owned many VWs and Audis as well as the Yeti and it is with reluctance that I'm looking elsewhere. I won't be leaving the fold completely though as I have the TT.

No guarantee of course that everything will be rosy in the Volvo garden, as owners do report a few problems, but feel that the time has come to go elsewhere with less of a risk.

Edited by VAGCF
  • Like 1