Is Karoq the right choice?

sthodgson

3 minutes ago, sthodgson said:

Thanks. We won't be going for a NAV option - Apple link and google maps, so solves that problem. I've got 2 days to decide - I don't like pressure!

I've ordered a Tarraco and have build week 15 allocated so in two weeks time. It's a bloody lovely car! And I think you can get it for the same monthlies as a Karoq but you get a Kodaiq sized car. 0% vs 5.5% APR makes a big difference (unless of course you have the cash and want to pay off the loan with the 14 days cooling off period and keep all the incentives and money off (which is more generous with Skoda))

Edited by TonyTonic

1 hour ago, MJ1 said:

Another minor consideration is Sat Nav updates, Skoda give you free updates but SEAT did not for my wife's LEON, not sure if that is still the case. Not an issue if you use Google Maps etc but maybe a factor to note....

I was told for the Tarraco that I will receive updates at the service for three years during the warranty and then for a small fee.

Hi make sure they actually update it when you get it serviced.

It's not the end of the world issue but has annoyed me enough to make sure we know what the score is with Sat Nav updates. I had assumed that updates would be freely available via download, a naïve assumption to have made...

• Thanks 1

Well, I can't find a deal that beats the one at SEAT. We test drove one on Sunday and it's an interesting comparison to the "identical" Karoq. The roads were different but the ride was definitely firmer on the Ateca, although we tested one on the silly 18" wheels, and would get one with the slightly less ridiculous 17" wheels. I preferred the ride on the Karoq if I'm honest. The steering was a little sharper - possible higher geared - and coming from a Volvo boat felt a bit twitchy. I preferred the Karoq steering to be fair.

But, these details were not a huge deal and I get used to things quickly, and certainly not enough to make the £50 a month difference. It also has drive modes and flappy paddles, which is just space age to me, but probably a bit of a gimmick. Looks like I'm going for SEAT and my third Skoda will have to wait.

The £50 a month difference is probably partly due to the anticipated Depreciation difference. The Skoda is expected to hold its value slightly better than the SEAT. Also Skoda are charging higher interest rates on Karoq vs its other cars probably because Karoq is in such high demand so they charge what the market will bear.

@sthodgson

There might well be suspension differences, then the difference in Wheel / Tyre sizes,  but before road testing a car at a Skoda or SEAT dealership or anyplace i would be checking and setting the tyre pressures on a car.  Some demonstrators and even 'the management car' that they let you borrow can have ridiculous tyre pressures as they sit at a dealership.

That can be unsafely high or low.

30 minutes ago, Breezy said:

The £50 a month difference is probably partly due to the anticipated Depreciation difference. The Skoda is expected to hold its value slightly better than the SEAT. Also Skoda are charging higher interest rates on Karoq vs its other cars probably because Karoq is in such high demand so they charge what the market will bear.

I would have thought if the Karoq held it's value better then the total cost would be less over the term, so lower monthlies? If the Ateca will lose more value but is still £50 cheaper a month (that's about 20 percent less a month), then it sounds quite good to me. I could be wrong, probably am.

3 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

@sthodgson

There might well be suspension differences, then the difference in Wheel / Tyre sizes,  but before road testing a car at a Skoda or SEAT dealership or anyplace i would be checking and setting the tyre pressures on a car.  Some demonstrators and even 'the management car' that they let you borrow can have ridiculous tyre pressures as they sit at a dealership.

That can be unsafely high or low.

I didn't check the pressures but all the press say the Ateca has a firmer ride. I'm still not sure why family cars have 18" or bigger wheels, even 17" seems a bit silly. I'd prefer a 15" or 16" with much larger profile tyres, but I guess I'm used to our XC90 that lollops down the road like a floppy dog.

All the press does say that.  Press / Media / Customers listen, it can be true for some.

Go to Press / Media and even Dealership launches, and watch the Motoring Journalists drive what they are given.

Never check tyre pressures, set them, and drive the car with no idea what fuel is in, like 95 ron or 99 ron or 102 ron petrol.

Take it with a pinch of salt.

Check tyre pressures, set as you need, and borrow a car for a day or a few days, not a short loan of a few hours.

Dealers can do that. 

Full Board, free travel and get in and drive. Never question that the cars are warmed up if they are... Like happened with Audi Oil Burners, 

or those that might be sluggish when cold.

Nice tests around Barcelona or the likes. Maybe a left hand drive car.

Never take the car to the nearest Public Weigh Bridge and then question the Media Pack, Specs, weights etc.

I pay attention to Bob Flavin reviews when he drives cars for a few days.

& i make my own decisions when i drive them for a few days.

Edited by Skoffski

When we test drove the Ateca (2 day test drive of 2.0 TSi 4x4 DSG) in early 2018 we found the suspension to be very hard. I did set try setting the tyre pressures but to no avail. We concluded the Ateca was too hard on the road to travel our lane to the village daily and opted to wait (and pay a bit more per month) for a Karoq. The ride is much better over a bumpy road.

YMMV

4 minutes ago, Luckypants said:

When we test drove the Ateca (2 day test drive of 2.0 TSi 4x4 DSG) in early 2018 we found the suspension to be very hard. I did set try setting the tyre pressures but to no avail. We concluded the Ateca was too hard on the road to travel our lane to the village daily and opted to wait (and pay a bit more per month) for a Karoq. The ride is much better over a bumpy road.

YMMV

What size wheels did that have? Sounds like a top of the range so would probably have had 19" pram wheels?

Skoda holds 44.6% of value over 4 years, the SEAT 42.8%, a 1.8% difference. Not much in it but interesting. How does that translate to monthly payments?

Edited by sthodgson

@Luckypants  What wheels / tyres was that Ateca on?

SEAT as Skoda do fit some pretty inappropriate Wheels & Tyres to what is supposed to be a SUV, OEM Tyre sizes that when you want Winter or actual All Weather tyres rather than the crap fitted are very limited in availability.

A Seat Arona is just a tall hatch back, and can ride quite nicely, but with the wrong tyres it can be rather crap / harsh / crashy on poor roads.

Many driving good roads will not bother though, and maybe consider the handling as sporty.

DSCN3585.JPG.0b0daee360066ef2bbd307d86ae892a5.JPG.70fa9940bd27b34fddb544fe57da09d9.JPG

Edited by Skoffski

6 minutes ago, sthodgson said:

What size wheels did that have? Sounds like a top of the range so would probably have had 19" pram wheels?

Skoda holds 44.6% of value over 4 years, the SEAT 42.8%, a 1.8% difference. Not much in it but interesting. How does that translate to monthly payments?

Honestly do not remember. Yes it was a pretty high spec. Ateca, so likely 19" wheels. There is an awkward uphill junction near us that I use to test 'axle articulation' (suspension travel) and the AWD system, the Ateca lifted a tyre due to the stiff suspension and we had wheels slip, a 2WD version would have spun a wheel. My old X-Trail coped easily as does the Karoq - no doubt in my mind that the Ateca has stiffer suspension. 

But when you are on the limit on an off-camber corner, in the wet, with your family in the back, channelling Alonso, you'll be glad of that extra bit of "sportiness". 

Not sure what to do now. Can I live with it for 4 years? It wasn't that bad, but...

Really on a tight budget and I'm putting myself under pressure as the deal runs out tomorrow. 

Ateca 1.5 petrol SE DSG

Skoda is more expensive even for the 1.0 SE DSG.

It's all well and good getting a big discount on the list price, but we can't afford to "buy" the car. The deals tend to have a higher percentage when you get a bigger discount, so it works out very similar, but the 0% can be stretched a little longer without paying more.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, sthodgson said:

Really on a tight budget and I'm putting myself under pressure as the deal runs out tomorrow. 

It might not, call SEAT Westfield or LAkeside, they are direct sellers of SEATs and will have already been briefed on the deals for Q2.

Tell the straight, I am buying a Skoda or a SEAT but am liking the 0%, however I can't come this weekend to order a car, can yo tell me if the0% will continue next quarter

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sthodgson said:

I would have thought if the Karoq held it's value better then the total cost would be less over the term, so lower monthlies? If the Ateca will lose more value but is still £50 cheaper a month (that's about 20 percent less a month), then it sounds quite good to me. I could be wrong, probably am.

no....its me thats wrong. Brain fuddle....I blame Brexit.:biggrin:

3 hours ago, Skoffski said:

@sthodgson

I prefer the Ateca over the Karoq.

I had 2 different 68 plate 1.5TSI DSG to drive for a few days last month. Neither had issues.

I like both but the Skoda won due to slighly better boot and flexible seating. Also, one look at the SEAT satnav display. Its pretty low res compared to the Karoq.

Having now had the Karoq for several months the 1.5 and DSG is still giving silky smooth performance.

Edited by Breezy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Breezy said:

That's right, hold value better means lower monthlies over an equal term when compared to another car that holds its value less. But the high interest rate may make it more expensive per month compared 0%

What figures are people getting for the baloon payment for Ateca vs Karoq after 48 months, should be in the region of 9-11k?

You probably find that Seat is doing 0% this month - but no deposit contribution or free servicing

But  Skoda has 7% interest rate but a 7% deposit contribution and 2 free services.

In addition you may get a better discount from the dealer when they are not running 0% finance off the car.

Then in 3 months time the offers will swap and Skoda will do the 0% and Seat the deposit contribution.

Probably not much in it one way or other.

We bought the Karoq Edition 2.0 DSG 4x4  this week - and got £3000 off the car - then £1950 deposit allowance and 2 free services.... then if I wanted in 1 months time I could refinance the balance with bank at 3%..... so getting all the savings with only half the interest..

Edited by SimonAudi
typo

On 28/03/2019 at 09:38, sthodgson said:

But when you are on the limit on an off-camber corner, in the wet, with your family in the back, channelling Alonso, you'll be glad of that extra bit of "sportiness". 

Not sure what to do now. Can I live with it for 4 years? It wasn't that bad, but...

have you run quotes via carwow?

i too looked at Seat Ateca when was choosing in 2017 but their petrol models were on 6-8 months lead time, then i looked at high spec Karoq and price was about the same but it had more features in Karoq!

Switching between BMW 3 Series and Karoq weekly i find Karoq suspension setup brilliant, it not firm (19" alloys) and yet it does manage to stay planted on the road under heavy turning, you almost dont feel the roll, its very surprising for such car.

I am not sure if this anymore true but also Karoq had better quality interior and softer materials used in it.

Edited by vadimo

Anyone who has read the evidence against the current VAG 1.5tsi evo engine .......... and then goes out and buys one (even with dsg) ....... must be bonkers, absolutely bonkers.

4 minutes ago, StEdmund said:

Anyone who has read the evidence against the current VAG 1.5tsi evo engine .......... and then goes out and buys one (even with dsg) ....... must be bonkers, absolutely bonkers.

Like what ?