InCar Wifi.

mdk1

Why not just tether to your phone?

As a piece of kit I'm sure it will be fine, Huawei stuff is functionally good enough.

I use Mobile WiFi (MiFi) at home using a wireless dongle and IMO using a MiFi would be a better option in the car too.

I see the idea but unless it turns on and off automatically it is basically a MiFi within a bigger housing. It just plugs in directly rather than using a cable (if battery runs out)  for the MiFi, but then you can put this where you like.

Less bulky / intrusive than the cig lighter thing, and easily fits in your pocket if you need / want.

The comment about strong WiFi signal is dependent on the separate sim rather than the unit itself.

I tried 'tethering' to my phone but the darn string kept breaking. :giggle:

• 3 months later...
On 24/03/2019 at 21:43, mdk1 said:

Has anyone had any experience of In Car Wifi?

previously had a Vauxhall with built in wifi which was very useful, possibly thinking of getting one of these,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei.....

Just wondering if it's any good, or what else is better?

Just wondering if you ever got one and how it worked out for you?

Wondering about these myself. I would be considering using a 12v socket in my boot though, not in the cabin. Primarily interested for increased functionality of dashcam. 

I wonder would it drain the battery much...

1 minute ago, Otto_Octavius said:

Just wondering if you ever got one and how it worked out for you?

Wondering about these myself. I would be considering using a 12v socket in my boot though, not in the cabin. Primarily interested for increased functionality of dashcam. 

I wonder would it drain the battery much...

No, didn't get round to buying one, found it easier updating phone data for a journey.

• Thanks 1

I have this very unit in the boot socket of my Yeti, I loaded a 30Gb Three simcard into it and just plug it in. It stays there all the time, but self powers off after an indeterminate time (I've not checked to see how long this time is). Once powered off you need to press the button again to turn it on, but I've heard some people wedge a piece of plastic in to hold the button in the on position.

I prefer this option to using my phone data, as it's more convenient for sending emails from my laptop. Simply log onto the wifi once, remember the network, press the button to turn it on start of the day, and all day I send emails (invoices for daily jobs completed) without having to muck about any more.

Battery drain wouldn't appear to be an issue as it self powers off.

• Thanks 1

On 14/07/2019 at 11:24, Rustynuts said:

I have this very unit in the boot socket of my Yeti, I loaded a 30Gb Three simcard into it and just plug it in. It stays there all the time, but self powers off after an indeterminate time (I've not checked to see how long this time is). Once powered off you need to press the button again to turn it on, but I've heard some people wedge a piece of plastic in to hold the button in the on position.

I prefer this option to using my phone data, as it's more convenient for sending emails from my laptop. Simply log onto the wifi once, remember the network, press the button to turn it on start of the day, and all day I send emails (invoices for daily jobs completed) without having to muck about any more.

Battery drain wouldn't appear to be an issue as it self powers off.

Awesome, thanks - ordered one yesterday (and a prepay mobile broadband sim).

I intend to throw it in the boot too. Interesting that it turns itself off though, had assumed it would stay on constantly as understand that 12v is a permanent on.

Will have to look into this 'wedge' solution though, as a bit confusing without having the device to hand. My understanding was it's powered on by the button on the top, so unsure how you might wedge that.

Cheers.