Green Fluid Leak

HI All,

Ive just had new tyres put on the car and when the wheel was off on the passenger front side there was a considerable leak (lots of dripping) of green fluid.

Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be?

Car is a Skoda Superb Mk 1, 1.9 TDI, AWX Engine, Manual

The coolant is G12 which is red\orange so I am sure it is not that but not sure what else it could be?

Could it be the manual gearbox oil?

Thanks,

Ben

Edited by Ben12345

Did you do a touch/smell test i.e. did it feel oily or wartery? Did it smell of engine oil, gearbox oil, antifreeze or screenwash. Is you screenwash green?

I'd lift the lid on the plenum chamber in front of the windscreen - I suspect it might be/have been full of water and the jacking up of the car disturbed this and some drained off. The Superb mkI is known for this as the drain points block with leaves etc. After a while this water could turn green! If wet this needs sorting as it can leak into the car (see pinned post – are the carpets wet?) and/or also eventually destroy the brake servo.

What does the fluid feel like/ smell of? Windscreen washer fluid,  power steering fluid, manual gearbox oil and engine oil is not normally green.

PS This thread is duplicated in the Superb II section

PPS https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/152490-water-ingress-problemsolved/

Edited by bigjohn

Thanks everyone for your input.

I think it is actually the coolant as it has been going down quicker than it used to by some way and there is a line of liquid along the bottom of the undersie of the radiator which drips a lot.

The green colour was because I added UV dye to it to see where the leak was coming from when it was small but now in the last few days it has been getting bad so Ive been topping up with deionised water (as dont want to mix coolant types however I dont think there is much coolant in there now).

It is going into the garage but looking at the radiator there is a drip coming from there and the two large pipes at the bottom of the radiator (in and out?) are weeping on the clips and the pipes look distorted and old..

Does this car have two radiators as it looks like it does, an internal and external one?

I assume its best on a 14 year old car to get both replaced?

Thanks Again,

Ben

On 03/04/2019 at 22:23, Ben12345 said:

Does this car have two radiators as it looks like it does, an internal and external one?

I assume its best on a 14 year old car to get both replaced?

You didn't mention the green dye in the original post !

It should only have one coolant radiator (large hoses - ensure you replace spring clips and o rings as well as the rad)

Compare the new rad carefully compared to the old - I've know some variations in mount points etc. Give it a treat to some new coolant whilst you are at it.  Myself I also did some rustproofing as some bits that you normally can't get at looked a bit crispy and it was easy to do whilst in bits.

There will also be and air con condenser and turbo intercooler both of which look like a radiator.

It's a bumper off job (not too bad to do) - if cam belt is nearly due , get it done complete with a new water pump at the same time as once the bumper and radiator(s) are swung out of the way it's a really easy job.

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 2