Coilovers or H&R springs

Is anyone running coilovers and how you finding it? I want to lower my car as it resembles a tractor but don't want to ruin the ride. I'm looking at the h&r springs with racingline shocks for comfort wise but I'm also considering AP coilovers for the extra lows. What are peoples thoughts or experiences. 

15 hours ago, B.DIFFERENT said:

Well I love how johnnytype2 car sits and that's with a 40mm drop on h&r springs. My only concern is that I've got some 20s that might make it look a little high.

I dont think i would have an issue with a bigger wheel, there's someone on here with Bentley 20s and a -40mm drop, im pretty happy with the look i have and no issues with rubbing etc even on the worst roads. I wouldn't want to go too low especially if i was driving though snow...

• 1 month later...
On 08/04/2019 at 13:53, Damian@DPM said:

All depends how low you're wanting to go really? The fact you're considering coilovers makes me think lowering springs aren't going to be low enough for you.

Damian @ DPM Performance 

Hello, 

I would like to have minimal drop (max 20mm) from stock suspension just to look better, but improved handling and more comfort than stock.What would be the right choice? 

After all net searching I don't have clear conclusion, something like KW street comfort? 

The car is Octavia IIIFL 1.8tsi hatch. 

Speaking of experience, I love the low look, but after having a slammed Saab here in Finland, I wouldn't do it again.

- Rubbed everywhere, namely a ramp for the local supermarket parking that forced me to use a back road for the alternative entrance

- In winter, with snow, I nicknamed it "the snow plough" and it would literally leave a flat trail as I drove by

- it all ended when I hit a chunk of ice that had dropped from a truck that took out the lower splitter, along with the windshield washer tank, hoses, fog lights cabling and the lower part of the bumper.

Never again :)

3 hours ago, Esseesse200 said:

This was mine when I had it on H&R and I now have a superb which I have just done H&R today 

2F22474F-B91A-442E-8AD0-738F5E09DEA1.jpeg

A2BD56E7-43C3-48F1-905C-31EADD33615A.jpeg

Great, how much this is lower than stock, looks like min 40mm?

Springs on the Vrs octy were 40mm which makes the vrs avout 25-30mm lower than standard 

and the ones for the superb are 35mm down on standard which makes the storyline 25mm lower than standard. I find they are stiffer without a doubt obviously but never found them uncomfortable. Even fully loaded  

There is one general truth:

coilover is the only proper way to lower your car.

Why is that? Shorter spring reduces useful movement of suspension, while coilover does not. It moves complete movement of the suspension proportionally.

That does not mean springs are crap, I had Pro Kit on my last car and was very pleased with the overall outcome, but it important to be aware of the facts. Coilovers are expensive, springs are cheap, and both actually work - but you get what you pay for.

Edited by nidza

13 hours ago, nidza said:

There is one general truth:

coilover is the only proper way to lower your car.

Why is that? Shorter spring reduces useful movement of suspension, while coilover does not. It moves complete movement of the suspension proportionally.

That does not mean springs are crap, I had Pro Kit on my last car and was very pleased with the overall outcome, but it important to be aware of the facts. Coilovers are expensive, springs are cheap, and both actually work - but you get what you pay for.

Agree entirely and most good spring manufacturers will not recommend springs more than 40mm to be used with standard shocks. However some coilovers are cheap and you do get what you pay for lol. There are shocks out there that you can fit that will work in conjunction with lowered springs. Bilstein B8 for example. But by the time you brought thiosr and some good springs you could have brought some real decent coil overs 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Yes, I finally installed KW street comforts, now I have problem with headlights, i found that the garage broke the lever of rear leveling sensor which I still have to replace, but is there also sensor on front suspension? Octavia FL with LED headlights. 

I'm still busy with this problem, just to warn everybody before lowering car, O3FL with LED headlamps has leveling sensors on front and rear suspension, the linkage on them is made of plastic and very easy to damage, new sensor price is approx. 200£, these days I will post some pictures.

22 hours ago, FrankLK said:

I'm still busy with this problem, just to warn everybody before lowering car, O3FL with LED headlamps has leveling sensors on front and rear suspension, the linkage on them is made of plastic and very easy to damage, new sensor price is approx. 200£, these days I will post some pictures.

They broke it not because it is easy to break but because they should have disconnected it to lever down the bottom arm to get the old spring out. They should be paying for a replacement for you. 

Correct, it must be disconnected before any kind of job on rear suspension, my car has only rear sensor but it is possible depending on car equipment that it has front sensor also. 

IMG-20191127-082450.jpg

Edited by FrankLK

Btw, can somebody also add what other functions can be influenced by car lowering, I had to readjust headlamps but in the same week it was replaced and readjusted anyway. 

Functions like: line assist, radar cruise control, light assist, blind spot monitor, brake bias etc, etc....

Really the car needs to be re calibrated for adas if it's got radar cruise as any adjustments can throw it out. Even unplugging the parking sensors you should recalibrate. Was really surprised when told about the parking sensors but made sense when he told us it all works together with the radar.

I don't have it but I think people should be warned about additional cost's and malfunctions after lowering. The car settled and I had to raise it and do several geometry adjustments. Btw is weight/corner balansing necessary because in my country garage's don't have it. 

Still busy with it but this is the difference:

IMG-20191117-WA0014.jpg

Edited by FrankLK

Today I realised that blind spot monitoring does't work with no warning, actually it switched off by itself, switch it on and for now it is working. Also something that happened after lowering. 

For now I find coilovers are more comfy than stock what was the goal I was aiming and handling is superb comparing to stock which was the biggest dissapointment when I get the car.