Engine question

My skoda Fabia 1.2 TSI 2011 Timing chain slipped and valves need replacing. I was thinking of changing the engine, but need some advice about if I was to put a newer year in what would have changed and if it would be possible.  The engine type is CBZA type will I have to change the same, with the same. Or could I put a slightly newer 2012 in place.

Have you found available engines.  Engines and ECU's?

What is the point of a like for like engine, maybe one that will not be any batter?

?

Is an engine rebuild and the upgraded kit not an option?

Edited by Skoffski

What does the upgrade kit consist of please could you explain, I was thinking it would be an idea to go with a newer engine to rectify the issue affecting this year engine 2011. But maybe the upgrade would be a easier option. The chain could have slipped on the engine I have now. All valves bent don't know how many yet. 

It rattled like a Tractor for months  not knowing it was this chain. 

Not sure it's the pump that's got blocked. Was a cold morning when it struddles to start. With an orange light on dash.  Just need to know what to replace to eradicate the issue coming back.

Thank you

Timing kit consists of a revised design chain, guides, sprockets, tensioner, bolts, shim all of which need to be replaced as different design

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/03f198229a-timing-set-1-2tsi-63kw-77kw-skoda-25113.html

Rather than rebuild the top end you can get a complete new genuine Skoda cylinder head, less hassle.....you'll also need gaskets for head, manifolds etc, bolts etc 

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/03f103351a-cylinder-head-oe-20332.html

Thank you Xman, think this will be the best option swapping the head. Would you know if there is a puller to get the pully gear off. Anything special to know about? There is no way I am paying 1300 for it to be done by a garage. 

Thanks for the information 

Sorry, my days of stripping engines and rebuilding is a distant memory when things were much simpler.

What is the £1300 you quoted for? To rebuild the engine that would be a good price (inc parts)

If you buy an hours access to https://erwin.skoda-auto.cz/erwin/showHome.do at €8 you can download all the official workshop information specific to your VIN. I do know some special tools are required, e.g. to lock the camshaft, crank and to fit and tighten the camshaft sprocket at least.

Probably the best place to start so you can get a feel for the task(s), make a potential list of jobs/steps and get a parts list compiled, e.g. head bolts, gaskets etc.

You will also require some advanced diagnostic tool to set the basic settings once reassembled.

Then you need to pop off the timing cover and stripdown to confirm what damage, maybe a borescope to look in the cylinders before you decide to strip the head.

It could be a lot less damage or a lot more damage than you imagine.

It may pay to shop around Skoda dealers for quotes, what I do is get to know exactly what I want doing, then try my job list with an independent to get a target price. Then approach the dealer with the same, ask for the full job in parts/labour breakdown. Checking parts price against own supply price.

Last 2 major jobs, Skoda came in very competitive, plus you get the two year unlimited mileage Skoda parts and labour warranty if they supply or you source genuine Skoda parts (check)

Coming into May/June, Skoda workshops will be quiet so may be easier to negotiate a price.

Other places to check for parts prices

Your local TPS 

http://theskodashop.co.uk (Skoda Dennis Horton, Lincoln) ring and ask for theskodashop guy he'll whip up a parts list for your VIN and give a good price.

Same with our Briskoda sponsor parts supplier (Skoda Lister's), https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/370343-briskoda-parts-genuine-skoda-dealer-parts-other-marques/?tab=comments#comment-4368932

Of course an alternative may be to buy a complete engine from fleabay or a local scrapyard and swap. Maybe from an accident write off car.

Edited by xman

• 3 weeks later...

Just took the Head off, and all valves bent. Can I ask what Valve Clamp tool would I be looking for. Any links to a decent one would be appreciated.  Thanks

I thought that the best plan, when dealing with this issue on an earlier engine, was to buy a “B” version repair kit AND a new crankshaft sprocket, ie the one for the later engine and so allows you to fit the best repair kit, and a revised chain cover?

3 hours ago, rum4mo said:

I thought that the best plan, when dealing with this issue on an earlier engine, was to buy a “B” version repair kit AND a new crankshaft sprocket, ie the one for the later engine and so allows you to fit the best repair kit, and a revised chain cover?

I have bought the Replacement Chain Kit that Xman posted. So I will have to get a replacement cover for the chain? 

Can you confirm that the kit you bought is the "A" version or the "B" version, the "A" version it seems is for the earlier engines and the "B" is for the later engines, ie post the change date in 2011.  

Now I personally know nothing about this but, a guy in Italy wanted to sort his earlier engine properly, ie include the extra changes made to the later engines, so he bought the "wrong" kit and also bought the latest version of the crankshaft sprocket to allow him to use the "B" kit, it seems by replacing the crankshaft sprocket for the latest version of that used in the later engines, you have effectively, as far as camshaft drive is concerned, converted the block to be the later version.

Chain cover, there were at least a couple of changes made to the chain cover to aid stopping the chain jumping, so that Italian guy with a Polo also replaced that in a bid to bring the camshaft drive side of things up to date.

I don't think that Skoda would ever suggest that you bought and fitted the "B" version of that kit because it does not fit the early engine - unless you also replace the crankshaft chain sprocket.

It seems that when buying these kits from your local Skoda dealer, that the money is not very much!

Edit:- from reading a few of these threads about issues with the earlier 1.2TSI 8V engines, it seems that most people have just bought what VW Group offered and accepted it, and not reached/aimed for a proper long time fix like what seems to have been worked out for the 1.4TSI twinchargers, if that is correct it is a pity but maybe owners of cars with the 1.2TSI 8V are not so involved with their cars as the 1.4TSI twincharger owners are.

Edited by rum4mo

I have bought exactly this https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/03f198229a-timing-set-1-2tsi-63kw-77kw-skoda-25113.html

My engine is I believe to be just before 2011 change over. Its CBZA engine 2011 registered but 2010 60 plate. It never got recalled, has I believe they did. 

I can take some photos if it helps it's all stripped down.

I believe that the last early engine was built on 6/11/11 and the new build started 7/11/11 so you will definitely have an early engine.

Always remember that what I’ve written just reflects what someone who really wanted to improve their engine did, you might be happy enough to get it back running and get rid of it - or hope to stay lucky.