1.2 TSI engine cover

It is completely up to personal preference, but why would you want to cover the coils up and limit them from dissipating heat in an already hot environment even more with the cover and shortening their life?

This kind of cosmetic "improvements" in my opinion do more damage than good.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, wirer said:

yes, i have it on 1.2 TSI 81kW. engine cover and logo from aliexpress

IMG_20171120_161650.jpg.087dc8a9cdcdfe7c2961685072939a26.thumb.jpg.3b70b4286e98e2fabfe283e751446468.jpg IMG_20171123_055416.jpg.fe4543c27d91e24eda150ccf387f0d9d.thumb.jpg.2291d0f025e2c0b655efa5ae484df469.jpg IMG_20171123_112513.jpg.cb4849e0026d7ced5b41430a55b3c8f7.thumb.jpg.15340af06045f091db2d0f43eb2bd66e.jpg IMG_20171123_112520.jpg.e07b88f1433076eb68b366560515bdee.thumb.jpg.fdfd2d3e7ed8b4b1ebe331c0e266a3d6.jpg

Looks class mate. Hace you a link for AliExpress please?

2 minutes ago, krigl said:

It is completely up to personal preference, but why would you want to cover the coils up and limit them from dissipating heat in an already hot environment even more with the cover and shortening their life?

This kind of cosmetic "improvements" in my opinion do more damage than good.

Not being rude but they have the cover on as standard on all Audi's mate i.e. 1.2s and 1.4 and i have not seen any complaints about heat dissipation? Unless you've heard of stories. 

Yes, because no one looks at actual data and real world driving situations. For example the middle two cylinders have one time as many misfire counts as the other two. All new plugs do not solve this, neither do new coils. After about 20 km drive misfires start to happen, in about this time engine gets heat-soaked enough to produce this feature. ECU sees this, you do not.

Just saying, not trying to prove a point.

Until engine runs for the warranty period it is good for VW and they couldn't care less. Since ECU compensates for this it will not hurt the engine that much or at all, but affects performance.

Never mind, don't want to argue further.

Have a nice day.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, krigl said:

Yes, because no one looks at actual data and real world driving situations. For example the middle two cylinders have one time as many misfire counts as the other two. All new plugs do not solve this, neither do new coils. After about 20 km drive misfires start to happen, in about this time engine gets heat-soaked enough to produce this feature. ECU sees this, you do not.

Just saying, not trying to prove a point.

Until engine runs for the warranty period it is good for VW and they couldn't care less. Since ECU compensates for this it will not hurt the engine that much or at all, but affects performance.

Never mind, don't want to argue further.

Have a nice day.

Fair enough man. Don't see the conversation as any argument. I am sure your theory is correct as everyday is a school day. 

I have access to VCDS and will be surely keeping a close eye on those values to see it is true?

Edited by singh946

Just to add to the discussion my friends have had fast S3's (350 Bhp +) with Audi TT engine covers on them and they never complaint about failing coil packs or plugs due to head dissipation from the engine covers. Again not trying to prove your theory wrong, just makes me wonder if it is really a issue? 

End of the day, its a small engine cover and am sure it wont have a massive impact on heat soak issues......

Overheating is, I think, stupid. as it was written, why would some engines default to production? the Fabia was only cost-effective, so it doesn't. I have it for 2 years, 70 000km and nothing is ...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-the-VW-Golf-7-Touran-L-new-Jetta-engine-cover-Octavia-EA211-engine-cover-bracket/32829376244.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.53032e0e0EnwMW

• Like 1

Overheating is not the issue, but 'heat soak' can be a consideration as pointed out.

But that is maybe for 'track days' on a hot UK Easter Weekend. Or places that actually are rather hot.

As to UK NSL's of 60 mph, or a motorway run in the height of a UK Summer even if you are at a licence risking 100 mph then the engine cover is the difference between Ooo & Ahaa.

110ps of tyre shreading meaness will get along just fine...

Even mapped to 135ps it will truck along and perform just fine.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

On 23/04/2019 at 11:45, singh946 said:

Anybody here tried this modification on their Fabia's 

singh, it looks nice but that's about it. Technically the coil packs work better and last longer if the air is allowed to flow freely over and around them. It may shorten their life span to restrict that airflow. If you notice, virtually all cars have their coil packs exposed and not covered for this reason.

• Confused 1

Yes, I have noticed that Skoffski but the smaller Fabia's have less airflow around the engine bay. Air management has become a big issue in the engine bay these days and is related to rapid warm up and saving fuel. This produces 'managed hot spots' in the engine bay. Small changes under the bonnet can make quite a difference to how hot some parts of the bay become. Factory designed hot spots can generally be quite useful and if you look around at other makes of car, the coil packs are usually exposed, particularly on smaller modern cars and/or are covered, but with big airflow spaces around them. I'm guessing the actual temperature range of the coil packs will still be acceptable for singh's car with the new cover in place but they are likely to run hotter.  Just saying what the general practice is these days especially on smaller cars.

The thread was about engine covers, and i am pointing out that the VW Group can delete parts not for efficiency but because of cost cutting, 

or the perception on a VW being superior to a lesser brand.

eg

no sound deadening / noise suppression with a Skoda / SEAT but available / standard on a VW.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/455313-sound-absorber-for-engine-bonnet

Edited by Skoffski
  • Haha 1