Rapid Sport, MFSW & Sat Nav

Not completely plug and play. Need coding with VCDS. 

Some threads already on here about head unit upgrades. The Rapid could be had with Amundsen+ from the factory but Columbus can be retro fitted. Post facelift (mid 2015?) head units are not compatible with earlier cars.

There have also been threads on here about retro fitting the MFSW as well.

Edited by camelspyyder

On 29/04/2019 at 09:00, VRSbilly said:

Or just go for the Spaceback which has a much better spec. That was chief amongst my reasoning,.

The only trouble is that the Spaceback is much smaller! 

1 minute ago, Greenline3Matt said:

The only trouble is that the Spaceback is much smaller

I've owned both. I can say that the Spaceback does have a slightly smaller boot but it still has a decent sized boot. To say that the Spaceback is a 'much smaller' car isn't true.

Just now, VRSbilly said:

I've owned both. I can say that the Spaceback does have a slightly smaller boot but it still has a decent sized boot. To say that the Spaceback is a 'much smaller' car isn't true.

The boot is quite a lot smaller isn't it though. My wife has a Spaceback and the Rapid has a much bigger boot. 

11 minutes ago, Greenline3Matt said:

The boot is quite a lot smaller isn't it though. My wife has a Spaceback and the Rapid has a much bigger boot. 

Yes if we are just talking about the boot capacity alone it is approx 415L v 550L. For me personally 415L is ample given its a hatch with folding seat for the times more space may be needed, but we all have different priorities and needs. For me better spec and a half decent boot size was a no brainer.

I still wouldn't say the Rapid Spaceback is a much smaller car though. It's the same car with a smaller boot.

Edited by VRSbilly

4 minutes ago, VRSbilly said:

Yes if we are just talking about the boot capacity alone it is approx 415L v 550L. For me personally 415L is ample given its a hatch with folding seat for the times more space may be needed, but we all have different priorities and needs. For me better spec and a half decent boot size was a no brainer.

I still wouldn't say the Rapid Spaceback is a much smaller car though. It's the same car with a smaller boot.

I really like the Spaceback, but with 2 young children we're lugging buggies and travel cots about so we need a bigger car for holidays etc. For every day the Spaceback ticks a lot of boxes! 

I don't know why you'd need anything bigger than the Rapid, it's a shame it's now discontinued to be honest. 

6 minutes ago, Greenline3Matt said:

I really like the Spaceback, but with 2 young children we're lugging buggies and travel cots about so we need a bigger car for holidays etc. For every day the Spaceback ticks a lot of boxes! 

I don't know why you'd need anything bigger than the Rapid, it's a shame it's now discontinued to be honest. 

Yes it's as good as Octavia size really. Such a shame they offer lower spec I really don't understand why the Spaceback gets the additional spec and the rapid doesn't. 

A MFSW will cost you £100-150 and I imagine a garage will fit and code it for you for probably around the same. Cruise can also be retrofitted.

Sat nav unit can be bought on eBay and fitted yourself but the tricky bits are locating the antenna and DAB aerial. All feasible upgrades and l gives you a bit of a project.

I'm upgding my MFSW to a flat bottom VRS one soon and will be selling the old one so watch this space. 

The Rapid hatchback can have a decent spec if you look at an Elegance / SE with options / SE Connect / Black Edition.

Or dare I say it a Toledo SE Nav / I-Tech / Style Advanced. The identical (Skoda-built) big boot body with all the factory kit included.

But the original Rapid Sport was actually a pauper spec SE dressed up with only different seats and 17 inch alloys.

There's no "Sport" content or extra equipment at all.

If you really want the big boot, and it's great IMO, buy a different spec Rapid (or Toledo) and add bigger wheels and Eibach springs if you need it to look sporty.

Edited by camelspyyder

Just had a look on Autotrader at Rapid petrols

I saw a Black Edition on the first page. Basically a Sport with 17 alloys but with Nav, Cruise, and more toys added.

Also a SE Connect which has Nav, Park sensors and 16 Alloys I think.

Edited by camelspyyder

12 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

The Rapid hatchback can have a decent spec if you look at an Elegance / SE with options / SE Connect / Black Edition.

I have an SE and it came with cruise control, MFSW, Rear Sensors, Bluetooth etc. No climate control but not too bothered about that.

13 hours ago, VRSbilly said:

Sat nav unit can be bought on eBay and fitted yourself but the tricky bits are locating the antenna and DAB aerial. All feasible upgrades and l gives you a bit of a project.

Or go aftermarket and get the full DAB kit for the same price as a 2nd hand unit, plus you don't need to worry about the unlock codes etc.

13 hours ago, Greenline3Matt said:

Maybe consider a roof box? My sister has 2 young children and they opted for a roof box instead of getting a much bigger car. Much cheaper alternative and they get to keep their car!

• 2 weeks later...

I've solved the issue with a 2018 Seat Toledo Excellence. Loads of spec, surprisingly lots more than the Skoda which is a shame because I'd rather have the Skoda. Hopefully I'm picking it up this Saturday morning. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Greenline3Matt said:

I've solved the issue with a 2018 Seat Toledo Excellence. Loads of spec, surprisingly lots more than the Skoda which is a shame because I'd rather have the Skoda. Hopefully I'm picking it up this Saturday morning. 

Obviously Skoda has moved up in the brand snob league. Seat now below Skoda! As one who has had both a Rapid and a Toledo I can say that model for model the Toledo is superior value and since they are both built in the same Skoda factory the build quality should be the same.

3 hours ago, Robbydazzler said:

Obviously Skoda has moved up in the brand snob league. Seat now below Skoda! As one who has had both a Rapid and a Toledo I can say that model for model the Toledo is superior value and since they are both built in the same Skoda factory the build quality should be the same.

For me it's more that for me Skoda have provided excellent customer service, plus my dealer is only round the corner. 

• Like 1