1.2 TSI 77 kW oil consumption

This topic is here to inform other people who might be dealing with similar issues. When I tried to find any topics about other people's 1.2 TSI 77kW engines of the same version having high oil consumption, I could only find something here and there but not a longer story with more information in one place about the additional possible symptoms or what actions are taken by the service.

My 2014 Octavia's 1.2 TSI engine has been using some oil since the beginning. As it needed only one top-up just a few thousand km before annual service, I wasn't very concerned as I understand that this is actually normal with these engines.

I think was some time after 45,000 km service when the engine randomly started stuttering and shaking, lost power, and "check engine" lit up. Interestingly, a restart solved it but I still reported it. The dealer took it in, investigated and found that the spark plugs looked "strange". I was asked about increased oil consumption but as I hadn't noticed anything different back then, I reported "one top-up not long before service". As they were uncertain about the cause and no oil issues were reported by me, just the spark plugs were replaced under warranty.

After 45,000 km service, the next top-up was at about 51,000 km. At 56,000 another top-up was needed. I remembered the question about oil consumption so I reported it. Nothing was found.

During 60,000-72,000 km, the car used 4 litres of oil. During that period, I reported the continuing and increasing oil usage again. A minor oil leak was found and the valve cover gasket was replaced. Also, two more issues arised - random (minor) stuttering at idle and start/stop system randomly failed to start the car normally (started up, then died at the same moment, started up again fine, then - but not always - reported start/stop system error until restart). When scanning with OBDEleven, I saw that "cylinder misfire detected" was logged with a note "intermittent" on all 4 cylinders and misfire counter could also be seen increasing pretty frequently when looking at live data.

The car was taken in again and this time it was decided that the cylinder head would be replaced. This was done at 74,000 km. At 77,000 km, another top-up was needed. At 78,000 km the level had fallen to the middle of the dipstick. Reported that the cylinder head replacement didn't solve my issues. This time they wanted to measure the consumption so they filled it up again with exactly measured quantity of oil, and I had to drive at least 1000 km and then come back. After this, the official consumption was even higher than I expected (I was already prepared to argue with them if the result was "just below" 0,5/1000 that is stated in the owner's manual) - 0,6 litres per 1000 km.

I just got information that the pistons will be replaced with an updated version, a 1,5 day job (under warranty).

Although the situation is very inconvenient, I'm really happy that I invested a small sum to get 5 years of warranty instead of 4, otherwise I might be dealing with the costs myself (or at least fighting for "goodwill" and arguing "failed repair").

Edited by Mardu
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mardu said:

This topic is here to inform other people who might be dealing with similar issues. When I tried to find any topics about other people's 1.2 TSI 77kW engines of the same version having high oil consumption, I could only find something here and there but not a longer story with more information in one place about the additional possible symptoms or what actions are taken by the service.

My 2014 Octavia's 1.2 TSI engine has been using some oil since the beginning. As it needed only one top-up just a few thousand km before annual service, I wasn't very concerned as I understand that this is actually normal with these engines.

I think was some time after 45,000 km service when the engine randomly started stuttering and shaking, lost power, and "check engine" lit up. Interestingly, a restart solved it but I still reported it. The dealer took it in, investigated and found that the spark plugs looked "strange". I was asked about increased oil consumption but as I hadn't noticed anything different back then, I reported "one top-up not long before service". As they were uncertain about the cause and no oil issues were reported by me, just the spark plugs were replaced under warranty.

After 45,000 km service, the next top-up was at about 51,000 km. At 56,000 another top-up was needed. I remembered the question about oil consumption so I reported it. Nothing was found.

During 60,000-72,000 km, the car used 4 litres of oil. During that period, I reported the continuing and increasing oil usage again. A minor oil leak was found and the valve cover gasket was replaced. Also, two more issues arised - random (minor) stuttering at idle and start/stop system randomly failed to start the car normally (started up, then died at the same moment, started up again fine, then - but not always - reported start/stop system error until restart). When scanning with OBDEleven, I saw that "cylinder misfire detected" was logged with a note "intermittent" on all 4 cylinders and misfire counter could also be seen increasing pretty frequently when looking at live data.

The car was taken in again and this time it was decided that the cylinder head would be replaced. This was done at 74,000 km. At 77,000 km, another top-up was needed. At 78,000 km the level had fallen to the middle of the dipstick. Reported that the cylinder head replacement didn't solve my issues. This time they wanted to measure the consumption so they filled it up again with exactly measured quantity of oil, and I had to drive at least 1000 km and then come back. After this, the official consumption was even higher than I expected (I was already prepared to argue with them if the result was "just below" 0,5/1000 that is stated in the owner's manual) - 0,6 litres per 1000 km.

I just got information that the pistons will be replaced with an updated version, a 1,5 day job (under warranty).

Although the situation is very inconvenient, I'm really happy that I invested a small sum to get 5 years of warranty instead of 4, otherwise I might be dealing with the costs myself (or at least fighting for "goodwill" and arguing "failed repair").

Nah about warranty, most would just trade it! 0.6l per 1000km is not that excessive, our nissan 1.2 turbo was nearly 50% more! and nissan initially said it was ok. They eventually did a software update which prevented the throttle valve from closing as much when releasing throttle, reducing vacuum that sucked in oil to combustion chamber. It worked quiet  well, ended up about 2000 miles to litre. Do you coast a lot down hills, especially in lower gears using the engine braking? If so I would limit that as these modern little engines have oil that is so thin when hot it can cause these sort of things. 

Can’t see what pistons have to do with it, unless wrong size was fitted. Rings yes, but you said pistons. Nissan also changed pistons and rings on the worst 1.2’s. It was claimed wrong sizes were fitted on the Renault” production line.  Personally I wouldn’t want a car that some Skoda garage have stripped and rebuilt to that degree. 

7 hours ago, teescom09 said:

Nah about warranty, most would just trade it! 0.6l per 1000km is not that excessive, our nissan 1.2 turbo was nearly 50% more! and nissan initially said it was ok. They eventually did a software update which prevented the throttle valve from closing as much when releasing throttle, reducing vacuum that sucked in oil to combustion chamber. It worked quiet  well, ended up about 2000 miles to litre. Do you coast a lot down hills, especially in lower gears using the engine braking? If so I would limit that as these modern little engines have oil that is so thin when hot it can cause these sort of things. 

Can’t see what pistons have to do with it, unless wrong size was fitted. Rings yes, but you said pistons. Nissan also changed pistons and rings on the worst 1.2’s. It was claimed wrong sizes were fitted on the Renault” production line.  Personally I wouldn’t want a car that some Skoda garage have stripped and rebuilt to that degree. 

0.6l per 1000 km is excessive according to Škoda. The manual officially states 0.5l / 1000 km to be the maximum "normal" oil consumption depending on certain driving conditions or engine load. So not a case of "not that excessive". I live in Estonia, we don't have hills to coast down from, and I use the gears the DSG chooses.

As I understand, the problem may come from piston rings but for similar cases, the pistons are usually also affected and worn. I forgot to mention that the piston rings would also be replaced but it would have been a logical assumption that the rings would be replaced with the pistons anyway.

Not necessarily, you wouldn’t normally want to replace rings on a engine with a few miles on as the rings and bores have worn and bedded as a pair. Eventually the bore will become slightly oval and the rings the same so still ok as a pair. The bores should at least be honed for new rings. And rebored if higher mileage. The result in worst case is poor compression and higher oil consumption. 

Your pistons will have nil wear, they just don’t unless 100,s of 1000Ks Probably a tighter piston is the reasoning. And modified rings. As long as the mileage is low.  

Personally I would sell it or just put the oil in which isn’t a great amount but bloody annoying. 

16 hours ago, teescom09 said:

Personally I would sell it or just put the oil in which isn’t a great amount but bloody annoying. 

It will probably be sold but... why on earth would I just accept putting oil in it if I have warranty to sort it out?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

You should take your car to a dealer or trusted mechanic and get them to check the camshaft phaser pulleys located at the top of the timing cover (easily removed to check) and driven by the cambelt.

1.0 and 1.2tsi engines of certain bulid dates have a known issue where one or both phasers start to come apart (bolts come undone and drop out, dumping oil in the timing cover and on the cambelt. Eventually leading to catastrophic failure if not caught in time.

Requires cleaning up, new pulleys and cambelt and timing to be setup.

You may be able to see oil round bottom of timing cover, or on the undertray in that area.

Edited by xman