No air from vents

Coming back from Cornwall today, I noticed the temperature in the car was getting quite warm, so I checked the climate control and set it down to 17 degrees. The fan speed went up but the air was not blowing into the cabin and the car cabin temp just got hotter. Quite a few miles further on there was a change in the fan note and the air started to come through and has been ok since. This did happen before funnily enough on the way down to Cornwall last year, it was raining and the fans were not clearing condensation from the screen because no air was being blown through. it was as if a flap had not opened or something. Was going to look for a fault code with OBD Eleven but got an error message on that "device is not Authorised" Only had the OBD eleven for 2 months, not happy with it. Anyone had anything similar happen or any ideas? thanks

5 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

Definitely sounds like one or more of the flaps in the HVAC not moving correctly.

Try finding someone local you with VCDS to do a scan to isolate which flap(s).

Did a scan with OBDeleven, no fault logged.

2 hours ago, lway said:

Worth giving this a go while you're at it.

I agree it's worth a go, all is working fine at the moment, though it was uncomfortably hot with the sun shining through the glass for about 70 miles of the M5.

1 hour ago, stanian said:

Did a scan with OBDeleven, no fault logged.

I don't use OBDeleven so excuse the possibly obvious question - but does it also record intermittent faults (which it sounds like is what you might have)?

17 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

I don't use OBDeleven so excuse the possibly obvious question - but does it also record intermittent faults (which it sounds like is what you might have)?

I believe it does record intermittants, as it showed a tyre pressure warning that I had cleared from the display the previous week. I did the recallibration as in the video above and all the flaps moved to various positions whilst callibrating. So if it happens agian I will perform this  to see if it resets it. Finding an intermittant fault is a pain but only happend twice so it's not too bad ..........yet.

50 minutes ago, stanian said:

I believe it does record intermittants, as it showed a tyre pressure warning that I had cleared from the display the previous week. I did the recallibration as in the video above and all the flaps moved to various positions whilst callibrating. So if it happens agian I will perform this  to see if it resets it. Finding an intermittant fault is a pain but only happend twice so it's not too bad ..........yet.

I had an intermittent HVAC flap problem on my previous car (Audi RS4) which turned out to be a mechanical problem with the linkage on the motor - the joint between 2  parts of the linkage could jam causing the flap not to move. I solved it after removing the motor and doing some careful removal of sharp edges on the joint parts - much cheaper than a new motor - which wouldn't have solved the problem anyway!

• 2 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've been experiencing this on my 2010 Yeti. Fans blow nicely for a short while, but then it seems to taper off until the flow is next to nothing. I can crank the fan speed right up and it doesn't really change the amount of air that blows out the vents. It also seems to make a bit of a weird Woooshing noise as if the airflow is being partially blocked. I tried the 'Recalibration' trick, but it didn't fix it. I assume the Fan Flaps aren't behaving as they should do, but whether it's the flaps themselves or whatever is controlling them I'm not sure.