1.5 TSI Octavia production

Hi folks, polling the skodian masses hopefully.

Here's my little first purchase story.

Back in the end of February, I placed an ordered a brand new 1.5 TSI DSG Ambition  (optioned with discounted packs, +  a few little practical extras) , with a  contract delivery date for end of May.

9 days later changed some options within the 10 allowable days, with approval by email then follow up to check everything is in motion (added canton, Sunroof, removed a few other things).

Unfortunately the car is still not in production, and after 2 queries to the dealer pushing Skoda Import for details, the dealer is saying they can't get any info nor a build date from the factory, only that it will be built... before the end of September! Also no explanation for the delay, other than they have, in my view, the cheek to remind me that changing the options incurs the possibility of late delivery (of which I allowed in writing 10 days).

They did offer ( actual words used "we are willing") to cancel free of charge as I need the car by June, as I have a  mini-me on the way ( :-) ). Well that's nice ....  Except the cancelling option is actually a legal requirement by law  when the delivery delay exceeds 25% of the original order, so make what you want out of that.... Maybe my distrust of salesmen talk is reading too much into into their choice of words. Still, all feels a bit twisty. 

Anyone else across Europe having big production delays with their Octy, or did someone c**k up my order and they don't have the decency to admit it and deal with it?

I'm aware of the kangarooing and sudden power drop issues on the 1.5 tsi manuals, an some issues withe DSGs, and likely a change in WLTP certification, which could be plausible reasons. Fair enough.

What irks me the most is the salesman talk. You know, polite yet vague, and unspecific, and "not our fault/responsibility" tone...

Does not bode well image wise for Skoda or as a sales experience. 

Dealer email goes like this.:

"Despite or will the manufacture is still not able to give an official and definitive date regarding the production of your car.

The only information known at the moment is that the car will be produced before end of September.

Since the modifications of the car there was a possibility of a delay like explained (email 9 maart 2019 - 14:33):

“I do understand your request but no date will be given regarding the possible delay of your car in case of modification because this outside my control”.

Regarding your situation we do understand your need of a car and are willing to cancel free of charge the purchase to give you the possibility of a quicker solution."

What do you guys make of this? Fair or smell of subtle weaseling?  

Cheers

S.

Edited by superchiwawa

It'll could be because of WLTP testing - As far as I know they have to test every possible combination of a car including sunroofs etc

Edited by bigjohn

Possible. That’s true for all homologation since the new EU protocols, not just cars.

Why aren’t they capable of communicating? Do they think it’s bad for business? It’s more the other way round in my view!

Not necessarily relevant to your situation but I ordered a Kodiaq VRS on 28th March (with optional extras) and I've been told it's been built and will be here in the first week of June.

So something isn't right with your experience.

Could be as simple as adding a sunroof. That kind of spec change is a big deal and has been known to delay the production of a car for some time. The other points about TSI production are also valid. Perhaps try to phone another dealer with the pretence of making an order, see if someone else can give you an estimated lead time. If you find a dealer willing to commit to a date, exercise your right to cancel and order with them.

Just maybe Skoda Belgium have some backbone unlike Skoda / VW Group UK and are not importing any 1.5 TSI EVO engine vehicles until Skoda CZ / VW Germany sort out properly the issues with these engines.

Delivering cars that then still need a Software Update is just ridiculous as has been happening even in the past month.

Unlikely to be Skoda Belgium rejecting delivery of cars. The majority of complaints about the 1.5tsi are from manual transmission owners, the dsg equipped vehicles seem acceptable.

More likely to be shortage of petrol engines, or disruptions from planning for mk4 and hybrid/phev/ev options, sunroof supply issues, or ongoing wltp verification issues.

A lot of manufacturers have set now set up in the Czech and Slovak republics following VW initial succesful investments and I bet Skoda have lost a lot good people to them.

Just wanted to chip in..

On a new Octavia Estate with optional sunroof and Electric operated seats, the delivery time in Denmark was mid August 2019.

If I am to add heated windscreen, the delivery date is mid october :-O.

@Gerrycan

The 'Majority' of complaints might well be with 'manuals'  the Software Updates and cars sitting at dealerships awaiting being made 'fit for purpose' includes DSG's 

and the DSG's with cutting out 'characteristics' are without a doubt dangerous.

So even if 1.5TSI EVO 150ps DSG vehicles with issues are in the minority it is still a 'fail' with the ones that have these.

VW Group / Skoda lost 'good people' / Engineers because they left on Gardening Leave or moved on before arrested...

If they had enough Good Engineers and Software Providers that can be trusted then maybe they would not have tuned out 'lemons', 

and the 'New Hybrids would have 1.5 TSI engines and not 1.4 TSI's.

Screenshot 2019-05-07 at 18.51.21.png

Screenshot 2019-05-07 at 18.52.44.png

Screenshot 2019-05-08 at 08.10.20.png

Edited by Skoffski

• 2 weeks later...