Rear dash cam location

Where have folks mounted their rear dash cams? 

I have run the wire all the way to the rear, but the plug wouldn’t fit though the connector bellows to the hatch annoyingly, so it is just run along the boot seal now.

i am tempted to try some really strong magnets and attach it to the head lining at the top of the boot opening (I did stick it there but it started to sag pretty quick).

any other ideas? Just to make it more of a pain I have car shades fitted and from playing if the camera is too close it just sees the mesh if it’s further back it can see through it,  but if I can find a good mounting location then I can always mod the shades if needed so the camera can see through it.

I bought another bellows for the cable when I retrofitted the reversing camera, (I filled the N/S one with the dashcam cable), they're less than £10, though this may mean you'll need to re-route the cable to the other side. 

I've also got car shades and I got a sharp blade and cut a flap just big enough to go over the rear camera (BlackVue).

The only issue I have is that the combination of taking the tailgate trim off a couple of times and the cable to the rear camera the trim to glass gap is now larger than factory and the clips work their way out. Carshades sent me some longer ones which helped. 

Have you got tinted windows? I had a look at a rear camera but quickly dismissed it as when I tried relocating my front one temporarily, you could hardly make the picture out in the dark

12 minutes ago, tunedude said:

Have you got tinted windows? I had a look at a rear camera but quickly dismissed it as when I tried relocating my front one temporarily, you could hardly make the picture out in the dark

I've got the factory privacy glass which isn't that dark, the BlackVue has no issue with the tint. We got the blinds for the dogs and Mrs Cakemonster is a triathlete and if the dogs aren't in the boot a £3k time trial bike is.

It's quite discreet from the outside, to the point I've considered a naff sticker to ward off tailgaters 

20190515_103928.jpg

• Like 1

I’m the same I have factory tint buts it’s not dark so the car shades make things better.

ill speak to TPS about another bellows. Don’t suppose you know the part number do you? Just makes things easier.

how hard was the rear trim to get off? 

I can just make it out on the bellows 5E9 971 829 

If you've got a set of trim tools, it's not too bad, you need to take the inner rubber handle off, that's the only bolt 

I posted some pics from the manual here

The part number has a A on the end, just ordered one for tomorrow less than. £5 on my account which is a bonus! Also ordered a mini USB extension lead so I don’t have to faff re routing the connector from the front camera to the rear, 

• Thanks 1