Strange noise behind the dashboard

Afternoon all. 

I've recently arrived and the conclusion that a noise I occasionally hear seemingly  from behind the dashboard is related to me starting and stopping the engine using the ignition button. It sounds like a flap opening or closing. It ranges from a soft clonk to a more audible clunk. I don't hear it when start stop is active.  It's all very perplexing. Any ideas? 

When you get in, and turn the ignition on, there will be a “whirr ... clunk” noise from behind the steering wheel and below the instruments, which is the steering lock unlocking.  If you watch the steering wheel, you may see it twitch.

• Thanks 1

May be related to climate control. My last Skoda used to make a similar noise when starting the the climate control adjusted airflow by what I presume are electronically controlled vents behind the dash.

• Thanks 1

I have this and almost sounds like windscreen wiper motor as if it was just finishing a sweep . It’s always done this but I’ll try turning aircon off completely before shutting off see if it helps 

It’s the same as my previous Yeti, the wiper blades move slightly so they’re not in the same set position on the screen.

DFC992F2-1CBA-46F6-A1D6-CDAD15D5368A.thumb.jpeg.1d41e18a00921d8810aced1dadef8eb7.jpeg

Edited by Kenny R

Thanks everyone, some interesting leads for me. Using this new found knowledge I'll monitor the ongoing situation and see what I pinpoint.  I'm minded to believe it's climate control associated. It sounds like a vent engaging or releasing with a dull 'thunk'. 

There are an awful lot of electrical control modules at various stages of powering up and down, togther with the Climatronic system doing its thing.

The only clunk though will be the wipers jumping a few centimeters with each cycle of the ignition.

• 4 years later...

Hi all, I'm new here on this space and on this very topic i need some advice, comment, opinion or anyone came across my situation a "repeated ticking noise" can be heaed from my Kodiaq  dashboard. I visited several times to the Skoda service workshop still did not they did not rectified the noise issue. The service centre told me the noise is from behind and they had since tightern up portential loose parts but still the noise seems to came from the dashboard despite reported many time.

Do you guys experience such noise.

I've some recording clips but the file size to attach is limited here.

@beeflyawayFirst world problem I know -  but I have a ticking noise which I suspect is the climatronic passenger hot / cold flap actuator and happens when it’s about set temperature and controlling. It can be stopped by changing the passenger side temperature, but then it returns. It’s an irritating rattle / ticking that happens even when not moving. I’ve tried the recalibration procedure but to no avail. I’m hoping to get it looked at under warranty but I’m not confident they’ll sort it.

Try turning the climatronic off and see if the ticking disappears.

Greenliner1, 

Thanks for the respone and good to take note on the climatic control device.

Incidentally I have downloaded a video clip on a recording capturing the weird ticking noise using my mobile phone. You may want to download the video clip (it is under- scroll all the way down to bottom under the SECTIONS - Download) a new page will open and it is under the clip located on the left hand side - beeflyaway..  click on the download to hear the noise see if this resembles the noise you had experienced before. Also please turn on the phone volume to max.. you will hear clearly the ticking noise. 

Yes I can hear the clicking noise, but is sounds a bit louder and slightly more rhythmic than the issue I’m having.

It sounds like something electro-mechanical, but what I don’t know.

All I can suggest is trying different controls such as the climatronic to try to see if it stops, otherwise it’s down to detective work.

Good luck and happy hunting.