Loud knocking from rear underside of car..

On 19/12/2019 at 08:18, NICK87 said:

Had the car in for an oil change service and mentioned this continued loud knocking  - from the nearside front, whenever I go over any bumps in the road or the road is in anyway uneven.....

They still can't find what it is  - third garage to look at it !

It's clearly something , would it need a complete strip down somewhere to try and find it ?

Yeah Im having the same  mate. They are saying they dont know what it might be lol . ANd its still there. mine is coming from the bakc tho.

• 3 weeks later...

My Octavia 2011 1.6tdi has been rattling and 'knocking' for a month...I've had two new front £20 bars (tensioners?) fitted but its still there. It was on a ramp and nothing could be seen that was obvious. 

Over rough road it drives me potty. Years ago my Nissan had similar noises and the problem was the top of the suspension arms damping would wear and then metal would knock. So I'm

getting my garage to check suspension out next, as well as heat shields and stones in the works!

• Like 1

On 05/06/2019 at 17:18, Bobbyj said:

I have the same problem currently with my scoda Octavia (2016). When I drive over a slightly bumpy surface I get that rattling sound also. Scoda told me I needed new drop links but my local mechanic noticed that if you apply slight pressure to the brake when going over rough surface the noise goes away which lead him to believe that the rattle is coming from the brakes. He also told me that skoda's Volkswagen' etc don't come with anti vibration clips which causes that issue. I would suggest try applying slight pressure to the brake at a slow pace on the bumpy surface and if the noise disappears then the noise is coming from the brake. Let me know how you get on. Cheers. 

My Skoda has the same noise and I did discover that soft braking over rough road surfaces helped 'dampen' that noise but, could that be from the car dipping down under braking reacts on the suspension?

In my case, the brake pads were an incorrect fit. The mechanic fitted the wrong ones and they were slightly smaller hence the rattling noise. I got the correct factory ones and that solved the issue. I say it is worth checking that the brake pads you have are the correct fit. Hope that helps. 

2 hours ago, Bobbyj said:

In my case, the brake pads were an incorrect fit. The mechanic fitted the wrong ones and they were slightly smaller hence the rattling noise. I got the correct factory ones and that solved the issue. I say it is worth checking that the brake pads you have are the correct fit. Hope that helps. 

Thanks Bobbyj.....The brakes have not been done on mine for seven years, its possible that as they've worn there is a gap between pad and drum to cause this but I'm still in the dark.

On 19/01/2020 at 17:22, mydadscar said:

My Octavia 2011 1.6tdi has been rattling and 'knocking' for a month...I've had two new front £20 bars (tensioners?) fitted but its still there. It was on a ramp and nothing could be seen that was obvious. 

Over rough road it drives me potty. Years ago my Nissan had similar noises and the problem was the top of the suspension arms damping would wear and then metal would knock. So I'm

getting my garage to check suspension out next, as well as heat shields and stones in the works!

I listened to the 'video' clip mentioned earlier and the noise off mine isn't anything like it. My car has an almost dulled metallic knocking that definitely follows the amount of road surface roughness ie. going over a manhole cover and it will knock once but over a series of bunps or similar bad surface it will be a consistent amount of 'knockings' like a persons hand knuckle knocking on a solid surface.....I still think its suspension or an exhaust mount replacement or maybe it is as BobbyJ mentioned, brakes.

On 22/01/2020 at 12:16, mydadscar said:

Thanks Bobbyj.....The brakes have not been done on mine for seven years, its possible that as they've worn there is a gap between pad and drum to cause this but I'm still in the dark.

I've since attempted to manually move the actual disc brake assembly (fronts) with my finger gripping a recessed part of the metal and the nearside/left one is quite firmly in place. However, the offside/right disc does move upwrads slightly and there is a 'knock' as the disc moves maybe 2mm upwards....Could this be what is continually knocking over the bumpiest roads. As mentioned, when I apply brakes over bad road surface the knocking doesn't occur?

Any ideas people, any positive experience would be welcome.

In my case when I applied slight pressure to the breaks over a bumpy surface the knocking noise stopped. My mechanic fitted the proper factory fitted brake pads and the knocking stopped. The old brake pads where after market ones that mite have been suitable for most models of vehicle..but not on the Octavia. 

• Like 1

On 27/01/2020 at 17:49, Bobbyj said:

In my case when I applied slight pressure to the breaks over a bumpy surface the knocking noise stopped. My mechanic fitted the proper factory fitted brake pads and the knocking stopped. The old brake pads where after market ones that mite have been suitable for most models of vehicle..but not on the Octavia. 

Thanks Bobbyj....I'm leaning towards getting the pads done as I'm told when the car was serviced they have maybe a couple of thousand miles left in them. They haven't been done by me in seven years so due a change.

• Like 1

On 27/01/2020 at 17:49, Bobbyj said:

I just found this on a site called 'knowyourparts.com'  ! I'm not sure if the advice is to buy just the pads or the whole assembly?

The knocking noise mentioned earlier is caused by the brake pads rattling in the brackets. This diagnosis is easy and can bee performed on the initial road test. Lightly apply pressure to the brakes while going over a potholed road. If the noise is gone, the pads are moving. To fix the rattling pads, buy a hardware kit with the parts needed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/01/2020 at 09:13, Bobbyj said:

@mydadscar keep me posted let me know if that sorts it mate 

I finally got the front pads and discs replaced. The discs were 'passable' but after 91000 miles I thought for £52 more its worth getting replacements.

I bought the car at 16000 so this is the first pad and disc change it would have had.

The total cost from my independent mechanic was £139 all in.

NO KNOCKING anymore!

Marvelous. I have no concrete mechanical idea how this has stopped it but as the pads were getting close to end of life the knocking had definitely started up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bobbyj said:

Great job! Glad you got it sorted pal! 

Yes its a relief to lose that annoying knocking. I did ask my mechanic (he's not a Skoda garage) to fit better parts and not cheapo's so these should last a while.

I was surprised I got around 90000 miles on the last set. I'm certain the previous owner wouldn't have changed them during 16000 mile ownership.

• 10 months later...

Well, the driver rear side is fixed ..... it was the rear seat rattling against the metal piece it clicks into. I just put some tape over it and its fine. On the other side I still have this rattinh going on from rear passenger side, when going like 60+ miles/hour. If someone is sitting there it seems to be fine so idk.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi. Have have a knocking on bumpy roads etc for 18 months now, and have had springs, ball joints, bushes, anti-roll bar, gearbox/engine mounts, steering rack etc checked 4 times now but all are ok and tight. Soon as they put up on ramp so wheels drop it stops for a day or two then starts again. My garage finally think they know what is, Front dampers. It’s been driving me nutso’s, so much so I have hated driving it.. are have them changed next week so will confirm if problem is gone. 

3 hours ago, Harper2016 said:

Hi. Have have a knocking on bumpy roads etc for 18 months now, and have had springs, ball joints, bushes, anti-roll bar, gearbox/engine mounts, steering rack etc checked 4 times now but all are ok and tight. Soon as they put up on ramp so wheels drop it stops for a day or two then starts again. My garage finally think they know what is, Front dampers. It’s been driving me nutso’s, so much so I have hated driving it.. are have them changed next week so will confirm if problem is gone. 

I have numerous noises coming from the front suspension on a 35k 2020 car. Mechanic can’t find anything wrong so I had a shock absorber changed to see what happens and it was still noisy over rough ground. As a taxi driver it is driving me mental and I don’t have unlimited funds to change out every part of the suspension. 

• 8 months later...

Tending to point to drop links for me, had monroe shocks, new disks pads and calipers fitted , still the rapid knocking over slight bumps, sounds like a ball joint/tie rod kind of knock. Back to the mechanic, thanks for all the input guys, ;)

• Confused 1