Fabia VRS MK2 Engine/Electric issues?

So after an hours worth of investigation 4 fault codes are showing, one per cylinder. Dealer has asked for another hour labour, £130 + vat, to check spark plugs and compression test etc!! Initial investigation £60+ vat. All seems a bit ridiculous and over priced to me?!

4 minutes ago, MRA13 said:

So after an hours worth of investigation 4 fault codes are showing, one per cylinder. Dealer has asked for another hour labour, £130 + vat, to check spark plugs and compression test etc!! Initial investigation £60+ vat. All seems a bit ridiculous and over priced to me?!

All jobs have an estimated time against them 'x' the hourly labour rate. Seems reasonable given modern day prices.

• Like 3

So, they said a couple of issues, sparking issues so spark plugs are being changed and their diagnostic also said the battery is defective!? (The battery is brand new and higher rated than standard). I've said to change the plugs and re test. Compression test and battery connections all fine. Parts in tomorrow morning.

Are we doing jobs twice?

If the spark plugs were out then changing them then was the sensible thing for the £40 in parts.

That would have been £100 plus VAT and then ready to road test after clearing fault codes and then reading again.

PS

You said before that the spark plugs were checked, 

who was it that had a Service Report saying they checked the spark plugs?

(As to any issue with Compression if there is, thank goodness you have the warranty.  You do have the Warranty, so remember, any Known Issues were not known by you.) 

Edited by Skoffski

Very odd before reading this thread my car hadnt done this so today, jumped in my car and it struggled to start the dash lights went very dim then it kicked into life. I find it very strange that its never done it i read that post and its happend lmao  I'm on the mk2 vrs page on fbook and in the last mnth or two a lot of 2011 dsg’s are failing. 

Makes me wonder is there a certain date like after 6-7 years built into the system to fail purposefully just seems rather odd all cars have different mileages hmmmm 

Edited by GT0161

A few things happen even sometimes before 6-7 years.

The battery is getting to end of life. 

The alarm siren battery is getting to end of life.

The door to body wires can short.  

The Water Pump can cause issues and that includes the Supercharger Magnetic clutch, and bad connections, and EPC lights or Engines Emissions light, 

using the CC can have it happening and the car going into limp mode.

An ignition coil can go as one spark plug  regularly gets cooked more than is healthy.

The Exhaust is getting old, the sensors are getting loose, and various other things.

Had spark plugs changed, readout from their tests indicate no misfires. Drove the car home and when in cruise control at 30mph car remained in D6 roughly 1600rpm and was shaking slightly. At standstill the ticking sound has gone but it is rough idling so either the new battery is defective like they said or something else is awry. Also noticed my drls have been deactivated and I can't get in to the mfd menu to reactivate. All in all quite frustrating. I'll upload a video of the shaking/rough idle shortly.

Your switch for the DRL's is in beside the fuses if you have one. This was deleted in later cars.

Does your car go into 'D7' OK?

No point uploading a video of the engine shaking, you should take it back to get the problem diagnosed.

Misfires only log if enough in a cycle.

No fault codes logged does not mean no misfires.

If you were to boot the car and be on Supercharger and Turbo charger under load and under 3,500 rpm the engine might well go into limp mode.

So do not do that. 

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GT0161 said:

@MRA13 the drl switch is next to the fuses mate 

Thank you

2 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

Your switch for the DRL's is in beside the fuses if you have one. This was deleted in later cars.

Does your car go into 'D7' OK?

Thank you, yes D7 no problem. Just not very smooth since these engine misfires/issues arose. Doesn't like it when in Sport and revs being held still.

This was as I pulled up at home today having picked car up this afternoon. There is lots of shaking which the video might not illustrate. I'll contact rac as well tomorrow and say battery has been reported as defective and see if a replacement will cure these issues. Also awaiting call back from the dealer.

Edited by MRA13

1 minute ago, Skoffski said:

Get a diagnosis, do not boot it.  The turbo can be disabled, or 2 cylinders shut down under load with misfires.

Thanks, I haven't used anything like full revs. The compression test etc showed no issues. Maybe it is the battery but car starts fine. Could be something else draining it.

On 12/06/2019 at 20:57, Skoffski said:

How much has this messing about cost you when you already had a Health Check carried out?

You need to find someplace that is not just treating you like the Goose that lays the Golden Egg.

I've raised a complaint to Skoda Customer Services, the dealership will re inspect the car for free and I will contact them to book it in.

The battery is fine, the Skoda technician read the battery in DIN not EN which it is rated in!

The car is still juddering at standstill, intermittently. Then today I again received flashing EML! Their first plan  was to replace the spark plugs and re-test which supposedly gave no misfires but on my way home the engine still didn't feel right.

https://youtu.be/eEHzJ6yskLY

p.s. on a more positive note I installed my LED interior lights and they look great. Looking to upgrade the headlight bulbs too, once the engine issues are sorted.

Edited by MRA13

2 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

Quite possibly a breather pipe not connected or now punctured, as is common for some reason when plugs are changed at main dealers.

They need to get their act together. 

Yes, seems like something related to breathing if the issue of sparking is rectified. Overall not feeling confident given recent experience in terms of diagnosis and supposed solution.

Just now, UrbanPanzer said:

Where abouts are you ? Im down in milton keynes tomorrow, could plug in if your local and see what fault codes appear ?

Thank you, I'm a bit further down just off junc 4 of M40 so might be a bit far. PM if you want to discuss meeting up Cheers. The rac engineer retested the new battery he installed yesterday, he also checked the engine as I mentioned the juddering despite new spark plugs and he didn't pick up any engine faults with his diagnostic, but I only experienced eml flashing today.

Ahhhh .... quite away down then.... Would be happy to meet around milton keynes area, I'm down there for work meeting but would be available in the afternoon, but if yours is like it is then ideally you don't really want to be driving it

Have you had a look at the breather pipes ? around the plug coil packs ?

Did you find the DRL switch?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, UrbanPanzer said:

Ahhhh .... quite away down then.... Would be happy to meet around milton keynes area, I'm down there for work meeting but would be available in the afternoon, but if yours is like it is then ideally you don't really want to be driving it

Have you had a look at the breather pipes ? around the plug coil packs ?

Did you find the DRL switch?

Thanks  yes with the engine issues I am restricted to short local journeys until it's resolved. I will checkout the pipes as you suggest. Where are these located please? Yep, I sorted the drls thanks. Cheers

The epc light came on today as the car limped even more, accompanied by flashing eml. The dealer cannot guarantee to see the car until next week! I already have a complaint logged with skoda UK. I'm going to get an independent garage near me to also take a look. Older threads speak of coil packs, fuel pumps, water pumps etc all contributing to these symptoms...let's. Either way the car is much worse now since the new spark plugs and supposedly no misfires.

So likely the Water Pump / Supercharger Magnetic Clutch if never replaced.

Something for some reason Main Dealer Techs seem unaware cause the issues you have.

Do you need the threads bumped or can you find them, part numbers etc?

I did ask in my first post.

Reason being it is usually the issue, especially if a Dealership do a health check.

Then they want an hour or 2 to diagnose the issue, even if you tell them what is wrong...

Screenshot 2019-06-17 at 17.20.32.png

Edited by Skoffski

Thanks, yes that or coil packs perhaps as initial symptoms were worse when car was warmed up. They've agreed to reinspect the car for free but I still prefer a 2nd independent view. We'll see. I am also not sure if the gearbox oil and filter has ever been changed...

Edited by MRA13

Don't let muppets touch your car.

Skoda UK know if they paid for '34F7', and the Dealership can check if it shows on the system as done. 

Sticker in the spare tyre well showing that done if so, or there should be.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

If the Water Pump needs doing some Dealership Master techs put through on Warranty and some do not. 

Since you just got the car, they have messed you about, acted stupid with Spark Plugs etc, push for a Warranty Claim on the Water Pump, 

and not just 20% goodwill or such nonsense.